main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are the Dozen an official, comissioned part of the New Republic military?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMasterAaron, Sep 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    Or are they a civilian unit of pilots, unofficially provided ships and fuel by the New Republic?

What I mean is, do they have official military designations? I'm looking for actual textual proof here if anyone can provide any, since I've come to realize that I may have been wrong about this argument in another thread, and I'd like to get things cleared up.

"Any help here would be hot." :)

JMA

2. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Yes, they are! Myeh! :p :D

Jae Angel

3. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    You could ask me, but noooo, make redundant threads :)

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    One Word: No. 8-}

The Dozen got favors from the NR millitary, though.

5. JediMasterAaron

Oct 14, 2000
    RF:

It's not redundant. We were actually hijacking the thread by talking about an offshoot of the main topic in the Kyp Durron thread. This thread is appropriate.

Besides, why would I ask you? You clearly have a biased opinion on the matter. :)

JMA

6. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    i do not believe so. in Dark Journey, they talk about how it's much less formal than commissioned units.

they are founded by Kyp Durron, who isn't the most liked man in the New Republic Armed Forces, and there was never any indication of military rankings. basically, i believe that they are a civilian founded, civilian run squadron that goes around bashing the bad guys... of course, i could be mistaken...

7. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I believe Lt_Jaina_Solo is correct.

8. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    they are founded by Kyp Durron, who isn't the most liked man in the New Republic Armed Forces

Post proof of that. We all know that Wedge doesn't like Kyp, but Wedge isn't the entire New Republic Military. I distinctly remember a whole bunch of pilots cheering at the end of Rebirth because they brought the fight to the enemy. Wedge and Jaina might not have been too happy, but a lot of people were.

Jae Angel

9. Lt_Jaina_Solo

May 27, 2002
    [face_blush] thankies!

also, the pilots in Kyp's squadron are drawn from everywhere. i mean, there's that really young kid who got killed in the battle of Coruscant. i doubt any commissioned unit would have accepted anyone that young. i think that he was like 14. also, pilots in commissioned units don't go abadon their squadron leaders like Octa (sp?, correct person?) did to Kyp in that same battle. they would get in so much trouble for that, so no, they are not a commissioned unit, but they might get favors every now and then from Starfighter Command...

EDIT: sorry, NJ, my mistake. i do know that several pilots/people in the NR military don't like him because one: he's a Jedi, and two: he used the Rogues to blow up the worldship. namely, some of the Rogues (current and former).

i like Kyp myself right now, but i find it very hard to do so after the end of Rebirth. maybe he's better liked now for his work in the Twin Suns Squadron....

again, sorry, i didn't mean to offend anyone (if i did)

10. Anakin1607

Anakin1607 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    They get "aid" from tne NR, but no. They are not an offical military fighter wing. They're a "volunteer" group like Wes' Yellow Aces.

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Lt_Jaina_Solo: You forgot that he killed tens of billions of beings with the Sun Crusher. That may be a reason not to like him. :)

12. Lt_Jaina_Solo

May 27, 2002
    yes, but it doesn't seem like people really actually think that when they see him....

EDIT: just realized: he has the planet blowing up painted on his X-wing in Rebel Dream. sorry, i had thought that maybe Luke had done something so that no one remembered except for Jedi that he'd done that... my bad....

13. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    they are founded by Kyp Durron, who isn't the most liked man in the New Republic Armed Forces, and there was never any indication of military rankings. basically, i believe that they are a civilian founded, civilian run squadron that goes around bashing the bad guys... of course, i could be mistaken...

So because Kyp wants to call Veema Veema instead of Lt or 5, it isnt official? Its a taste difference, IMO

also, the pilots in Kyp's squadron are drawn from everywhere

So was Jaina, and Asyr :)

i doubt any commissioned unit would have accepted anyone that young

Rogues had a 16 year old, and then theres Tahiri and ANakin :)

You forgot that he killed tens of billions of beings with the Sun Crusher. That may be a reason not to like him

Saved just as many :)

He is a NR Support unit. To me, this means he is NR, but isnt under strict orders. But a NR unit he is :)

14. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Remember there is no ban on state service if you pass the tests...see Amidala.

In general dang everyone in the military and bureaucracy hates Kyp Duroun and quite a few in the galaxy as a whole. See Tales of the Jedi, Vector Prime, and the fact that Kyp goes to Wedge Antilles a man who HATES him to get his support.

Gradually Kyp's antics are getting him support and people hate the Vong but in general he's a dangerous rogue to everyone.

Take note when the media portrays Corran as ANOTHER planet destroying Jedi. Barring the fact Luke created Desann, Brakiss, and Kueller this is a small designation.

15. Lt_Jaina_Solo

May 27, 2002
    definately not under strict orders...if he was under strict orders, he never would have used the Rogue Squadron to blow up the worldship. if Kyp was a NR support unit, why did he trick the Rogues into blowing up the worldship? why did he lie to them about what it really was? couldn't he simply have forwarded his data to Starfighter Command? or were his orders so loose that he had no one to report to?

and that kid was 14 years old, not 16 years old. there's a difference 8-}

and the Rogues are drawn from everywhere, while the Dozen just kind of join. they don't really go through any tests or anything to prove their abilities. if they can manage to get their starfighter off the ground and they can shoot, they're in. take the 14 year old kid for instance. would any squadron in the New Republic Starfighter Command have accepted that kid simply because he tagged along and managed to shoot down a couple coralskippers? no commander would have accepted him because the younger he is, the more likely he's going to get killed.... besides, Gavin objected to Jaina being in the Rogue Squadron on the grounds of one: she was too young, two: the Solo family had contributed so much already (that last fact is not that important).

Tahiri and Anakin never flew with any New Republican squadron or support unit....

besides, Wedge and other members of Starfighter Command don't see him as even an NR support unit. they simply fly around and blow up bad guys. they managed to help the NR out a couple of times. so have the Jedi, the Hapan government, and the Chiss government(not sure if the IR helped). does that make them NR support units, or NR squadrons?

16. JediMasterAaron

Oct 14, 2000
    So because Kyp wants to call Veema Veema instead of Lt or 5, it isnt official? Its a taste difference, IMO

Or it could be because Veema doesn't HAVE an official designation.

He is a NR Support unit. To me, this means he is NR, but isnt under strict orders. But a NR unit he is

So you don't have any proof, you just want us to trust you? ?[face_plain]

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. :)

JMA

17. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Besides, wasn't he out harassing smugglers for some stupid reason before the whole Vong thing came up?

It seems they're more of a volunteer, not officially tied to the military unit.

18. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Kyp and the Dozen are accepted by Krefay, I suspect that they might have been given the designation of partisans in this war.

Especially since no doubt many of Kyp's dozen come from worlds under threat or domination of the Vong

19. Lt_Jaina_Solo

May 27, 2002
    i agree with Guinastasia and JediMasterAaron.

and i think i see someone who's seriously in love with Kyp, ReaperFett... (not that that's really bad, so don't get insulted...)

20. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    if Kyp was a NR support unit, why did he trick the Rogues into blowing up the worldship? why did he lie to them about what it really was? couldn't he simply have forwarded his data to Starfighter Command? or were his orders so loose that he had no one to report to?

Goes to Starfighter command, and possible traitors reveal the plans. COuld take weeks.

By the same token, why does Wedge lie in RD? Becuase its for the best.

besides, Gavin objected to Jaina being in the Rogue Squadron on the grounds of one: she was too young, two: the Solo family had contributed so much already

But she did join.

so have the Jedi, the Hapan government, and the Chiss government(not sure if the IR helped)

The Chiss we saw were IR

Tahiri and Anakin never flew with any New Republican squadron or support unit....

Didnt they? :)

Okay, Anakin never did as such, but has flown with his parents full knowledge. Tahiri?

YLESIA SPOILERS

Leads :)

END

Or it could be because Veema doesn't HAVE an official designation.

Or it could be what I said! :)

So you don't have any proof, you just want us to trust you?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

1- Got any proof he isnt?

2- I got a quote in the other thread :)

21. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    Besides, wasn't he out harassing smugglers for some stupid reason before the whole Vong thing came up?

It seems they're more of a volunteer, not officially tied to the military unit.

That was the Avengers though, not the Dozen. The Avengers were NOT NR

and i think i see someone who's seriously in love with Kyp, ReaperFett... (not that that's really bad, so don't get insulted...)

I see people who want to bash Kyp

j/k :)

None taken, but I am not using my bias here :)

22. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    Your question is kind of faulty, JMA. They can be an official part of the NR Military without being commissioned. In the U.S. military, enlistedmen and NCO's (those who joined the military through enlistment rather than through officer training) are probably the largest group in the military, and they serve a lot of important functions.

You guys seem to think that just because they're a volunteer unit that they're not part of the NR Military. Sure, in the strictest sense of the word, they're "not commissioned." Yet, as I stated above, that shouldn't be enough to call them unofficial.

The fact that the NR classifies them as a support unit is enough proof for me that they're part of the NR Military.

23. Lt_Jaina_Solo

May 27, 2002
    Goes to Starfighter command, and possible traitors reveal the plans. COuld take weeks.
    well, he could have told Wedge the truth and not lied...

By the same token, why does Wedge lie in RD? Becuase its for the best.
    i always thought that he was playing a joke on Gavin or something. besides, was Wedge's lying for the best. for a joke, maybe. for anything else, probably not. was Kyp's lying for the best? Try this: NOPE!!!!!!!

besides, Gavin objected to Jaina being in the Rogue Squadron on the grounds of one: she was too young, two: the Solo family had contributed so much already

But she did join.

yes, after Leia convinced Gavin that it wouldn't be fair for Jaina not be able to fly....

The Chiss we saw were IR
    i don't think so. yes, they are connected with the Empire, but i do not think that they are part of the Imperial Remnant...

Okay, Anakin never did as such, but has flown with his parents full knowledge. Tahiri?

number 1: i have not read Ylesia yet, so i would not know anything that happens in that book.

number 2: the 14 year old kid ran away after stealing his mother's prized X-wing. also, Anakin didn't fly in the Dozen or in any Starfighter Command unit.

also, ReaperFett. i'll let you in on something. i used to be totally Kyp/Jaina, and i still like Kyp (just not with Jaina), so i don't bash him. i'm just saying that i really doubt that he's part of the NR military (at least commissioned, or even as a support unit)

and as to what Face_Loran said, you can't really draw parallels here. number 1: they are two different set-ups in military. we can't really draw parallels between the U.S. military and the NR Starfighter Command. number 2: none of the Dozen or Kyp are/were enlisted. number 3: i don't think that the NR classifies them as a support unit...

just my opinion....

24. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    well, he could have told Wedge the truth and not lied...

Wedge wouldnt :)

i always thought that he was playing a joke on Gavin or something. besides, was Wedge's lying for the best. for a joke, maybe. for anything else, probably not. was Kyp's lying for the best? Try this: NOPE!!!!!!!

No, it was what he told the COS.

And I feel it was. THey destroyed a craft that could ferry Vong troops. I find that to be strategically good.

yes, after Leia convinced Gavin that it wouldn't be fair for Jaina not be able to fly....

I actually dont remember that. It was because it WASNT FAIR? Jeez, thats a weak argument :)

i don't think so. yes, they are connected with the Empire, but i do not think that they are part of the Imperial Remnant...

They came with Paellons lot. Maybe not actual IR, but were IR then, IIRC

the 14 year old kid ran away after stealing his mother's prized X-wing. also, Anakin didn't fly in the Dozen or in any Starfighter Command unit.

yeah, but Lando, Hana nd Leia would let him fly, yet a NR unit wouldnt? I disagree.

also, ReaperFett. i'll let you in on something. i used to be totally Kyp/Jaina, and i still like Kyp (just not with Jaina), so i don't bash him. i'm just saying that i really doubt that he's part of the NR military (at least commissioned, or even as a support unit)

Never said you were/werent :)

3: i don't think that the NR classifies them as a support unit...

"theyre classified as a support unit". Karrde said that.

just my opinion....

And tis all good :)

25. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    "and as to what Face_Loran said, you can't really draw parallels here. number 1: they are two different set-ups in military. we can't really draw parallels between the U.S. military and the NR Starfighter Command."

Why can't we draw parallels? I'm not saying that they use the same system or the same titles, but all militaries need to have something like that. Those members of any military who went through officer training (in the case of the U.S., the Naval Academy, West Point, ROTC, etc.) are called "commissioned officers." They may call them something else in GFFA but that's besides the point. Everyone else who just joined up "enlisted." There's no way every soldier in the NR Military went through officer training, there wouldn't be enough of them, and we have evidence that some didn't. Therefore, some are enlisted.

"number 2: none of the Dozen or Kyp are/were enlisted."

If the Dozen is a Military Unit, the act of joining the Squadron is enlistment.

"number 3: i don't think that the NR classifies them as a support unit..."

According to Talon Karrde, in Jedi Eclipse, they do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.