main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are the Chiss all mouth and no trousers? (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Duke-Dogwalker, Oct 21, 2002.

?

Are the Chiss all mouth and no trousers?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
  1. Yes, the Chiss are all mouth and no trousers.

32.7%
  2. The Chiss are biding their time, waiting for the moment to strike.

49.0%
  3. They will remain undecided, and stay on the periphery.

18.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke-Dogwalker

Duke-Dogwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
  2. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    The NJO is getting closer to conclusion, and other than contributing to a killer-virus, so far the Chiss have remained largely uninvolved. Sure they got involved in the defence of Ithor pretty early on, and have since allowed Jag to go off on his little ?scouting? mission, but we have yet to really see them in force.

They talk of remaining in a constant state of vigil, ready to defend the galaxy from outside forces, but so far haven?t bothered too much with the Vong. Are they really too busy battling all those ?unspeakable terrors? lurking out in the unknown regions? Or will they strike with fury when they are good and ready?

3. DarkWoman

DarkWoman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    I'd still like to see them do something decisive in the NJO...

I have a little hope that they will. ;)

4. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    They are just one species in the galaxy. Why should they be more diserving than any other species?

5. Gotterdammerung

Gotterdammerung Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    The Chiss care little for the troubles of the explored GFFA, much as the Empire and Old/New Republics did little to interfere with the Chiss Imperium. It has nothing to do with lack of decisive action, merely the Chiss are more concerned about their own defense then that of others. It's basic survival: Me first, my allies second.

6. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    All mouth and no trousers

Is this some sort of British phrase? I am not familiar with it.

If it is the same thing as "all bark and no bite", then no. It is more a matter of philosophy than cowardice or selfishness. The Chiss just don't believe in striking the first blow. Someone has to attack them before they will go on the offensive.

I would be interested to see what Chissdude says, but I bet he will agree with me.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm guessing they're biding their time.

8. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    They're biding their time, waiting for the right moment to strike...

9. dark_jedi666

dark_jedi666 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    I think the Chiss will play some part by the end of the NJO. I do not think it will be a major part , but I do believe they will get involved.

10. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    all mouth and no trousers

Is this the same as all bark and no bite? What does mouth have to do with trousers? Come to think of it, do I really want to know?

11. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Mastadge: I was thinking the same thing. Crazy Brits/Aussies. ;) :p

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Curious phrase.

13. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    I voted earlier and can't remember what I voted, sorry.

Axl.

14. Lianna

Lianna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    I voted that they are bidding thier time, though from DW it seems they have been involved since the beginning of the war. So, who really knows. It is thier motives I'm interested in learning.

15. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    Sorry about the phrase! (and about forgetting to add the ?spoilers? bit.)

It was getting late here so I knew America would be strectching, yawning, and logging on. I wasn?t sure if anyone would have any idea what I was on about! But then it wasn?t too hard to work out?

Yes, kind of like ?bark and no bite?. When someone talks the talk, but fails to walk the walk, they could be described as being all mouth and no trousers.

So there you go ? the queen?s english, explained.

Ooh, look. I get to vote too?.

16. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Why should the Chiss get involved at the moment? They haven't been threatened. I expect that they will only commit themselves either way if they are forced to make a decision.

17. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    aren't the chiss supposed to be brainy? Surely anyone with even half a brain (NR senators aside) can see that the Vong are quite clearly a threat to the entire galaxy.

If the Chiss set themsdelves up as defenders against 'terrible threats', surely the vong qualify?

18. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Hiya Duke! Heheheheheh I *LIKE* the topic (wonder if Chissdude will ;) )

I voted yup, all mouth and no trousers - always talking about how great they are, but when the GFFA needs them, they're busy navel-gazing!

19. Kyp_

Kyp_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 17, 2002
    I voted yup, all mouth and no trousers - always talking about how great they are, but when the GFFA needs them, they're busy navel-gazing!
    Why would they go to the aid of the GFFA if they need him? i mean, i dont think they give crap if the NR dies, they're not the NR.
    From the views of the books, they're all powerful, you strike the iron when it is hot, you don't go suicide for some other guy when you could use the same resource where it is needed(at your place)

20. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    Still neck and neck here, but of all those who voted against Chiss policy, so far only mr. Dart has explained himself...

And as far as looking after themselves goes, wouldn't they find it easier to defeat the vong with allies? As opposed to waiting for everyone else to die, and only then springing into action...

21. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    You seem to mistake the "real" Chiss with Thrawns housephalanx, which is a totally different group. And while the first one don´t believe in pre-emptive strikes (they banished the greatest military mind of the galaxy for doing so) and have "only" one world and 28 colonies which can´t add much to the war-effort, the second has already participated: With Jag Fel and his squadron, as well as sleeper-cells. Besides, since much of the NJO is concentrated on the major charakters, we possibly just have seen nothing of them. Its a big war in a big galaxy.

22. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    Good point about Thrawn's bannishment. I'd forgotten about that.

But no Chiss of any allegiance are doing anything. 28 colonies ain't bad. The hapans have what, 63? They've gotten stuck in. (Albeit to little effect!)

I'm not saying that they SHOULD be doing something per se, but just that they seem to make an awful lot of noise about great deeds... and erm, they seem to be a little bit short of examples. Unspeakable one's apart, of course.

23. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I do find the Chiss mildly amusing in this, yeah - first, they're 'the best pilots in the galaxy' (or so they claim). They have a military ethic, military goals, military perspective... Yet they stay on the sidelines. You'd think several things would be obvious to the Chiss.

1) The Vong WANT IT ALL.

2) The Vong are doing a good job of getting it all.

3) Even the Chiss can't beat the Vong on their own.

4) Ergo, the Vong must be stopped, and can only be stopped by alliances.

24. Ivo

Ivo Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 10, 2002
    Well as someone put it before the Chiss have a if you dont attack us we wont attack you policy which is always smart. As for the Chiss cant beat the YV by themselves, well they dont have to, they would have been building their forces up since the Battle of Ithor when the galaxy realized the threat they posed. But by the time the YV have turned their eye towards Chiss space they would have had to have beaten the NR in a war of attrition which they havent even come close to doing yet, the hapes cluster and finally the Imperial Remnant, and by then they will have well and truely become a shadow of themselves and even set themselves up to be annihilated by the Chiss.

25. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    The chiss have no desire in expanding there 28 systems, have no desire for galactic peace, and sure as hell don't care if the galaxy is being crused under a organic foot.

There is no reason for the Chiss to be invloved. Thrawn's Phelenxe however is another manner, and they willl perhaps play a part in the latter part of the NJO. Remember, House Mitth'raw'nuruodo now controls a good portion of the CEDF, so the actual chiss are no as beefed up to be. Niether is House Mitth'raw'nurudo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.