main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Are the new Marvel Star Wars comics good for older teens/adults?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jkarateking, Apr 16, 2016.

1. jkarateking

jkarateking Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 16, 2016
    In like 2014 or 2015, Marvel started a new line of Star Wars Comics like 'Star Wars' and 'Darth Vader'.

Are these designed just for kids with like the heroes winning with no real challenge or would older audiences like the comics as well (so there is a challenge and the heroes do lose some battles and stuff and also not kiddish writing).

Thanks

2. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    "Darth Vader" has a pretty dark tone, and as the title suggests, the protagonist is an anti hero as are his companions. The antagonists lack morality just as much as the protagonists. Therefore "Darth Vader" is definitely not a kid friendly comic series.

"Star Wars" has a lighter tone than "Darth Vader", and is just as enjoyable for kids as for adults. "Kanan" fits this category as well, since it has a positive tone to it accentuated by the cartoony (and gorgeous) art, however, it also provides pretty dark and challenging circumstances for the titular character. "Shattered Empire" is suitable for kids and adults as well.

I cannot praise "Lando" enough. Considering the title and main character, I expected a very light and funny mini series. It's not. In fact, it is one of the darkest of the new Marvel comics so far and it's definitely worth reading.

"Chewbacca" and "Leia" are the most kid friendly of the bunch with light, action packed stories (especially "Chewbacca") and corresponding art. Not my favorite SW comics, but if I had to pick SW comics for kids, I'd go with these two titles. "Poe Dameron" has only one issue out so far, and by the looks of it, it seems to lean more to the "kids" side, but don't take my word for it since my opinion may change as the series progresses.

jkarateking likes this.
  3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    They are definitely not meant to be just for kids. They are doing an excellent job of weaving storylines together that will have Star Wars fans of all ages appreciating it.

Like Spicer mentioned the only one released so far that could be panned as being for kids would be Chewbacca mini where you are basically seeing the story unfold from the eyes of a twelve year old girl.

4. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    I'd say they are all in the PG-13 range of maturity. Like most modern comics they are targeted towards adults but they appropriate for most children.

Almost all of them are good. Darth Vader and Lando are great.

5. StarLorrd

StarLorrd Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 18, 2014
    They're more suited to adults than most of the novels are tbh