main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are the comets in "Corphelion Interlude" a metaphor for Jacen and Jaina?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kypsolo, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kypsolo

Kypsolo Jedi Master star 1

Oct 10, 2002
    Are the comets in "Corphelion Interlude" a metaphor for Jacen and Jaina?

The Solos stopped to look and saw the giant comet splitting into a spectacular set of twins.

The twins began to drift apart, their tails crossing as one comet angled toward the rest of the Corphelions. The other continued to swell in the darkness above the dome. Finally, when its head had grown to an apparent diameter of more than a meter, a nervous murmur began to build on the patio below.

The Comet that goes toward the other Corphelions is Jacen, and the Corphelions are the Jedi which he has been distant to but is now going back to them.

The other Comet that swelled in the darkness is Jaina going into the darkness and the nervous murmurs are those of the other Jedi worried about Jaina.

This is Just an Idea, I have recently done my Mock English Exams so i wanted to put it to good use.

2. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    Finally, when its head had grown to an apparent diameter of more than a meter, a nervous murmur began to build on the patio below.

Well, some would say that that is a metaphor for Jaina rightly enough. Her inflated ego anyway. [face_mischief]

JMA

3. Kypsolo

Kypsolo Jedi Master star 1

Oct 10, 2002
    No Jaina bashing! jaina is a good character.
    There are loads of characters better but she good anyway.

4. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    [face_laugh]

Well, it's a very good metaphor, that I should've noticed right away. I think it's a great little touch. :)

5. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Yeah, when I read "the twins", I had to backtrack to make sure the story wasn't actually talking about Jacen and Jaina.

6. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I think so.

7. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I agree that they?re a metaphor for the twins (and consider the timing, if it?s right around the time of Tatooine Ghost; I think that we saw the foreplay leading to their conception ;)). However, I disagree with your identification. I think that Jaina walked in a dark place, but has returned to the Jedi. She is the Sword of the Jed, after all.

I think that it?s Jacen, and that with his new philosophies he will leave the Jedi (and the GFFA as well) behind, joining the Yuuzhan Vong. He?s still a comet/Jedi, but he?s separate from the others. As Vergere says, he?s always been a little different from everyone else.

8. Crimzon

Crimzon Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2002
    Joining the Vong? I don't see that happening. He says he understands them, not that he empathizes with them. *if* he goes to them, it would be after some truce/peace, or the war is over and he wants to help integrate the races.

9. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Joining the Vong? I don't see that happening. He says he understands them, not that he empathizes with them. *if* he goes to them, it would be after some truce/peace, or the war is over and he wants to help integrate the races.

That?s pretty much what I?m saying. After the fall of Shimrra, the Yuuzhan Vong are going to be looking for a Jedi to follow due to the rise of the cult of the Jedi. Who better than the Jedi would can use Vongsense, who understands and empathizes with them, and has a connection to their world brain?

I think that Jacen is being groomed as a leader. Obviously, he?s not going to lead the Jedi (that?s Luke, and then Kyp), and he?s not going to rule the Republic (that?ll be Cal Omas and his democratically elected successors). That pretty much leaves the Yuuzhan Vong as the logical choice for him to lead. I?m not sure whether he?ll be a secular or religious leader, but I imagine that after the NJO he?ll have quite a voice among them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.