main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are the cut endings of KOTOR2 canon? (KOTOR2 spoilers, naturally)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Esplin9466, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    For those who don't know what I'm talking about . . .

Well, are they? They can't all be, of course, but can we assume that your party confronted Traya in the Trayus Core? That Atton was killed by Darth Sion (or that he, or at least his Force ghost, accompanied the exile into the Unknown Regions)? That the Handmaiden and/or Visas remained behind on Malachor V to train the future of the Jedi Order (though that would mean that Malachor didn't explode)?

On that note, what about the other cut material? Did the exile encounter a vision of Dustil Onasi in Ludo Kressh's tomb? Did HK-47 save the remote from G0-T0? Was the HK-50 factory ever found and destroyed?

After finding out about all this awesome stuff that was cut from the game, I can't help but wonder if it will be accepted as a part of Star Wars canon. Is there a precedent for cut material? Scenes cut from the movies but included in the novelizations are canon. Minus the novelization part, would the same hold true here?

2. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Its a very dicey situation, cut material that is. ;)

It really depends on what is going to happen in KOTOR III.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    No, they are not considered canon, just as Escape from Dagu is not canon(the events are vaguely referenced in other sources, but IIRC "we don't know what exactly happened").

4. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    I would consider them canon. That is, if I didn't object to half the main characters being killed off. Not only that, they might need some of those characters in K3.

Where's Bao-Dur in all that, anyway -- you can make a Jedi out of him. I did that, and he was a rather bad-ass one, too. Guess he stayed at the ship to prep it for takeoff. He can't be dead -- the fact that you're able to ask about his future is proof of that.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    They never happened, so they're not canon. Things that are cut do not happen, unless they're mentioned in another source--which these endings are not.

Furthermore, the rumor mill suggests that the factory may appear in KOTORIII, so that bit definately cannot be canonical.

And III will most certainly operate off of the displayed endings in II, so there's no way that the cut endings can be canon.

6. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    They were cut for a reason, they conflict with the over all direction of the game that stated that it Malachar V was destroyed.

7. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    They were cut for a reason, they conflict with the over all direction of the game that stated that it Malachar V was destroyed.
    Ach, if that was true, then they should've cut the whole last planet, shouldn't they? And besides, Malachor V seemed pretty destroyed to me...

Where's Bao-Dur in all that, anyway -- you can make a Jedi out of him. I did that, and he was a rather bad-ass one, too. Guess he stayed at the ship to prep it for takeoff. He can't be dead -- the fact that you're able to ask about his future is proof of that.

I'm personally not entirely certain about this. Doesn't his communication with the remote say something like 'If you're hearing this, I'm most likely dead'? Plus, I can't remember hearing about what would happen with Bao-Dur from Kreia. In fact, I don't recall that he got a mention at all.

And as much as I like the ending that they originally wanted to do, I really don't think that it is canon. Pity, because KotOR 2 appears to be missing a real good ol' ending as it is.

8. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Furthermore, the rumor mill suggests that the factory may appear in KOTORIII, so that bit definately cannot be canonical.

Unless the developers take the smart route and simply finish what was there, which (from what I understand is intact in the Xbox version) involves pretty much only bugfixes.

And III will most certainly operate off of the displayed endings in II, so there's no way that the cut endings can be canon.

Umm... what displayed endings? :p Seriously, I saw absolutely no resolution of any of my characters except Kreia. (And maybe the Exile. Kinda.) Last I saw, Mira's stuck out in the middle of nowhere, and Bao-Dur's hologram believes that he's dead (;)); I haven't seen hide nor hair of anyone else since then. (Well, except G0-T0. He's dead, and so's the remote. But that would've been nice to see, instead of just being implied by the "planet destroyed" cutscene.) So the cut stuff would work fine--and, in fact, would make it make more sense.

9. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    (Well, except G0-T0. He's dead, and so's the remote. But that would've been nice to see, instead of just being implied by the "planet destroyed" cutscene.)

Though I still don't understand how that happened without the cut "HK-47 saves the day!" scene. Didn't G0-T0 stop the remote before he could activate the mass shadow generator? How did the planet explode?

10. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Query: Do you ignorant meatbags really need to have all the dots connected? Why can't you simply accept that someone screwed up and chose to introduce vast plot holes into the final game, all the while hiding my vast contributions to the Exile's victory?

11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    According to Kreia, Bao-Durs and the droids T3 and Hk's future is "unreadable" or something or other. So they'll prob end up in KOTOR III

Attons dead? Did I miss something?

12. Sith-Pirate

Sith-Pirate Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2001
    Where's Bao-Dur in all that, anyway -- you can make a Jedi out of him. I did that, and he was a rather bad-ass one, too

How? I made a jedi out of Atton and Handmaiden, but every time I talked to Bao-Dur the only option I had to talk about was his damn remote.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Attons dead? Did I miss something?

Atton dies in a cut ending(i.e. he doesn't die).

14. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    Everyone in your party except Canderous and the droids can either be made into a Jedi or comes with Force powers.

For Bao-Dur, you have to have him in your party a whole lot so he can witness your actions in person. You usually have to be fairly light side oriented to get Bao-Dur to be a Jedi -- any callous actions you commit will lose influence with him, unless Kreia is present at the time. Then, you can argue the influence loss away.

'If you're hearing this, I'm most likely dead'? Plus, I can't remember hearing about what would happen with Bao-Dur from Kreia. In fact, I don't recall that he got a mention at all.

No, it never said that. It merely said that that was Bao-Dur's final command to the remote. As we see, the remote is most likely destroyed, and Bao-Dur can't issue any more commands to a dead remote. Bao-Dur DOES get a mention in the ending dialogue -- Kreia says that she cannot read his future, but he would not have been mentioned at all if he were dead.

15. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I hope not. I think that while the open-ended nature of the game could certainly use some polish, it does lead well into KOTORIII. KOTOR is like ANH: it's flat out awesome and works fine on its own. But KOTORII is like ESB: it's good on its own, but will only really truly work when the sequel is in place.

16. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I'd concider them canon. At least everything except the Dustil part.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Unless the developers take the smart route and simply finish what was there, which (from what I understand is intact in the Xbox version) involves pretty much only bugfixes.

No, it's actually quite broken. It's "intact" in the sense that you can use a warp cheat to get into it, but other than that, nothing works. The random assorted files are there, but not the factory.

The folks at Holowan Labs are working on trying to mod a version of it that works.

But no, if it's in KOTORIII, they'll have to be certain major changes--they can't just stick something from the middle of II's story into III.

EDIT: *rushes in*

Okay, my bad. It is very near complete, including internal cutscenes... there's just no connection to the plot or influence system, as if it's a self-contained little level. It was the Droid Planet itself that was broken.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.