main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are the Clone Wars too one-sided?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth_Vogon, Dec 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Vogon

Darth_Vogon Jedi Youngling

Oct 29, 2004
    All of the Clone Wars novels thus far, and the great majority of the comic books, have taken the standpoint of the Republic. By that I mean the protaganists are always the Jedi and the clonetroopers while the antaganists are always the battle droids and Count Dooku and the Trade Federation.

But the Separatists can't all be greedy and evil - it is, after all, a popular movement of several thousand star systems that feel that they are the ones fighting a currupt and oppressive government. Indeed, their position is the one that will later be adopted by the Rebellion. And yet in every novel the Republic is always the side of righteousness and the Separatists the side of evil and greed.

Wouldn't it have been more interesting to see the war from both perspectives, instead of just the one?

2. Colt 45

Colt 45 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2000
    I agree that many, perhaps even most of the followers of the Separatist movement are true "political idealists" and not honest-to-goodness badguys. The problem, I think, is that for the most part the leaders of the movement are obviously evil (to us), whereas the leaders of the Republic are a mixture of good, corrupt, greedy, and downright evil. Add to that the Jedi are on the side of the Republic, and since they are the main focus in our view of SW, we are naturally going to see a lopsided view of the war.

I do recall one of the planetary Separatist leaders in the Republic comic book that if I remember correctly seemed somewhat noble...

3. SlackJawedJedi

SlackJawedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2004
    Don't forget poor 'ole Commander Merai!

4. Fingolfin_Noldor

Fingolfin_Noldor Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2004
    One sided? Sure, the Sith win anyway.

5. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Colonel Gepta's a pretty awesome character in Shatterpoint. He's actually probably one of a few characters who are quasi-decent in the story, if you think about it.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The Republic is run by corrupt, greedy politicians and those who fight for it are idealists(besides the clones-- they fight for whoever buys them).

The CIS is run by corrupt, greedy corporations and those who fight for it are idealists(except for the droids and the occasional Dark Jedi, of course).

Both are unwitting pawns of the Sith.

7. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Not all the politicians in the Republic are corrupt and greedy. The problem is that their voices are few where as the vocies of the corrupt and the greedy are many.

8. LastOneStanding

LastOneStanding Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    Well, consider that fact that the ultimate losers in the aftermath of the Wars are the Jedi, save a small handful...

As has been stated before, in the end, the Clone Wars are an one-sided conflict in which the Sith win...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.