main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are stormtroopers clone or not? State your position...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by _ViE_AcheRoN_, Jan 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saberlord99

saberlord99 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 9, 2002
    I believe some are clones, some are recruits and the officers are recrutis.

2. Gabriel_

Gabriel_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2004
    They did say that the clones showed unbelievable obedience... And They did! Perhaps there was an unknown factory... I'm sure G. Lucas would have or will mention something.

3. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    George Lucas said absolutely ALL stormtroopers ARE clones. BUT, they are NOT all clones of the SAME SOURCE

That is not an in-universe explanation in regards to the clones. He may think and say that, but it is by no means official. If he wants that to be the official stance then he should tell LFL to publish that in a book or RPG guide. Otherwise that is just his opinion on the matter.

As for the headbanging, how can people follow that connection? That hardly proves that particular Imp. is a clone.

4. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    George Lucas said absolutely ALL stormtroopers ARE clones.

That is correct.

5. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Basic training for a few months is a lot cheaper and faster than growing & training a clone for 10 years. I'd say Palpy used the Clone Army to create the Empire, then once he had the power he was able to build up his army in the more tradional (quicker & cheaper) way.

6. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    In real science, head banging is not genetically transferrable. It is not a genetic trait, it is not kept in the genes.

However according to the TCG, the stormtroopers on the first Death Star were clones.

7. Club_333

Club_333 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2001
    which would serve the dark side more: creating clones to kill or having people volunteer to be killed?

which is cheaper: cloning or having people crank'em out the old fashioned way?

the emperor was a servant of the dark side. he also liked to save money (no shields on ties, for example).

8. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Val...
    "In real science, head banging is not genetically transferrable..."

I'm not so sure about this. I have scientific proof of what is known as "Van Halen Syndrome," by which headbanging genes are, in fact genetically transferrable. "Headbangers" all of them...
    [image=http://www.geocities.com/lauralou_2004/mullet.jpg]

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    That actually falls more into the realm of psychology than genetics, ;). It's a learned trait.

Anywho, bumping your head on a ceiling is what is known as an accident, because ther person is taller than a doorway, and couldn't see through the helmet very well, to see the door frame.

It has nothing to do with genetics, but rather the case of being too tall, and having vision impairment caused by the helmet.

Now height is genetically transferrable trait. However that can come from anyone. According to Pax Emperica, it is implied that the jango clones were being phased out, they were an outdated generation of clones (probably because they were out of samples of Jango's Dna to use).

The helmet is not genetically transferrable, it's just a man-made external item.

10. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and state my opinion as fact --just try and stop me ;) -- here: No. That's stupid. GL's senile. [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain]

11. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Alright, this is a quick copy/paste of an old post by me. I'm too lazy to put it in fancy coding, but you can see the thread here. Older threads with my arguements in them can be found here and here.

There is no concluding evidence in the films for either side of this arguement. We can both look at the films for the inspiration of our arguement, though my side of the arguement turns to the Expanded Universe for our support, while the purists turn to George Lucas himself.

Who is right? Both of us, in our own minds. Of course each individual who has posted in this arguement thinks they are right, and therefore there is no determinable "correct" answer, especially since this entire debate is about a fictional universe, one in which there are six (five right now) movies and many novels, each with the events told from a point of view outside the universe (with a couple exceptions). The way that Star Wars should be viewed and read in order to debate this aspect is as a historical documentary in which all parts are assumed true, though it is not sure that it is accurate: Much like the tale of the Lost City of Atlantis, we must look at this assuming that all stories being told are accurate and unbiased.

Therefore, we dive into the the Star Wars history book. We only have pieces of the history, though at this point we have enough to know that during the year 22 BBY, it was discovered by Obi-Wan Kenobi on the plannet Kamino that an army had been cloned for use by the Republic. We know that at this time, there are .2 million clones combat ready, and 1 million "well on the way." "Well on the way," was apparently very soon after the first discovery of the clones, for they were ready a mere 6 months after the initial battle of the Clone Wars, the Battle of Geonosis.

We then fast forward twenty-two years to the time period directly before the Battle of Yavin. The "clonetroopers" are now called "stormtroopers." Why the name change? No one seems to know why the name was changed, or why the uniforms are different, either. The uniforms are much cheaper than the clonetrooper uniforms... the clonetroopers had metal, while the stormtroopers had plastic. Why the uniform change, you ask? The best bet is due to finances. The cost of keeping such a large army where each soldier has a full-body armor suit would obviously be very high.

Ah, that brings us right to the issue of cost. I will get back to the history lecture later in this post. I think it is quite obvious that producing clones, raising them from a young age, supplying them with food and clothing, and giving them strict military training would be very expensive. So, if you were the Supreme Chancellor, and had to figure out a way to pay for all of this, which would you rather do:

Clones: Choosing this option will cost much more than the other option. In choosing this option, you are choosing to spend money raising clones, training them, giving them food, clothes, sleeping areas, etc. for ten years. You will spend valuable money that you could use for other things, such as weapons.

Non-clones: Choosing this option will allow you to train a non-clone in a few short years, as opposed to ten. They do not have to be cloned; therefore that cuts a large portion of the cost. They do not need to be educated, which reduces the need for speical trainers. This option comes with a much lower price than the previous option.

Which would you prefer? I'm guessing the non-clones. The non-clones would be much more cost-efficient in the long run. There is also the issue of the number of troops that would be needed. The Empire's forces were vast, with more troops than we could possibly imagine here on earth. At the time of the Battle of Geonosis, as I have stated, there were .2 million clones ready for battle at that point in the war. Shortly after that, another 1 mil

12. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Or, on the other hand, you could just accept the number of clones/stormtroopers is something that George Lucas doesn't find very important.

If he needs a hundred, you'll see a hundred, if a thousand need to die in twenty seconds, a thousand will die in twenty seconds.

If it really bothers you, here is my suggestion:

Take your book or guide where it says 1,000,000.

Take a pen.

Add however many zeroes you want.

Congratulations, you're an editor.

13. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and state my opinion as fact --just try and stop me ;) -- here: No. That's stupid. GL's senile. [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain]

You really have a thing for repeated emoticons, don't you? :p

14. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    EMPIRE #13 is about a Clone Trooper on the death star. good issue.

15. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    If there are any at all, about 0.1% of all stormtroopers are clones. Otherwise there would have been no shortage of them after Endor and cloning cyclinders wouldn't be so rare that they could only be found at the Emperor's lost storehouse.

Is it so hard to believe that not everyone was a Rebel but actually a LOYAL citizen of the Empire and that some of them wanted to join the military?

16. _ViE_AcheRoN_

_ViE_AcheRoN_ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2003
    George Lucas said absolutely ALL stormtroopers ARE clones. BUT, they are NOT all clones of the SAME SOURCE.

Kyle Katarn, Cryx Madine, Davin Felth and other distinguished former stormtroopers/academy attendees cannot be called clones. I do agree however that if stormtroopers were clones, spartti cylinders wouldnt be so incredibly rare.

17. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Exactly Quentin.

Too many of the fans take the number literally, but its clear there are going to millions more in the next film and being grown until ANH.

Besides Lucas doesn't care for logistics or numbers, his story is a fantasy and figures shouldnt be taken too literally.

But then this issue is more prominent here than the rest of the fandom.

18. _ViE_AcheRoN_

May 3, 2003
    sometimes i wonder if i have allowed starwars to consume my life too deeply, i argue for the length of an ssd with more passion than i do for human rights lol

19. Ransel

Ransel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2003
    Originally I believe they were clones. But once the army of the republic was created millions flocked to join. There were over a million worlds in the republic and many of them believed in the Empire and the Emperor. Think about how many men joined the army at the time of the Civil War and the World Wars and times that by millions. There has to be warlike civilizations, human or otherwise, who are nothing but pure military mind races in the re[public/empire. Remember Han Solo and Biggs Darklighter were at the Imperial Academy and Luke wanted to go there.

20. Onasi

Onasi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 16, 2003
    i read a book that said they were a form of cyborgs.

21. _ViE_AcheRoN_

May 3, 2003
    cyborgs? thats just nutty, weve seen stormtroopers without masks! lol maybe they should create a special model with a coffee maker

edit: now that i think about it, 45 seconds later, did you mean darktroopers? because those were robots constructed during the events of the original "Dark Forces" which spawned into the JK series of games

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> He didnt sound like he was joking actually<<

Do you honestly think that he was seriously saying that stormtrooper was a clone of Jango because they both bump their heads on soemthing? Doesn't that sound just a little ridiculous to you?

23. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Was that bumping intentional or was it just an accident that editing did catch?

24. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Lucas also said that Yoda was the love child of Kermit and Miss Piggy...

Do people actually take that seriously?

25. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Probably Val...probably. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.