main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Are the darkest chapters also the funniest?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by squir1y, Dec 31, 2016.

1. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    That's something I've noticed after seeing Rogue One. This was a somber and intense tale, but it also had some of the biggest laughs in the series thus far. From, frankly, any of K-2SO's scenes (except that last one) and Chirrut Imwe, who I thought was going to be the most serious character in the film, delivered one of the most memorable one liners in the film. As thrilled as the audience was with this movie, the laughs were also at their strongest.

But I notice its also the same with The Empire Strikes Back and Revenge of the Sith. These delved into some pretty dark tones as we all know, but again, the humor is at its strongest. In Empire, we got the witty romantic back and forth, the Falcon's hyperdrive repeatedly breaking down, the space slug, Yoda's entrance and Han Solo's swagger works perfectly with everyone else in the film. And in Revenge of the Sith, they had some of the most likable character moments in the saga. This movie is the reason Obi-Wan Kenobi became my second favorite character. He's quite charming. I liked the scenes with him and Anakin in the first act. I remember Artoo's antics aboard the ship got a lot of laughs in the theater. Even Yoda Force pushing the royal guard's casually against the wall got a great reaction.

So do you think the humor was just written better in these entries or do you just think it incited a better reaction to break the more solid tension of these outings?

2. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    The best of the sagas films include the best writing, including both humor and plot. And indeed, the darker ones tend to be better. Movies I mean, not force users.