main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Are the novelizations of the original trilogy better than the movies?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Zannah, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    Hi, I just got finished reading the prequel trilogy novelizations and in my opinion AOTC and ROTS were ultimately better handled and delivered in the novels than in the films. Now, I'd like to say that I loved ROTS and for the longest time held out of reading the novel because I thought "What's the point? I already love the film." Boy, was I wrong to hold out for so long. As much as I like the movie, the book totally presented the material with much more depth. If the film is a great movie, than the novel is just outright Pulitzer Prize winner/Shakespearean!

With that being said, I am curious if this is only the case for the prequel novelizations....Are the novelizations of the original trilogy better than the movies as well? What are your recommendations?

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    ROTJ has a good novelization. Vader's redemption is described with so much emotion and a number of characters habe interesting thoughts.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I don't think so. I will say that as a 6 year old who became one of GL's kids in 1977 that ROTJ was a big deal. And I went and read the book before seeing the film. I have read something like a thousand books and still that was one of the best experiences of my life. It might seem trite to many, but that little 200 pages book was incredible and it made me want to see the film more. But I would not say the books were better. TESB novelization was the least of them.

I just relized I have not read the AOTC novel so I cannot comment. The TPM novel was nothign special to me. The ROTS novel is the best of all the novelizations and quite frankly one of the best books I have ever read.

The ANH novel turned me into a reader. Not voraciously at first to be sure, but that book made me start to wonder things like just what was the speed of light anyway? We had a set of encyclopedia and the flood gates opened wide.

But no, I think the films of the OT are the case against the idea that the books are always better.

4. Darth Zannah

Oct 28, 2014
    You both mention ROTJ...I may have to check that one out...
    I recommend AOTC novelization...better dialogue, more believable romance and the plot is fleshed out much better....however I will say it has the least amount of action and is mostly character development...

5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Whether the novelisations are "better" or not is up in the air, CPOV and all that, but I would certainly recommend reading them.

Sarge likes this.
  6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    It really depends on if the writer's handling and style speaks to a reader. I didn't particularly care for any of the novelizations and I tend to prefer books.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The OT novelizations are pretty good imo. There are errors in the novels of course. Blue Yoda, Owen is Obi-Wan's brother etc. The ROTJ battle between Luke, Vader and the Emperor has some awesome extra scenes. Read them!

8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The only one I'd really recommend is ROTJ. The other two are all right, but they don't take advantage of the format the way it (and Stover's ROTS) do.

9. Darth Zannah

Oct 28, 2014
    ROTJ it is then...I'll see if my library has it...so the a new hope novel sucks huh....

One thing about the Rots novel though if it were a film it would have a lot of dialogue and probably 3 hours or more...

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Of course they're not better. The OT is a set of three absolutely outstanding films, some of the best films you can ever see. The OT novelizations are a bunch of screenplays turned into prose by random pulp authors from low on the totem pole. There's no way they can match the quality of the films. The ROTJ novelization is really good for a novelization, but it's not going to top the film. The only way the prequel novelizations were able to come off comparatively well is because they're novelizations of bad films that were in a unique position to add some depth to bad scripts.

They're still definitely worth reading, but it's not like you can improve on the OT.

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The Shakespeare novelizations are far superior. To the films. I cried over ten hours after reading Malakili's (lengthy) tragic monologue.

O that this too, too sullied flesh would melt
    Into oblivion, if I without
    My pet belov'd mus live. O darkest world!
    O misery beyond compare to me.
    (etc)

Even Stover's ROTSian poetry isn't as sweet.

Yup. Superior in every regard.
    [​IMG]

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought Vader's death scene in the ROTJ novelization was great. Other than that, the OT novelizations are far less memorable than the movies to me. And I feel the opposite about the PT novelizations. Both the AOTC and ROTS novelizations are superior to the films.

Revanfan1 and Juke Skywalker like this.
  13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The thing Iliked most about the ROTJ novel was Luke's internal struggle which was told as internal thoughts but from the narrator view. It worked so well.

The first page and the last page are pure gold.

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I've re-read the OT novelizations recentlyish and the thing that kept pulling me out of it were the various (and inevitable) dialog changes and differences. Even a few different or extra words are enough to throw you off when you have every line of the film memorized and you can hear the characters saying it in your head as you read.

I do agree with those who say that the PT novelizations are better written. I felt that the Phantom Menace was the best written, or perhaps more accurately the biggest improvement book-to-movie, of the three novelizations.

15. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    The OT novelizations don't really add much to the experience - you might as well just watch the films. The PT novelizationss, on the other hand, add a ton of nuance to the characters, and getting Anakin's POV in the ROTS novel is amazing.

Hopefully The Force Awakens' novelization will be as good.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I agree. I read the one-book PT, and there is a great difference between TPM/AOTC & ROTS. The first two (except for soem additional scenes) you are reading what happens in the films word for word. Stover's version of ROTS really adds a TON of character depth and weight to the story. While ROTS is a great film, the novel is a masterpeice.

Valairy Scot and Darth Zannah like this.
  17. Darth Zannah

Oct 28, 2014
    Ha. So these are good? I always wondered about these...they can be taken seriously?

And I felt the PM novel was really the weakest of the PT novels...the description of the duel of fates was terrible but it had some moments..like learning about the history of the Sith and Darth Bane

18. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    The Shakespeare books are fantastic if you're a classic literature fan. If you're not a fan of Shakespeare, you might get a chuckle or two, but that's about all.

The only thing I remember about the OT novelizations is Luke asking Obi-Wan what a duck is. That and some of the better passages from the RotJ novel. The ESB one is entirely forgettable. The prequels, it's about the same, hit or miss.

19. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    It was cool kind of getting that description of the combatants. Qui-Gon is described as being past his prime (which doesn't really make sense consdering he is younger than Sidious, Dooku, Yoda ana about the same age as Windu) while Obi-Wan is described being young and inexperienced, which allows you to see how Maul even though he is outnumbered, manages to control the pace because he is a battle tested warrior in his prime.

20. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Sounds like a cop-out to me.

21. Darth Zannah

Oct 28, 2014
    I just remember that they didn't even describe the color of Maul saber and details such as that...the Anakin test by the Jedi council better conveyed the "fear" of losing his attachment to his mother..that was cool...

Do any of the OT novels have deleted scenes?

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There was a scene just prior to the Battle of Yavin when someone waxes nostalgic about Anakin's skill and tells Luke that if he has half of it, the Alliance will be fine in the battle.

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    slightly better for the ot, and ligt years better for the pt, imo.

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Battle of Yavin had 2 runs made by Luke, Biggs and Wedge.

Sarge likes this.
  25. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Didn't the novel also have that line from Dodonna saying how there wouldn't be any time left for a third run?