main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are some males put off by Hayden Christianson?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by sdj, Jun 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH-MUGATU

DARTH-MUGATU Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2002
    Well from what I can Gather it seems he's suffering from the "Brad Pitt - Tom Cruise" dilema. He's an attractive actor who happens to take his craft very seriously and it shows. He knows how to act. I sense some kind of negative envious vibes from people sometimes. God forbid he be talented and attractive. I don't know about you but I can do without an Al Bundy "real man" version of Anakin Skywalker.

2. Arriss

Arriss Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2002
    IMHO Hayden "pulled off" Anakin beautifully. The intense looks he gave Natalie, which ranged from one end of the spectrum to the other, were right on for this longtime, over 30 female SW fan. Oh, yes, this "boy" can act! I see alot of charisma in Hayden & look forward not only to Ep III but other works he chooses to do. He's my next Tommy (Tom Cruise).

3. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I don't think Hayden suffers too much from the Brad Pitt Syndrome... *hopefully*... in many of BP's 'early' films he's ment to be strickly eye candy (Thelma and Louise, Interview w/a Vampire)... to be honest I thought BP's Breakthrough performance was in 12 monkeys *telephone call! telephone call*

I admit to being a HC drooler... heck, it's even in my sig lign that I find it embarassing that at 30 something i'm drooling over a twenty year old.... BUT if you watch the confesion scene... the look on his face, the tone of his voice... all 'droolyness' is gone... this is a young man on the verge of a nervouse breakdown. He's crumbling before our eyes. 'Drool' is replaced by numb shock and leaky eyes... Something I KNOW that another young actor (namely LEO, who was up for the part) could not have pulled off so well... My only hope is that HC doesn't pull a River Phoenix or a Leo D on himself (gifted young actor OD's, pretty boy actor with potential just makes himself laughable)...
    Bring on E-III Hayden and George!

4. JediGirl1

JediGirl1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2002
    I think that Hayden tried really hard and gave 110% to the role. He is still young and trying to find his way as an actor. I do feel that he takes every role that he has undertaken very seioursly (hence losing 30 lbs. to play the role of Sam in LAAH). I truly believe that GL knew what he was doing when he cast him and that he will be awesome as Vader in Ep.III. These are very large shoes to fill in this role and not everyone is going to be happy with the results of his efforts. When I watched AOTC I knew that he was supposed to be whiny and abnoxious but some other people around me did not. I heard people saying they "couldn't stand that kid", etc. I just think that means he did a good job acting the part that he was SUPPOSED to portray. It will be interesting to see what his new movie (Shattered Glass) will be like before Ep.III comes out.

5. DARTH-MUGATU

May 17, 2002
    Hey DarthBreezy,

Don't worry about it. I mean guys in there 40's (and up) drool over Briney Spears all the time (I think they make up 80% of her fan base anyway). [face_laugh]

6. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Don't worry about it. I mean guys in there 40's (and up) drool over Briney Spears all the time (I think they make up 80% of her fan base anyway).

Ain't that...nice :eek:

7. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    DARTH-MUGATU

Thank you for that disturbing thought....

8. MD-O

MD-O Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2000
    Hayden exceeded my expectations as Anakin. From what I've read unlike Natalie, he does alot of research and thought prior to his shooting a scene. It shows in his performance that he cares about his character. His portrayal had alot of depth and feeling to it, and really that's all anyone can ask. I'm at the point now when I cannot picture anyone else in the role but him.

9. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    I thought he did well with the material. He was great in the Tusken scenes.

10. Obis-Grl

Obis-Grl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Brad Pitt did an excellent job in "Interview With The Vampire." He wasn't merely "eyes candy".

Also Hayden can act. Watch "Life as a House." And anyway...I don't think Hayden is that good looking...he really doesn't do it for me...

Now Ewan...he's so dreamy :)

11. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Interview and Legends of the Fall... 90% eye candy.
    I still say it was 12 monkeys that convinced the world that BP had more than one expression...

I think Hayden is at his best in his actions... watch his body language during the flight to Naboo... just makes me giggle because I can think to myself, "been there, done that..." There are many instances discussed in the "love story" thread...

Over the last few months I've put more money into GL's coffers than I have in years... mostly in part to the 'need to go back and watch what I missed again" syndrome...

just randome thoughts.

12. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Obis-Grl- I like Ewan when he's all scrubbed up clean. Ewan as Christian in Moulin Rouge, makes me rather weak in the knees!

BTW I love your Ewan quote.

13. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

You girls are gonna make me throw up!

Besides height, hair and talent, what does Hayden have that the rest of us don't? LOL

14. JohnRavenwood

JohnRavenwood Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    I thought Hayden did a fine job. He fit the part perfectly and just because he is somewhat pretty looking doesn't necessarily take away from him being a bad a$$ Jedi. Just look at a guy like Oscar De La Hoya... he is really handsome and boyish looking and he could probably kick my butt. However, I would like to see Hayden look a little more rugged in Episode 3. Maybe his hormones will kick in and he could have a little 5 o'clock shadow thing going on :D

15. Obis-Grl

May 30, 2002
    DarthBreezy-

I agree when you say BP in Legends of the Fall was eye candy. But I just can't agree about Interview, I thought he did an excellent job in it. But 12 Monkeys was by far best of the three...

PadmeLeiaJaina-

Oh yes...
    Ewan as our favorite penniless poet aka Christian...
    I can't help up get a swoonie and weak in the knees too...
    Especially when he starts to sing "Your Song"
    I melt.... :)

I'm so glad you like the Ewan quote...I love it too...

Darthkarma-

Go along and throw up buddy...
    But just know Hayden doesn't do it for me...
    Only Mr. McGregor...
    Oh and he's got lots...

16. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

JohnRavenwood, along the lines you mentioned, I know they plan on having Hayden bulk up slightly for Episode III.

I thought some of his line readings, such as when he's shouting out orders during the battle, helped to undercut his pretty boy image. He sounded fairly macho.

17. DARTH-MUGATU

May 17, 2002
    Brad Pitt was God in "Fight Club". Just thought I'd throw that up there. As for Britney Spears being every middle aged man's dream- Conan O'Brien is an open memeber. I'd probably like her if she stopped that annoying thing she does called singing.

18. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

If CLOCKWORK ORANGE was ever remade, I think Hayden would make a WONDERFUL actor to play the Malcolm McDowell part. If FIGHT CLUB were re-made, I'd love to see Hayden play Tyler. He makes interesting choices that are fascinating to watch.

Does everyone love my new signature?
    LOL

19. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Actually if you really pay attention in the film, after the fireplace scene, the only squeaking moment that we see young Anakin is when he smiles at Shmi and says tearfully "Stay with me Mom, everything's going to be...."

Hayden is fantastic in the film because really he intentionally grows up. There's a harder edge to Anakin after Padme rejects him at the fireplace scene. The camera angles start to change, making him appear larger, more imposing. Padme starts to wear tighter fitting outfits that help accentuate Haydens height.

Even the Meditation scene, the scenery is gorgeous and he is full of pain. The beauty of the scene is totally out of balance w/ his struggele within. Anakin is somewhat cold towards Padme, stung from her rejection from him. You can tell this by his calling her "Senator" instead of Padme. He further punishes her later by not bothering to introducing her to Owen.

Hayden does an amazing job of showing Anakin's growth from boy to man in just a couple of brief scenes. Each time he smiles after the Fireplace scene, there is pain lurking in his eyes. He is no longer carefree and happy. Compare the looks he gives to Padme the first time they kiss on that balcony and when he kisses her after they are married. The lighthearted boy is gone.

20. JediLeia72

JediLeia72 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002
    Also Hayden can act. Watch "Life as a House." And anyway...I don't think Hayden is that good looking...he really doesn't do it for me...

I agree, Obis-Grl! Hayden is a cute guy, but he's not DDG or anything (certainly can't put him on Harrison's level or even Brad's for that matter). I was really upset when GL first announced Hayden as the one who'd play Anakin. I forced myself to watch a bit of that goofy show he was on and almost threw up it was so bad. I thought he looked way too wimpy to be the future Vader. Then, my best friend and I rented Life as a House , and I was totally blown away! I KNEW GL had found the only young man who could pull it off. He does the emotional turmoil so well and looks enough like Luke that he's totally believable. My best friend - a male- had the same reaction as me. We both love Hayden as Ani but not for his looks.

Just look at a guy like Oscar De La Hoya... he is really handsome and boyish looking and he could probably kick my butt.

"Probably kick your butt," JohnR?? Boy, you must be awfully strong! Maybe YOU should be Vader!! ;) 8-} Anyway, I agree that Hayden should get a more rugged look in Ep3. We watched Luke really grow from a baby-face boy in Ep4 to an awesome looking Jedi in 6, so lets' hope Hayden does it too!

21. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Gosh dang it, PLJ.../sniffs, you're making me cry!

;)

22. Rob_Baajakh

Rob_Baajakh Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2002
    I thought we were talking about our being put off by Hayden. If we were supposed to be talking about Brad Pitt or anything like that. If we were, the thread would be called "Hollywood manifestations of insecure heterosexual insecurities in attractive actors"
    Hey, I don't wanna be judged by my looks, I'm not ugly, but I don't have a boyish face like Hayden(and he's five years older than I am). So I think it's really lame and irrational to dismiss Hayden as not being a good actor simply because he is really attractive. I'm really jealous of him, but I pay credit where credit is due.
    Another thing, he's gonna be good-looking until around the time he is thirty, then he'll probably look like me.

23. ANAKINOS

ANAKINOS Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    I think he had a tough job to do. He had to make us beleive that he was still sweet and innocent like how we saw him in TPM. Also he had to convince us that he can be mean and dark as he starts to change to Vader. And if you look into his eyes when he talks about how he hated the sand people he does a good job.(Always look in their eyes they say a lot it can make or break the whole seen for you to believe it or not) Yeah their were some cheesy things here and there that he did and i would have done differently. But overall he pulled it off well. As far as looks goes who cares. Just another plus for the character of Anakin whether for you to love him or hate him for that fact. Those are just some of my thoughts.

24. JohnRavenwood

JohnRavenwood Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    PROBABLY is right leia! I mean if he and I were on a street and I had some weapons or something he might not kill me. :p

25. Obis-Grl

May 30, 2002
    Right on JediLeia72!

I was so mad too when GL said Hayden would play Anakin. But after seeing "Life As A House" it became very clear to me that Hayden was the right guy to play our emotionally torn Ani. And Hayden still isn't that great looking...I just don't see it...

Only Ewan for me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.