main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are the boards the only thing on TFN that are supposed to be family-friendly?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Iwishiwasajedi, Oct 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    but some of what is labelled PG would not be allowed on the boards as it wouldn't be considered family friendly. Especially with TV ratings

Therein lies the main problem in trying to define the forum as a whole. As I've posted in both the Mod Squad and AC, I really don't like the idea of defining the forum as Family Friendly, or PG or PG-13. For the exact reason posted above. You can never accuaratly define what any of those mean, they mean different things to different people. You can't use the Simpson's rule, because the Simpsons wouldn't fall under the PG rating, also, the Simpsons get away with a lot more risky type things now then they did at the start of their run, nowadays, Iw ould think that Simpsons wouldn't fit into what Josh wants for this place. I think we need to just set our rules as we want them, we being the JC as a whole. And stop trying to make blanket labels of just, "Make it Family Friendly."

2. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    I'll have to agree that "family friendly" might not be the best choice of words. Even the Star Wars films aren't family friendly. Would you take your six year old to see AOTC? Maybe, but you'd better be prepared for the tike to be sleeping with you that night.

So no, if your family includes a six year old then this place isn't "family friendly" but use a little common sense. A six year old doesn't have any place on the internet for the most part in the first place. I can't see a six year old sifting through hundreds of messages on a messageboard anyway.

Our obligation is to make this place appropriate for ages 13 and up. Josh and Scott has decided to make it even more family friendly. That's not to say that you should set up a monitor in your baby's crib.

3. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    And we still have no definition for family friendly, beyond 'I know it when I see it'.

4. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    The definition could be quite simple:

"If it's in a Disney film, it's allowed here"

That is basically the level it is being aimed at.

UKS

5. gundark

gundark Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 1999
    You know they killed Bambi's mom, and they shot Old Yeller. Better go to Veggi-Tales level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.