main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are the abridged CD versions OK?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by theBluePhoenix, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theBluePhoenix

theBluePhoenix Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2001
    I?d like to read Jedi Trial & Labyrinth of Evil before ROTS comes out in May but I don?t know if I?ll have the time. I?m thinking about buying the abridged audio CD versions which I can listen to while driving to and from work or doing other things. I know that some parts are cut out for time but does it make a big difference? Can anyone compare the audio CDs to the complete novels?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

2. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    IMHO, abridged audio novels SUCK! I know that there is a reason for it, but if you can't straight out adapt the book, you really shouldn't bother.

That being said, there perfect if you can't read the books. But if you have the opportunity, read them as well. Chances are you'll enjoy them better that way.

3. Dante_Glass

Dante_Glass Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    I personly like them, but thats just cause i'm crazy, or maybe its because Vector Prime (the only true novel i listned too) was an exeption to the rule.

4. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    How much is usually cut out of abridged cd or casstte novels?

5. theBluePhoenix

Jan 4, 2001
    That?s what I?m trying to find out. Is it just relatively minor bits and pieces or do they remove whole sub-plots?

6. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    That's what I've always been wondering. If anyone knows can you please post.

7. TIEPilot051999

Mar 27, 2002
    That's what I've always been wondering. If anyone knows can you please post.

Well, sometimes the cuts are small, and sometimes they're large. The "Heir to the Empire" Audio Book, for example, loses some small stuff in the beginning, such as the conversation between Pelleaon and the Lieutenant and a small chunk of the conversation between Thrawn and Pelleaon.

The "I, Jedi" audio book, on the other hand, loses the entire first chapter and a good deal of the next one.

8. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Are there places where you can sample this stuff before buying?

I wonder what the Game of Thrones' one is like . . .

9. TIEPilot051999

Mar 27, 2002
    Are there places where you can sample this stuff before buying?

Amazon?

10. theBluePhoenix

Jan 4, 2001
    You should be able to borrow them from your local library. However, I have been unable to find Jedi Trial or Labyrinth of Evil.

I plan to get the Hobbit on CD from the library because I know that that?s a book that I would never get through.

11. darth_melvin

darth_melvin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2002
    I listened to Shadows of the Empire audiobook while following along in the printed book. It cut out a LOT of stuff. I was frequently skipping over 5 or 10 pages in the book trying to find where they were skipping to on the audio.

Many subplots are ejected (IIRC, there was a really cool extended scene in the book, where Xizor was playing cat and mouse with some poor soul - not on the audio - just for example). Also, almost all of the conversations are cut in half.

I used to listen to some audiobooks, but after that, I haven't done any.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.