1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

PT Are the Jedi corrupt?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Baks, Jan 20, 2017.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There are many children of the Force (potentials) out there who were identified, but not brought into the Temple. A whole list of them was kept on file in the Temple's Archives.

ANAKIN: "Who's Bolla Ropal?"

MACE: "He is the keeper of the Kyber crystal, the data on which can only be read by Holocrons."

AHOKSA: "What's on the crystal?"

MACE: "A list of every known Force-sensitive child in the galaxy. The future Younglings. The future of the Jedi Order."

Many of these Force sensitives will never make into the Jedi Order. Just as not all of the Dagoyan Masters of Bardotta are not in the Jedi Order. Just as the Nightsisters and Nightbrothers of Dathomir are not part of the Jedi Order. These people would grow up like Rey did, not knowing about the Force and living a normal life for years.

In the old EU, the Jedi who didn't become a Padawan to a single Master by the time they reached their teens, were sent to work in the Agricultural Corps. Obi-wan was going to be sent there, since Qui-gon had initially refused to take him on. He wound up changing his mind after a couple of adventures during a trip together. In TCW, Ahsoka was allowed to leave the Order when she was fifteen, after she had been cleared of bombing the Temple and committing murder.

That was true, but it was also about Luke fighting a Sith Lord when he wasn't ready to do so. Obi-wan saw that conflict coming and saw paths where Luke would fail or fall.

I don't think the Jedi just kick someone out, if they haven't gotten a grip. They would, I assume, still be paired up with their Master or assigned someone else.

When Ahsoka left, she was as I noted, fifteen. But she chose to search for Maul as he was the only link to finding out who Darth Sidious was. Most kids don't leave on their own, based on the way it's been described. That few Jedi have left the Order, so odds are they wouldn't want to go on their own accord. But say that there was someone who did want to leave, if the Jedi didn't do something like the Agriculture Corps, they would probably see to it that the child is placed somewhere positive for their own good. They probably wouldn't be sent back to their families.
  2. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    "All those who gain power are afraid to lose it. Even the Jedi."

"The Jedi are taking over!"

"If they are not all destroyed, there will be Civil War without end."

"Every single Jedi is now an Enemy of the Republic.....and the Jedi Rebellion has been foiled. The remaining Jedi will be hunted down and defeated!"

It appears the Jedi Order became complacent, decadent, corrupt. They served a corrupt bureaucratic Republic that had lost touch with reality. The Jedi lost their way. By the time they realised their follies, a group of Jedi Masters then even attempted a coup against the Republic.

I would say they are corrupt in the sense of complacency, apathy and unwilling to do what is necessary.

As Qui Gon Gin once said, the Jedi Order lacked...

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    He's not Qui-gon there. :p Ra's al Ghul isn't exactly that sane either.
    Vialco and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  4. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    If you wish to dispense true justice, you simply walk up to someone and ignite your lightsaber through their chest. Chancellor of the Republic, or not...

I know. Great character in that movie too. I actually wish we had more of that in the ST.

I don't believe the Jedi were corrupt directly. But they tolerated it. And they served a corrupt Republic. Complacency and the inability/will to act spelled their doom.
  5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Backpacking One Pack a Day Mod of New Films star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 16, 2005
    Corrupt - hell no. I define corrupt as someone who takes bribes and is basically dishonest and shady - a politician who is easily bought, for example. The Jedi were not in the least corrupt by that definition.

They were not perfect, either, of course. Short-sighted, complacent...sure.