main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are Starships with a lot of weapons normally allowed on most planets?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Matthew78, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew78

Matthew78 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2006
    Just a thought but arent heavily armed Starships like the Slave 1 and 2 or the Falcon and The Outrider not normally allowed on most planets because they carry lots of illegal weapons and are not military owned or controlled?Wouldnt a heavily armed spaceship flying through the normal Coruscant air traffic lanes be forced to land right away or be shot down? I cant imagine them being ignored by local police and security forces who would view them as Terrorist or Mercenary ships, i belive even in SOTE that Threepio and R2D2 are forced to hide to avoid detection and unwanted attention from the authorities,not just because it is a known smuggling ship but because it is heavily armed and that is banned at the time except for licensed Imperial traffic and ships.

2. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Personal starships being decked out with heavy weaponry seems to be the norm in SW. Remember, they've got problems with pirates, hostile aliens, etc.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    In the case of Slave I, I know I've seen it mentioned that both Fetts installed military-grade equipment to evade planetarty sensors. Combine that with parking the ship in an out-of-the-way place and chances are it wouldn't be easily found. I know the Bounty Hunter Wars books mention the heavy security that Boba Fett has to keep the curious away from the ship. The first book also has Fett calling the ship down from orbit to land on some bad guys to eliminate them.
    Having said that, in the same series Bossk hires someone to hack Slave I's security devices and he gets aboard, so the devices aren't perfect.

4. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    there are legal limits on heavy weapons on civilian ships, at least in most civilized systems, although many criminals do ignore these; Daley's Han Solo books made it quite clear the quad guns on the Falcon were illegal

5. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    It is completely random from one world to the next what security you will face.

In most cases, you mask the signatures of your weapons as best you can and you also disguise your ship's ID so people don't know you are a famous bounty hunter ship or smuggling vessel.

If security is REALLY tight, these work-arounds won't get you far...but most of the time it suffices.

It's like the Old West...some towns had rules against guns in town...others didn't...but you got in the same amount of trouble if you shot one in either.

6. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    to a certain extent, I think its safe to say the "Core Founder" worlds have tighter security measures on such things...we know they don't allow, in comparison, individuals to carry any weapon heavier than a blaster pistol, if even that (noe at all on Alderaan, IIRC)

similar restrictions probably apply on planets with large military or corporate presences (Carida, Fondor, etc.), including the Corporate Sector worlds, as I mentioned from the Daley books

worlds with corrupt government, large amounts of crime, outside the Republic/Empire, on the "Fringe" (Outer Rim), probably very loose; also, probably loosens up the further away you are from the main hyperlanes, since the sidelanes have most of the "shadowports" if the RPG is any indication

there are probably licenses or permits, for a price, allowing heavier weapons, and no doubt VIPs (like Senators) are allowed paramilitary armament

7. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Funny how Alderaan bans pistols but has no problem with Han's concussion missile-armed smuggler ship.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The GFFA is the NRA's wet dream; everyone is armed wether it be with a sidearm or ship blaster.

9. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    The name of the game is concealment. Most civilian ships (like Wild Karrde or Lady Luck) have all their weapons on retractable mounts to hide them from prying eyes. Other ships, like the Falcon & Slave I hide their bigger weapons while leaving their "legal" ones exposed.

Most of the authorities (like the Corporate Sector Authority) regulate the type and yield of shipboard weapons--mostly to keep the civvies from outgunning the CSA. The only way around that was to be on the Waivers List (which you could only do if you were politically connected or paid off your local Moff). Of course, pirates & other outlaws don't follow the laws, either. So an honest smuggler's only option is to arm himself heavily...and discreetly. ;)

No....but it's a lot safer than NYC & DC....

10. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Even if everyone has weapons, they're still banned on Coruscant and presumably many other Core Worlds. So, like the NRA says, only the criminals get guns.

11. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Thank goodness for the plethora of criminals with hearts of gold in the GFFA . . .

12. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  13. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

As seen in The Bacta War regarding Terrick's toy, civilian-owned vessels have armament limits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.