main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Are the novelizations of the original trilogy better than the movies?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Zannah, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Read the original SW novelization. The answers you look for, are there.

2. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
  3. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
  4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    12 gauge just killed the ducks last night

5. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Is that truly relevant? What does the colour of his lightsaber add to the story? Let's be honest, if you're reading the novel, you know who Darth Maul is and what colour his saber is.

6. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    The Star Wars novelization is interesting as it shows how much Lucas changed the story as he went along.
    Empire had the cool training sequences like the bar Luke had to cut and a scene where Luke does the training remote and Yoda smiles and a bunch more rise up. Would have made a cool scene in the film.
    Jedi gave the internal thoughts to people which fleshed out some of the actions.

Phantom Meance did one thing right. The film completely neglects to say who the Sith are and why they are extinct. Its the biggest flaw of the film IMO.

darklordoftech likes this.
  7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    The biggest flaw of the film? C'mon.

You leave TPM knowing that the Sith are an organisation of dark siders the Jedi thought they wiped out a millennium before the film, but who have survived to the present day by hiding. That is literally all the relevant information. :p

Dante1120 likes this.
  8. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I still have my old paperback copies of the OT novelizations, and I've lost track of how many times I've read through them. In the days before affordable home video, this was how I could relive the movies. (Well, them, the Marvel comics, and my "Story of STAR WARS" LP.) Great stuff.

I haven't read the PT novelizations as much. I didn't like the ROTS novelization, as it short-circuits Ani's motivation (making him seem more insane than power-hungry) and it unforgivably directly translates Artoo's dialogue. And the "This is how it feels to be..." gets old real fast.

I'd recommend the radio dramas, for the different way it approaches the material.

COMPNOR likes this.
  9. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    Not Really, no. Too many continuity issues.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    They all have their merits: ANH mentions ducks. ESB has Luke getting miffed at training drones calling them "Little blasters!" I believe. and the ROTJ novel is moody as all hell and very cool, the perspective of Vader and the Emperor is interesting to see. But, as to the OP question, nah, I love the movies more. But the novelizations are fun.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    In the ROTJ novel, I did like the Emperor remembering Yoda. Perfect foreshadowing of his duel with Yoda in ROTS.

BigAl6ft6 and darklordoftech like this.
  12. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The entire RotJ novelization, well at least the Emperor remembering Yoda and numerous the details surrounding Vader, are all surprisingly accurate foreshadowing for RotS and even AotC to a certain extent.