main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are the Agri-corps and social worker Jedi washouts allowed to marry?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Guinastasia, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Okay, if a Jedi trainee isn't chosen to become a Knight, he or she is sent to become a social worker, or a farmer, or some type of social service work.

Would these people then be allowed to marry, since they're not directly in the Order?

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Obi Wan as a Jedi washout was still allowed to keep his lightsaber so it stands to reason the Agri Corps workers and so forth are still Jedi actually, they just arn't trained further.

I doubt the Council would particularly care in their case though

3. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Curious, yes. After a decade or so of Jedi training, these early teens are kicked out if a master can't be found for them . . . and the fact that a dark sider won't come and take one or two for themself doesn't perturb the Council?

4. Even__Piell

Even__Piell Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    This whole Agri-corps thing is the dumbest idea... whoever made the idea must have been drunk at the time :p

5. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    I would presume so, Guin. As they lacked something the Order felt would make them good Jedi Padawans, and thus Knights, they would not be subject to the same hard and fast rules as those that 'make the grade'. Correct me if I am wrong, but the Agri-corps served as an 'outplacment' site for Jedi washouts, giving them a boost in getting on with their lives, right?

6. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Actually as near as I can tell, the Agri-corps Jedi are still Jedi though sometimes it seems otherwise.

They are just prevented from further training beyond an initial 13 years of it which is considerable lets not forget.

Many students like Lorian Nod, Bruck, and Obi Wan resent this though because they want the full power of a Jedi Master and lives of adventure.

As for Dark Siders coming to recruit Agri-corps washouts....uhhh yeah what Dark Siders?

The Sith? All two of them?

Xanatos was the only one whom recruited a Jedi washout as an apprentice and he wasn't amongst the farmers either.

Besides the Agri-Corps the Jedi have tried repeatedly to instill in Jedi is not a punishment. Many a Jedi hopeful is likely to find feeding starving worlds just as rewarding as fighting smugglers (if not much moreso)

Plus far less risk of being killed in some conflict.

It makes sense that Agri-corp, Explorer Corp, and Medical Corp Jedi can carry on missions that normal Jedi Knights are needed elsewhere to do and far longer term projects that don't necessarily require extensive training.

7. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Not just another Sith candidate, but any other rogue or dark sider Jedi loose out there.

Samples like Sing, Ventress, possibly that guy Ti confronts in Escape from Dagu's cover, and others. I'm not talking about the Lost 20, which after Geonosis would have increased substantially. I'm sure there were breakaway Jedi at times. Allya was another one.

8. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well its just silly to try and corrupt JEDI though. The kids are washouts but they are still members of the Order is what I'm arguing and the 10,000 will likely track you down for them...

and mess you up bad.

The Agri-corps after all is a Republic institution, knowing if they suddenly dissapear is a point in its favor.

There's no reason to assume they have proliclitivies to the Dark Side either just because they are unsuitable for the galaxy's most demanding job.

I'd wager its much easier to just to find force adepts or those missed by the Jedi for being too old or whatnot.

Quite a few might find their work happy too. Yes, some might be tempted but not much more than actual Jedi I think

9. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    A Jedi deemed to old to start training was Alexi Garyn, former Black Sun head. Vos was also another. He started at 4yrs, but Tholme talked the Council into accepting him. I liked the way Darkness showed him that age, with an oversized head and small boy's body. Comical. :p

Did the Council mind if Xanatos went rogue, doing what he wanted?

10. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I don't feel too much pity for Alexy's story. Oooo boo hoo the force sensetive wasn't a Jedi so now he might as well be the galaxy's most evil crime boss.

Whoop. Those sob stories died out years ago.

Xanatos lets not forget disspeared off the Galactic Map when he left the jedi Order to join his father. He operated rightly in secret.

11. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    He was called Master Lex until the end, where his full name Alexi Garyn was revealed. It sounded too much like another Lex . . . as in Lex Luthor. Both were evil heads of organisations.

12. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I think that if I was told that all I was good enough for was the Agri-corps, I'd try to become stronger so I could continue my education.

Any way that I could.

13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Again this seems a common enough complaint

Though again I'd like to see someone examine the fact that Force trained for a decade Doctors and geneticists are what's being "degraded" here.

Also take note that your education will require probably another 10-12 years. Its entirely possible many "washouts" don't WANT to be Jedi Knights by this time

Obi Wan and others would continue their education not in the Force and ways of war but instead in extremely complex bio and life-sciences

14. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    As for Dark Siders coming to recruit Agri-corps washouts....uhhh yeah what Dark Siders?

The Sith? All two of them?

Being a dark sider does not automatically make one a Sith. Even during the Prequel era there are dark siders who are not Sith. But unless they are written about, we never get to hear of most dark siders.

Well its just silly to try and corrupt JEDI though. The kids are washouts but they are still members of the Order is what I'm arguing and the 10,000 will likely track you down for them...

And yet we can see that Dooku was somehow corupted. Besides, washouts would be perfect for corrupting. Just find them and slowly work in the idea that their not good enough for the council to find a master to train them further. Or that none of the Jedi masters in the order ever really wanted to train them further to the point that they could become Knights. Then suggest, once you're satisfied that they have come to hate the order for doing that to them, that you could perhaps train them. The order is going to be rather busy elsewhere, though they will be likely to send someone if you move to fast. But by taking it slowly, working in the idea that these washouts would be better off learning from you, you could easily turn them into dark siders.

15. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    That was my reasoning, which Knight expanded better on. There'd potentially be a lot of risk to kick out a young teen trainee. Some who are hoping to get to Knighthood but couldn't acquire a master could be resentful . . . revengeful.

I wonder just how many apprentices get shown the door per annum?

16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    This is indeed true and you arn't far off.

Jedgar the High Prophet of the Prophets of the Dark Side is just one such "washout" of the Jedi Knighthood

Palpatine also found a recruit in Sarcev Quest whom became the father of Irek Ismaren and by inference we can guess is probably the Dark jedi whom Irek ended up killing in a lightsaber duel.

There is also Lorian Nod.

However the question comes down to it is SHOULD the Jedi have trained these people further? We've seen already the tragic results of people like Brakiss, Desann, and Kueller whom with a little training become horrofically dangerous.

While Obi Wan was also rejected for his behavior, the above three became truly evil men. Dare we lay the blame at the door of the Jedi for being afraid they'd end up doing evil as they did?

17. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    The problem is that they provided some training and then turned around and said "Gee, because of your behavior we are to discontinue your training." Any Force-sensitive can become a dangerous foe. But those who have had training before all they are washed out allows for a greater threat. If you take most Force sensitives, they really are going to be less likely to manipulate the Force compared to those the Jedi have washed out. The blame does need to be laid at the Jedi's doorstep if their washouts turn against the galaxy using what they learned at the temple. Because they do know something of manipulating the Force. And judging from Yoda teaching the Bear Clan in AotC, they also know something of using a lightsaber.

Would training someone with behavioral problems to full Jedi rank solve the problem. Maybe, maybe not. But there is a way to prevent the washouts from using what they learned at the temple against the rest of the galaxy. Blind them to the Force. Yet even that is not a perfect answer if we use Obi-Wan as an example.

It does, however, make sense when we consider the fact that not all washouts will be as lucky as he was. And so it would make it difficult for these washouts to use the Force as a weapon against the galaxy should they turn to the dark side. The Jedi took them in at an early age and began training them from an early age. By the time they wash out, they already know enough to be an extreme danger.

18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    And prevent them from using the Force (perhaps for good) just because they arn't suited again for the job.

I think Agri-Corps workers again are and I reiterate Still Jedi. They are extremely low end Jedi but they are allowed to keep their lightsabers which is the definate sign of being a Jedi

Behavior problems may cause trouble but not necessarily lead them to the Dark Side. There are plenty of reasons why a Jedi candidate might not be Jedi Knight material without saying they are Dark Side material

* They're lazy
    * They can't think abtractly
    * They can't focus
    * They are simply put...stupid
    * They are too passive or completely pacifistic
    * They can't use a lightsaber...at all.
    * They are quick to judge other people and make hasty decisions
    (Not making them EVIL at all)

As you've stated these Jedi have ten years of training for the most part to use the Force and as Lorian Nod illustrates, this can make them Kings wherever they like if they want.

Nevertheless the Jedi puts them in professions that are designed to teach them how to help other people. They are just not going to become Jedi Masters or full knights

Rather like High school degrees but not getting acceptance for college. Is it fair, perhaps not, but I think 99.% of the washouts probably do very well for themselves in extremely enjoyable professions with considerable prestige

19. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    While i don´t know about Desann, Kueller and Brakiss were hardly products of the old Jedi-Order.

20. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "Palpatine also found a recruit in Sarcev Quest whom became the father of Irek Ismaren and by inference we can guess is probably the Dark jedi whom Irek ended up killing in a lightsaber duel."

However its important to note that Sarcev Quest never knew that Irek was his son according to gamer #5. He thought he was actually the son of Palpatine(something that Roganda was trying to get people to believe).

21. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    I'm with Charlemagne on the role of non-'Knights'... they're foremost those Jedi whose skills are judged to lie in other areas than combat and diplomacy, rather than 'wash-outs'...

In the loosest sense, they're still Jedi Knights - members of the Order, though not awarded with the grade of Jedi Knight. They wear the robes, they carry the lightsabers, and in the final analysis, they can use them...

Some, such as Obi-Wan Kenobi or Sarcev Qest, clearly have potential, though... they are probably hampered by the fact they want to be knights... but I'll suspect that the Order keeps an eye on them...

I also have a pet theory that Triclops was taken away from Palpatine as a baby and grew up into a non-knight Jedi of this sort... [face_mischief]

- The Imperial Ewok

22. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I love that term, "allowed". Do these people have no free will? I think a better question is do the old order Jedi = Communists?

1. Children removed from homes based on talents and educated by Government sanctioned authority figures.
    2. They eschew private property
    3. ship failures off to agri businesses like collective farms.
    4. maintained strict code of thought discouraging rule bending and thus stagnating the order
    5. A weapon is their symbol, knights/soldiers are their means of enforcement
    6. Supported the ascent of an evil dictator

23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I don't understood your point fellow Worker

;)

24. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    what exactly is the agri-corps? is a bunch of agricultural science work (mostly research)? i would imagine it more like the peace corps.. where you go to a developing world and help the local population develop their resources, by helping set up proper sustainable agriculture, education and health care. (a content and fed population is more likely to not cause problems for the republic)

do they work with the local populations as leaders or side-by-side or on their own..

since they get to keep their lightsabers (although are these training sabers or full grown-up jedi sabers), do they also keep the title of jedi to outsiders? i would imagine if they let you keep a saber, you'd better be able to live up to the title of jedi because that's what normal folks will see you as.

25. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Its a full saber as near as I can tell since Obi Wan uses it to cut through alot. It seems to be alot like the Peace Corps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.