main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are Pictures Banned Now?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Diggy , May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Please don't post pictures off of other people's Facebook profiles without their permission

I didn't post a picture of a member of this forum.

I posted a picture found on Facebook, readily available.

If it's not acceptable, then there are a hell of a lot of pictures on here that are not acceptable.

Please restore my post.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  2. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Posting a picture of my girlfriend that's on her private Facebook is not appreciated. I'm sure you can understand that...

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It isn't private. Do you understand Facebook at all?

4. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Yes, her Facebook profile is set to private, and your post of her picture had absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at hand. Nothing. You chose to post it and then started commenting on her when she's not a member of these forums, purely to incite a reaction from me. I am done with that thread and done with posting further thoughts in it about anything. Please, let it go, and move on. I think it's entirely reasonable to ask that you not post pictures of my girlfriend on a Star Wars forum haha.

5. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
  6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    That picture was public... not private. He mentioned nothing about it being your girlfriend, either--you did that. He did nothing against the tos. That pic could have been anybody, and would have remained that way, had you not said anything. Glad to see you're done with the thread, though.

Bowen if you look, you'll see that the picture is set to be viewed publicly (I highlighted the setting in red and pointed to it with an arrow) ... anybody in the world can see it. Nobody's privacy was invaded... nobody (but you) revealed the woman's identity. No rules were broken here.

[​IMG]

7. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Sorry i'm late, the popcorn line was long.

GGrievous, jcgoble3 and Darkslayer like this.
  8. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    You individually have already broken the TOS at least 5 times in that thread alone. You're frankly lucky the moderators look the other way and you're not banned. You repeatedly launched into personal attacks and when this picture was posted, it was obviously done so in inflammatory fashion. Whether or not THAT picture is public makes no difference, her Facebook is private and it didn't belong in the thread. It literally had nothing to do with the discussion at hand whatsoever.

What is your problem? If every Star Wars fan was as big of a troll as you are, we would seriously have some pretty terrible discussions on TFN. You certainly haven't contributed anything meaningful to any thread I've ever seen.

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Nobody was trolling. You took over the thread with your discussion about women wearing clothes that made them look like "hos" (your word, not mine). You talked about how your girlfriend, after you had a talk with her mother about it, now wears "classier" (again, your word, not mine) clothing. The honest question you were asked had everything to do with the discussion you instigated. The post was very respectfully worded, and nobody made the woman's identity known (again, except you). Here's the post.

There was no flame in this post, at all. You brought your girlfriend into the discussion. You talked about her clothing,.the topic was yours, not anybody else's. The thread is about misogyny, entitlement, and nerds... with your posts, you displayed both misogyny and entitlement. The reactions you got were in response to that. Senate threads get heated... they just do. There were no personal attacks made. People just responded to your posts, and you didn't like that they said.

The picture posted could have been any image off of google... people frequently post random images off of google, all day every day. Until you made her identity known (actually you didn't even do that... you claimed ownership of her), she was pretty much anonymous.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

as a strict TOStitutionalist, i believe the letter of the law is clear and the post should be restored. after all if his freedom of posting is violated here to appease the PC police, pretty soon you wont be able to post pictures of people's pets and before you know it incest will be mandatory-what where am i?

11. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    in all serious though posting a picture of the man's daughter is just out of line. she's a minor for godssake

12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Regardless, doesn't this:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/policy-on-sexist-comments.50028096/

apply everywhere in the forum?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    There was no need to report it. The discussion is about misogyny, entitlement, and nerds.. Reporting conflicting viewpoints is pretty pointless in discussions like that. Like I said, senate threads get heated... they're hot button discussions--opposing viewpoints are expected. When one posts an opposing viewpoint to a hot button issue, things tend to get heated. That's the point of senate threads. The thread has been going on for a good while, now. We've had several heated debates... that's what those threads are for.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    The major part of it, which I didn't get across in my edit, was that the girl in the photo was a minor at the time of the photo.

15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

So... are we no longer allowed to post this picture, now?

[​IMG]

I mean, that's a minor, after all.

If you're suggesting that there is anything sexual about the woman's picture, you're being part of the problem. The point is that clothing like that is not "slutty" (Bowen's word, not mine). In Diggy's post, he said he doesn't see anything whorish, etc, in that picture (because there isn't anything whorish about that picture). He just sees a female who looks happy and comfortable. If you or Bowen are sexualizing that picture, that's not helpful. The whole point of posting that, I think, was to show that way of thinking to be ridiculous.

So, has there been a change in the picture policy, or is ms making it up as they go, now?

Diggy likes this.
  16. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    That particular picture is also widely disseminated across the internet. Bowen's girlfriend's picture was taken off of his own Facebook. Yes he set it to public, but he also requested that it be taken down
    . Saying "no I'm not going to remove it because you messed up your FB settings" would be a weak argument.

And why are you suggesting that I'm sexualizing a minor for removing a photo? I've never suggested anything of the sort nor do I feel so. This isn't the first time MS has stepped in to protect a minor. There was a case where we edited a user's own profile because she had posted certain revealing information about herself. So don't even play that game. Not only is it incorrect, its also quite offensive.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I have posted pictures of my three children. I got tons of likes and no edits. Can you explain this discrepancy?

18. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Because you posted the photos of your own children. No one else went on your FB and posted them.

19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Okay, I apologize for offending you, but the way your post was worded, it came across like this minor was wronged in some way, like her image was obscene, or something.. Nobody, but Bowen, even said who this person is. If somebody said, "this is a picture of Bowen's girlfriend," or whatever, yeah, that would be ****ed up. That didn't happen, though. Like I said, I think the whole reason it was posted was to illustrate how ridiculous it is to judge somebody based on what they're wearing... that assigning the labels "slut" or "ho" to a woman in shorts is ridiculous. I'm quite positive there was no malicious intent, at all.

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    So pictures are not allowed unless they're of yourself of family. You're getting caught up in the Facebook thing, like it's some obscure preserve rather than one of the biggest websites in the world.

Edit: Let me ask you. If you had not received a complaint about that picture, would you have edited it?

21. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    You're putting words in my mouth. Don't go on other people's Facebooks and post photos of their friends or family without their permission especially if a minor is involved. If they complain then I will take it down.

I wouldn't have as I was unaware she was Bowen's girlfriend or that she was under 18 at the time. Once I was notified of such, I edited it out.

22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    It's also pretty safe to assume that nobody knew that the person in the picture was a minor.

23. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    For what its worth, actual knowledge of a person's age is not a defense to most privacy statutes (not to mention the federal criminal statute regarding children exploitation). However, as I see it the issue here is whether the use of a third-person's "public-profile" without their consent is within the prohibition of the TOS.

24. Oaknut

Oaknut Jedi Knight

Jul 5, 2010
    Just as a blanket rule, I don't post anything about myself or anyone else that I wouldn't want anyone to see. There is no such thing as privacy on the internet. I don't care what your Facebook "settings" are. If you want to take pictures of yourself, but don't want others to see it....make a scrapbook. If you don't want people to take Facebook posts you offer about your personal life to be used against you or criticize, get a journal to write in and put it by your bed. I'm tired of people using Facebook as a personal journal about their lives, then having the audacity to cry foul when that information is shared. Facebook, or the internet in general, is not a place to post anything that you don't want made public. Again, you can make the "privacy setting" all you want. If it is on the internet, somebody will figure out a way to access it.

Diggy likes this.
  25. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

Oh, ffs... no children were exploited here. The woman in question is an adult. Apparently, the pic of her was when she was younger. Don't turn this into something it's not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.