main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are pictures of kissing now prohibited?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Saint_of_Killers, Aug 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    Recently, in thread, YodaJeff edited out a picture of two women kissing,
    saying that it was inappropriate. I hope it wasn't edited just because the kiss was between two women, rather than a man and a woman(I'm aware that the management is intolerant in this regard, but I'd hope they wouldn't be so far removed from reality as to try to ban something that appears quite regularly on afternoon and primetime TV).

Jeff responded to inquiries with the following:

"IMO, those pictures weren't appropriate. There's no reason to have pictures of two people making out, regardless of their genders."

Apparently overlooking the JCC banner, which feature, quite prominently, Anakin and Padme making out.

Once again, this pic:

Edited out by YodaJeff.

What's up with that?

I believe this issue has been resolved.

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    If descriptions of that aren't allowed in FanFic, then why would images of it be allowed in the JCC?

3. Saint_of_Killers

Feb 18, 2001
    You said "regardless of their genders".

Do you now retract that?

4. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    YJ things don't translate perfectly from forum to forum.

Or do you think that because we're not allowed to talk about getting drunk in YJCC it's banned in fanfic?

Is it banned in fanfic actually? That would be a laugh.

In the future you might want to stick to letting the forum's mods make the judgement calls instead of making assumptions.

5. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    YodaJeff was right. Whether you like it or not, agree with it or not, we are not going to post or disseminate pictures of Madonna and Britney Spears making out on MTV. He edited because he was looking out for the forums, not trying to "ruin your good time".

I am editing out those pics.

If you have some questions, PM me if you want. What you pass along in email is your own business.

6. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    Pics edited. Re-opened for Saint_of_Killers.

7. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Do you seriously think Josh (wait, I should be hipandkewl, and say "J*sh" instead) would approve of that picture?

"Apparently overlooking the JCC banner, which feature, quite prominently, Anakin and Padme making out."

There's a difference between something from Star Wars and something from MTV. Especially when at a Star Wars fansite.

8. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    YJ, you said showing people kissing isn't fmaily friendly.

At that point you might as well say SW isn't family friendly and ban it from the site.

You said you hated inconsistancies right?

And G-S, for the record, it's always better to avoid deleting threads in Comm. I know why you did so and how it might have seemed like a good idea, but it's just not a good habit to get into.

9. Saint_of_Killers

Feb 18, 2001
    Thank you for reopening the thread, GS.

How is it different, Jeff? The one constant rule of thumb has always been "if it appears in Star Wars, it's allowed here".

Also answer my other question please. You said "regardless of their genders", then you said that it was inappropriate because "it's not allowed in fanfic". AS fairly graphic love scenes(as long as they're hetero, of course) are permitted in fanfic, I can only assume that you meant that it was inappropriate because the kiss involved two people of the same gender. Which is it? Are all pictures of people making out prohibited, as you implied with "Regardless of their genders", or are only kisses between members of the same gender against the rules, as implied by "it's not allowed in fanfic"?

10. Sithany

Sithany Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2003
    You guys, let's be honest. YJ took it down because it was Britney Spears and Madonna, not Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake.

Or...let's say that he would have done the same with the latter case as well. We don't have to get mad about it. We just have to realize that WE ARE IN A CHILDISH FORUM. There's other places for adults to chat, but we shouldn't do it here. Ok? Ok.

11. Saint_of_Killers

Feb 18, 2001
    You're forgetting the fact that kissing appears in Star Wars.

12. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Yes, and death sticks also appear in Star Wars, but, as far as I know, we don't allow discussion of drugs.

13. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    IF YJ is going to comment about how he hates inconcsistancy while making self contradictory statements on why he removed the picture, I think it's perfectly reasonable to call him on it.

YJ I think it's fairly obvious deathsticks are meant to correpond with cigarettes, whicha s far as I'm aware are perfectly legal to discuss.

Now please correct your error and apologize for the miscommunication. It's going to happen sooner or later, you might as well get it over with.

14. Sithany

Sithany Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2003
    SAINT:

I think the mods got the cheekiness in my last post.

15. Saint_of_Killers

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh I've got a cheek for 'em.

Jeff, drugs are illegal in the country in which this site's servers reside. Kissing, even between members of the same sex, is not illegal, despite the efforts of some.

Are you going to answer my question? Did you edit because pictures of people "making out" aren't allowed, or because pictures of two people of the same sex "making out" aren't allowed?

16. Vader666

Vader666 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 3, 2003
    Well it's simple really.

Josh does not like the homosexual innuendos on his site. Especially when they have nothing to do with Star Wars.

17. Saint_of_Killers

Feb 18, 2001
    Cracka please. This whole board is one big homosexual innuendo.

18. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Either way, I don't see how it matters.

If there's a new no-make-out-pictures rule, then we'll have to deal with it.

If it was edited because it was homosexual in nature, then that shouldn't be a surprise, since it's been discussed to death in here, and was clearly defined as not allowed.

19. Saint_of_Killers

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm tired of hearing that. Going by that logic, there's no need for a comms forum.

20. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    What don't you like hearing? That there's a definitive rule against homosexuality? There's not much left to debate on that.

21. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    The trouble is, if one of the standards that we use to see what's allowed in these boards is The Simpsons, there have been two recent episodes of The Simpsons that have featured people of the same sex kissing. Now, if society has reached a point where that sort of thing is deemed acceptable in The Simpsons, something that is on at prime time, and watched by families across the world, why can't the same thing apply for this board?

22. Saint_of_Killers

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm tired of hearing "it doesn't matter", or "it's Josh's site, he can do what he wants". No crap it's his site, but comms is from communicating with the administration, and that includes complaints.

You're right, we will have to deal with this new rule. What do you think I'm doing by making this thread?

23. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    [image=http://www1.theforce.net/icons/miscellaneous/jango_obi.gif]
    I was wondering when this icon will be removed?

24. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    it looks like 2 men are kissing!

if it isnt, it doesnt matter it sure as hell looks like it.

25. Adon_Malik

Adon_Malik Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2002
    I'm very offended by that picture... oh wait no I'm not. I sorry but if two people of the same sex kissing offends you then you need to wake up and realize that this is the 20th century. The fact that depictions of this are banned in these forums on the grounds of them not being "famliy friendly" is just silly. If things like this aren't "family friendly" then we had better ban pretty much every show on tv since they've all delt with the issue at some point.

I have a question. If there is a male/male or female/female kiss in the next Star Wars movie would discusion of it be banned on this site? By the current rules it had better be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.