main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are the JAT and I, Jedi Worth reading?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JordocktheX, Jul 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JordocktheX

JordocktheX Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2002
    I've heard mixed reviews, most bad about the JAT. I've started reading some of the NJO and was wondering if you thought it would be a good idea to read these books first.

2. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    JAT has some very good aspects but has some credibility destroying aspects as well.

I, Jedi is a good read if you like Corran Horn. If you don't then I would stay well away.

3. Miin_Bodenna

Miin_Bodenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2002
    I would recomend reading JAT first so you know whats happening in I, Jedi...and then I,Jedi...they were both very good books IMO.

4. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    JAT is ok, but if you absolutly must have continuity, you should probably read this

I, Jedi is simply awesome

5. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    JAT is a must, IMO.

I, Jedi was good, but because I dont like Corran much, the book did have problems. But if you like him, it'd be class.

6. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    The JAT will help you understand the NJO, as it introduces Kyp Durron (Now a Jedi Master and Major Character), it gives you a little look at Jacen and Jaina, and even Anakin (When they were all really young).

You meet Qui Xux, who (I think) is in the NJO somewhere.

If you didn't read Dark Empire, you get a little bit of history from it.

If you didn't read any Thrawn books, you get a [brief] look at Mara Jade.

In I, Jedi you meet Corran Horn, which introduces him, a [sometimes] major character in the NJO, which is helpful if you're not going to read the Rogue Squadron books. You also meet (kinda) Mirax Horn and Booster Terrik, the father of Mirax and owner of the semi-prominent Errant Venture. You see Daala who is a major villian (heh) later on, and who teams up with Pellaeon. It goes on :p

There's more too. You see the water world of Calamari, you see Kessel, you learn about some Jedi lore and about the Sith a little bit. I would say that to jump into the NJO, you can get by easily with only reading these books.

Plus you get to see Winter (A new character for Just-NJO fans)

7. Redjedi5

Redjedi5 Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    I would ask that new enterants into the realm of the EU please ignore Mara's apperence in the JAT. Anderson may be a decent author, but he does an absolutely awful Mara Jada. Other than that, its a (slightly) above average series, and pretty crucial in the grand scheme of things.

I, Jedi is simply a great book, and gives the reader a more anaylitic view of some of the events of the greater Star Wars Saga. A must read

8. sith1137

sith1137 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2001
    i, Jedi is my favorite so far, so i say go for it

9. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    one word

yes

AXL

10. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    JAT's worth depends on who you ask: 50% say it's good the other 50 say it's not so good.
    My only answer is for you to read it and find out for yourself.

As for I, Jedi
    Personally I think it's one of the very best SW novels out there. So I'd say a definite yes for that one.

11. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    I would say that the JAT and I, Jedi are worth reading unless you don't like Kevin J. Anderson's writing style. You can probably find them easily at your local library. :)

12. stecm

stecm Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2002
    JAT's okay but its writing seemes a bit childish. I, Jedi is pretty good, but it's written in the first-person in a pulp fiction kind of style (for lack of a better term)

13. bterrik

bterrik Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2001
    I liked the JAT.

But I, Jedi was freakin' awesome!

14. CommanderDarienCanix

CommanderDarienCanix Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2002
    Read JAT because it has some stuff you'll want know because of history and all, despite the fact that it is not very well writen. I, Jedi is a must, but if you're going to read JAT read that first, then I, Jedi.

15. Crix-Madine

Crix-Madine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2000
    JAT is a must if you are a serious reader of EU.

I, Jedi is probably my favorite book out of all the EU novels, or close to it. Even if you don't like Corran Horn, it's still a very good read.

PS Corran Rules!!! ;)

16. Silky

Silky Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    definately read I, Jedi as it's excellent and helps to explain more of whats happening in JAT as there are gaps that needed answering. However, although not my favourite series the JAT is still quite good.
    As far as KJA's writing style i just don't think it lends itself to star wars as he tries to "dumb down" to much, as his co-writing on the Dune prequal's are rather competant, and is quite an enjoyable read

17. NikeSkylark

NikeSkylark Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 20, 2002
    all i have to say on this subject is that i, jedi is my favorite star wars book :)

~NiKe, DaRK LaDy oF THe SiTH~

18. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    JAT are not as wonderful as they could be, but the main character is Kyp, so I don't complain.

I really didn't like I, Jedi. I hate Corran. BUt I do think Stackpole did a pretty good job handling the only first person book in the EU. I can't believe I just said that.

19. JaggedFel26

JaggedFel26 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2002
    At first I didn't think that they were going to be that good. But i finally picked them up and read all four of them (including I, Jedi within five days). I enjoyed them a lot and thought they were pretty good. I, Jedi is the most unique Star Wars book out there because its a first person prespective throught the eyes of Corran Horn. Also, I really liked how it TIES directly into the Jedi Academy trilogy. All great stuff.

20. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    I, Jedi is the best EU novel out there, IMO. Nuff said.

JMA

21. Crix-Madine

Crix-Madine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2000
    Corran is much cooler then that little whiner Kyp :D

Not to mention he isn't a mass murderer! :D :D :D

22. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    DO NOT DISS MY KYP!!!!!!!!!!! I WILL GET OUT MY PILLOWS, AND YOU WILL BE SORRY!!!!!!!!!!

23. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    You'll get mixed reviews about everything. Try the books, you never know. Some reviewers don't know what they're talking about. It's mostly a matter of taste. I personally am fond of the work of both Timothy Zahn and Kevin J. Anderson.
    *braces for volley of rotten fruit*
    You get a lot of people who passionately like one and hate the other. Don't let them discourage you from reading anything that's out there. You never know what might turn out to be the best book you ever read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.