main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Are older/younger fans split in how they see Luke's arc in TLJ?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Xinau, Dec 20, 2017.

?

How old are you and what did you think of Luke's arc in TLJ?

1. Older than 35 and loved it

51 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. Older than 35 and meh

13 vote(s)
    7.2%
  3. Older than 35 and hated it

21 vote(s)
    11.7%
  4. 35 or younger and loved it

38 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. 35 or younger and meh

16 vote(s)
    8.9%
  6. 35 or younger and hated it

41 vote(s)
    22.8%
  1. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I have nothing generally against humorous lines in Star Wars, but it kind of irked me that the heroic Luke Skywalker that we've come to root for and love's last words were "See you around kid." Now I could understand that being Han's last words but Luke... come on. Maybe something along the lines of..."The Jedi will live on, and so will Ben Solo." Kind of anticlimatic.

I did like the Twin Suns reference though. Other than that little detail, I enjoyed Luke's arc. I even can justify his impulse (which he took back) to kill Kylo. He wanted to protect his father's legacy and was afraid of what he'd done to unravel.

Iron_lord, Paparazzo and Xinau like this.
  2. Yora

Yora Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2016
    I'm 20 and loved everything about Luke in TLJ. Yes, people change so much with the passing years. Nobody is perfect, even legends. His death was sad but incredibly beautiful. I truly felt that he was finally at peace.

3. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    He almost had to have decided to redouble his efforts otherwise the least bad decision would have been to go through with it and probably still was the best call because Kylo isn't the usual fallen character but rather one running to the dark kicking and screaming against the light.
    Ben Solo had every reason not to be evil, in fact he has to struggle mightily to do it but in the end he yearns for it in a very interesting and inexplicable way.

Cabbage Knight and Xinau like this.
  4. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I’m 44 and was there in 1977 when this all began. I loved TLJ. Luke was the Luke I love when it mattered the most. Besides, like Yoda, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gonn, and Anakin, he’s basically immortal. He’ll be back.

5. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    People change over 30 years.

6. One Quarter Portion

One Quarter Portion Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2016
    I'm younger than 20 and I thought Luke's arc was fantastic. One of the best parts of the film, to me.

In particular, the parts with Luke and Yoda, Luke on Crait ( all of it, not just the Kylo bit), and the binary sunset scene are great.

yanote, Xinau and MarcJordan like this.
  7. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Ive seen the movie 5 times so far. Each time I take more positives than the initial confusion I had the first time. But never had any issue with Luke's role with any of the viewings.

MJ

Miles Lodson and Xinau like this.
  8. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    People also learn from the mistakes they made as young adults but he certainly never did from the looks of it.

Paparazzo, Ren Kylo and jimkenobi like this.
  9. Chewie's flea powder

Chewie's flea powder Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    "See you around kid" is Luke paying respect to Han. As to what you think Luke should have said, Luke had long given up on trying to save Ben at this point.

10. civilsecret

civilsecret Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2016
    22 and I loved the movie and Luke's arc and my brother 21 also thought the movie was great, I asked him if he liked Luke before and he said yes and asked what he thought of him in TLJ, he said he liked Luke more. People will agree to disagree, I enjoyed the approach and his ending.

Xinau likes this.
  11. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    As a fan of these movies since watching them on VHS in the 80's I found The last Jedi to be most impressive! Not only did it shatter my expectations it surpassed them! Watching star wars is what i do when i go to my happy place. It's basically my favorite film series of all time!
    When Luke threw that saber behind him it's saying throw your assumptions away. You know nothing. This is not going to go the way you think!
    Okay so snoke went out like a punk. Yeah you know why? Cause he was a fool! He's not some all powerful being like everybody thought. He couldn't even see what kylo was about to do to him. Some all powerful bad guy right?

There are things in each movie I'm not crazy about but as a whole i still view the entire saga as one big happy place that i can go to any time i need it.

Xinau likes this.
  12. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    28 and I loved it. One of the best things in the film was Luke- how he was handled was surprising but worked for me. Luke had a huge responsibility to train new generation of the jedi and try to keep them all at light side best he could. He studied old jedi ways- he went searching the first jedi temple even. But all this responsibility was too much for him and it did broke him down. That's more than enough for me to explain why Luke is what he is. Besides he became hero in the end and I liked the way he tricked everyone in a clever way. His death was not in vain and he saved everyone so how can so many people complain that it was not heroic enough.... I don't get it.

Oh and I liked even the milking the Thala-siren scene- it was funny and there was nothing really inappropriate in it, milking animals is not really sexual or anything. Rey's reaction was priceless though- she was like "ewww". It's not film's fault if you dislike where milk comes from:p

Xinau and Sarge like this.
  13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    yeah, of course. better to see him pleasing a space walrus with his hand, in order to drink green milk

get help.

Xinau likes this.
  14. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    I'm a younger viewer who grew up with the PT. I loved Luke's arc. I thought he had lots of character depth. You could tell he'd came a long way from his youth. I also thought what he did at the end was very noble.

Xinau likes this.
  15. Mandalore464

Mandalore464 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 3, 2011
    35. Meh.

Mostly because his send-off was underwhelming as far as cinematic experiences go. My blood pressure definitely didn't go up. I loved his death scene, but what came before it felt unimaginative and left me wondering if that really was the best Disney could come up with to say farewell to Luke.

As for the whole "killing my nephew in his sleep because of a vision", I was reminded of Yoda's words that "always in motion the future is" and wondered why Luke wouldn't remember them. And why the man who was ready to die to bring his mass-murdering father back to the light would suddenly have the weakness to pre-emptively kill his nephew for crimes he hadn't committed yet.

On the plus side, I loved the whole hermit thing and that he chose to end his life in the original Jedi Temple.

Xinau likes this.
  16. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Well, you need a really high IQ in order to understand why that's a profound choice. :p

17. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    I thought it was wry, a tribute to his old friend, and rang true. I think Luke actually will be seeing his nephew around.

Xinau, Sarge, Ren Kylo and 2 others like this.
  18. OCD_Chad

OCD_Chad Jedi Knight

May 12, 2017
    Obi-Wan did his duty until the very end. He wasn't a jaded old man.

Xinau, Ren Kylo and Gamma626 like this.
  19. OCD_Chad

OCD_Chad Jedi Knight

May 12, 2017
    Also, I hated it. Obi-Wan, probably the most level-headed and compassionate Jedi of all time next to Yoda, had doubts about turning Vader. And then Luke pulls it off. Luke at this point is now on the level of Yoda I would think, and has moved on to being a basically infallible character. You don't need to have him go through a bunch of character development crap again because he already did in the damn OT. You can still have him sacrifice himself, but don't make him just give up and go into exile. Obi-Wan and Yoda did it for a purpose. Obi-Wan needed to watch over Luke and Yoda needed to stay alive because the Force Priestesses said he was to train Luke.

SkywalkerOG and Xinau like this.
  20. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    It doesn't have to be that, but something more climactic. Maybe "The Jedi will rise again yet."

Iron_lord and Xinau like this.
  21. Qui-Gon Keith

Qui-Gon Keith Jedi Master star 2

Oct 5, 2015
    I'm 29, grew up with the Special Edition & later the prequels and I actually hated it after my first viewing. Biggest problem for me was the flashback scene and thought Luke would never in a million years do that to his nephew, let alone a sleeping one. And I also got the feeling they didn't know what to do with Luke any further and didn't want Luke to outshine Rey, so they got rid of him.

Subsequently, I hated it less after 3 more viewings and I'm now in the "love it" segment because I decided to judge the Luke arc by removing his heroic halo and "Luke Skywalker the Legend"; and just treat him as Luke the imperfect (and very human) protagonist from the OT. Everybody fail in life and get second chances to make things right. That's essentially Luke's story in TLJ and boy, did he live up to it at the end with that Force projection power of his and became the heroic Luke we all love.

Even Jedi Masters fail (just ask Obi-Wan and Yoda), so why can't Luke also fail and decide to just walk away ashamed for his mistake while losing faith in the Force all at the same time? Don't get me wrong, I love EU Luke too. Thing is, IMO, EU Luke is more like Super Luke and never did seem that relatable like he did in the OT anymore.

I also like how TLJ Luke will now encourage new fans who have never seen the OT to go back and watch it to fully appreciate Luke's Hero's Journey. Perhaps that's the true legacy of TLJ's Luke Skywalker: allowing new fans to appreciate Luke's pivotal place in the overall saga.

Xinau and Sarge like this.
  22. Oswin Oswald

Oswin Oswald Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 16, 2017
    Uh, Yoda is 900+ years old. Luke will never be at the level of Yoda.

23. Qui-Gon Keith

Qui-Gon Keith Jedi Master star 2

Oct 5, 2015
  24. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I'm 30, had other issues with TLJ but the Luke/Rey/Yoda/Kylo parts were brilliant

Xinau likes this.
  25. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014