main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are the current NJO 'Jedi Masters' really to be taken as masters?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by loontexas, Dec 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Halcyon

Master_Halcyon Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2001
    A Padawan is supposed to refer to their Master as Master; however the title of Jedi master is not given to a knight just because they have an apprentice.

Also Mara's training with Luke was much more personal than parent/child since they can hear each others thoughts.

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    No, part of being a master is learning temperence and patience,

Where does it say that?

Anyway, Mara was trained in some basics, such as TK, by Palpatine, but never given full training in any way.

3. Kast_Morben

Kast_Morben Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Kyp a master yet Kyle not!!?? what is going on there. Kyp continually defies the Jedi code and is so young. Even though it is a new era there are somethings that should not be compromised, Kyp is way too young to be a master - around TPM you have to be at least around 40 to make it to master

Who decides on who is the master anyway - is it Luke? Luke and some kind of democratic council? Luke and trusted advisors? The mind Boggles

I thought Luke was menat to reform the council in the NJO anyway, I wouldn't include Kyp on my council it would be

Luke
    Mara
    Corran
    Kam
    Kyle Katarn
    Cilghal
    Streen
    Tionne

No more seem worthy, except in the EC Luke is shown with more students in his inorgural class, I believe these also to be worthy.

4. Corran

Corran Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    There are somehing some of you dont understand ad that is that all Jedi dont have the same force powers
    Take Corran He cant lift a feather and some asume that he is weak in the force But what other jedi can absorbe energi like Corran ??
    All jedis have theyre own strenght in the force. Some are good at lifting Some can see the future Some are good healers.
    Most of them are good at one thing and can do some others Some are stronger than others in the force but that dont make them better as masters.
    To be a good master u have to be a leader and a teacher.
    Luke, yes

Kyp, yes

Kam, yes

Tionne yes

Mara yes (she has expirience from palpys days:)

Corran yes

Kenth, I dunno.

5. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    A few random notes about Jedi Masters (possible minor AotC spoiler):

1) In the Forbidden Love trailer for AotC, Obi-Wan is referred to as "Master Kenobi" by Padme. I assume that this means that he is a Jedi Master. (After all, she's not his padawan.)

2) I don't think that a person's strength in the force should be the requirement for them to be a Master. Rather, I think that their understanding of the Force is key.

Take Physics, for example. Some people have a real aptitude for the math needed in physics, yet they are not quickly awarded a doctorate. They still need to show a certain level of understanding of the laws of physics.

My father earned a PhD in Physics in 1981 and since then, after teaching for the Navy for a while, has not really used that knowledge. Does that make him less of a Doctor of Physics? No. Perhaps a Jedi can be the same way.

By that reasoning, ANY Jedi could eventually become a Master, as they grow in their understanding of the Force.

Kimball Kinnison

6. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Kast, it is about skill, not age. Also, your council is very biased. Two married couples, and noone from the other Jedi faction? That wouldnt make a fair council

7. Disco_Dark_Jeedai

Disco_Dark_Jeedai Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2001
    Look at it this way: In the OR there were many Jedi to use as a measuring stick in regards to who becomes a master or not. But now you only have Luke as the measuring stick. Luke alone knows at which point he "felt" he achieved enough knowledge and discipline to declare himself a master. So he would know at what point in others' training that they too could be called masters. This is a different Jedi order than it was in the OR, this order is in its infancy and must learn as time goes on. So then you can say that Kam, Tionne, Corran, Kyp and maybe Mara all have reached the level that Luke feels is sufficient to make them masters. Not to mention there may also be broader leeway in order to train the many younger Jedi they keep finding.

8. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Luke, yes

Kyp, not a chance

Kam, yes

Tionne, yes

Mara, no

Corran, yes

Kenth, Who is this.

Ok, here is why I put what I did.
    Luke because he is the only one with a great deal of training and the only one that was also deamed a Knight by members on the old order (Yoda indirectly).

Kyp is too immature. He doesn't seem to have the focus, other than to kill Vong, to be a master. Even though I don't like the theory I believe he uses the force too much.

Kam had a good deal of jedi training before he met with Luke (dark jedi, but still jedi), he continued to work on this through out his training after meeting Luke.

Tionne has a deeper understanding of the force and knowledge of the force I believe than any other living jedi at the time, she has been at the academy studying and meditating for a long time plus that also means that if a student had an insight she would be one of the first to know.

Mara didn't get much training til after she hooked up with Luke. All of the training she did get before that point was short and inconsistant. IMO she would barally make Knight. Whats with her theories on force using anyway.

Corran has a great understanding of where the line between light and dark lies. He also has had informal Jedi training before the academy. Plus he seems to have a conection with the living force.

Kenth like I stated about I don't have a clue who this is.

9. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Yes, they are to be considered as Masters. Different times have dictated different methods of training for modern Jedi. After all, since almost all of the records of the old Jedi were destroyed in the Purge, these Masters and the other modern Jedi would have no choice but to restructure the system established by previous generations.

10. Dark_JEDI_OZ

Dark_JEDI_OZ Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 27, 2001
    Patience and Temperence...
    What I was refering to was inferences I've made about being a Jedi, through stuff I've read in the books and seen in the movies. Yoda speaks of control and recklessness. Patience goes in with this IMO. In Shadows, which I just finished reading again, Luke talks about how a Jedi Knight should be more tolerant of others and not let anger and "brashness" get in the way. Thus the temperence part. I think a Jedi Knight must be well adjusted with these ideals. Kyp is not well versed in either, imo, so how can he be considered a master? He's always rushing to fight, never thinking, etc. etc. I just don't think he's a Master.

11. Jedi_Master_Mazzara

Jedi_Master_Mazzara Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2001
    Thank-you Corran for so aptly describing Corran Horn, and not only his absorb energy, look at his battle prowess, and look at his influence mind ability, all by far greater than most of the Jedi in the NJO. Can someone clarify this, was Vergere a Knight, Master or Padawan when taken by the Vong in Rogue Planet?

12. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    In the Old Republic, Jedi candidates are taken at a very young age. They are probably undergoing some type of preparation for becoming a Jedi, even as toddlers. In TESB, Luke mentions that Dagobah seems familiar. I've always had the theory that in Episode III it will be shown that Luke (and maybe Leia too) were on Dagobah for a little while under Yoda or Ben's care getting some of the Jedi training building blocks. They were so young they don't remember. Ben may also have been preparing Luke for a little while on Tatooine, before Owen and Beru might have cut him off from Luke. This would partly explain why Luke could "begin" training at such an old age, but this theory would have major repercussions in the EU, as all the Jedi started at older ages.

13. loontexas

loontexas Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2001

rogue planet stated that vergere was a padawan when she dissapeared.

and about the luke/leia on dagobah theory, i dont think so, because why would they have been split and taken away from the tutelage of yoda and kenobi? especially luke, who was taken back to tattooine of all places.

its been hinted in a few books and a few statements by lucas that all th4 jedi split up for some reason (probably to survive), and that yoda went to dagobah to kill a rogue jedi, and that obiwan was chased to tattooine by a dark jedi whom he later killed (a good guess would be auura sing, since she had been watching over anakin on tattooine earlier).

14. Kast_Morben

Kast_Morben Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    ReaperFett, I understand that it is about skill and not age but I still don't believe that Kyp has the matruity that any of these others have learnt. With age comes experience I believe that the old saying goes!

I don't think that married couples on the council would be that much of a problem to be honest, Just because you are married doesn't mean that you have to share the same opinion. I understand what you are getting at however, perhaps the Jedi are just too limited in number to run the fully established council (even though in Vector Prime it mentions that there are around 100 jedi in the galaxy, yet so few masters)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.