main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are the One Sith really so mediocre?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darthsolus, Feb 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    LOL. Yeah, with a plan like that... there is no middle ground. Epic is right, and for either outcome.

2. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    And that, IMHO, is another point in favor of the whole tarnished prophecy point. You do the movies and the EU each a disservice. On the one hand, you can say that the movies are ruined because the Sith return. On the other, you can say that it's all right -- Krayt and co. are not nearly as badass, powerful, or skilled as Palpatine and co. which does nothing but make them look lame.

There were many ways in which Legacy could respect the plot of the movies -- which is far more essential and important than its own story -- while still coming up with something spectacular in its own right.

I feel that it has not done so, though not necessarily because of the prophecy.

3. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Not really. Just because you say someone isn't nearly as badass as Palpatine doesn't mean they're weak.

4. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    That is true..

5. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    Palpatine was the greatest threat that ever has existed or will exist. So great that his coming caused the Force to unbalance, and the Force responded by creating the Chosen One to destroy him. It doesn't diminish Krayt's order to be second to that. Krayt's order can still be a threat on the same level as Revan's or the Sith Emperor's.

6. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    And there you have it.

7. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    Obviously, and I'm not saying that they have to be. Luke Skywalker's Jedi order is clearly not as powerful or as influential as the old Jedi order. But if it's a preconceived notion that the Sith are neutered entirely as a result of the Chosen One prophecy, that Palpatine was a once in a... um... existence? Sith and that he's the highest point that can be achieved, the subsequent villains look flaccid.

It's not about outdoing the things that came before, and I would agree that Palpatine is the greatest Sith in canon, but you want to try to strike new ground. It's a lot like Journey carrying on without Steve Perry; they have a right to continue and most people are glad they did, but you don't want them trapped in Perry's shadow.

8. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Palpatine was arguably the greatest single Sith Lord, ever.
    But Krayt's Sith, is quite powerful as a group.

Different methods for the same end.

9. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Did you expect them to be as strong or influential as a 10,000 member order in a span of a several decades? They are powerful and smart enough for a new order of Jedi.

10. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    Actually, the EU gives strong evidence that man to man Luke's Jedi are stronger than the Old Order. Consider Anakin and Tahiri: at the beginning of the Yuuzhan Vong War Anakin is considered nearly a Knight, and Tahiri follows him a year later. By the time of Myrkr they've had six years of training and are capable of being effective frontline fighters without the need for supervision or constant guidance. I doubt that many 16-19-year-old Padawans were capable of the same during the Clone Wars.

11. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Is Tano the only Padawan that the Clones call sir? Is she the only Padawan to lead Clones into battle, or fly a starfighter in combat? I'm not so sure...

12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    [image=http://www.skool.us/files/new/dec/emo_philips_old.jpg]
    Sorry, couldn't resist [face_mischief]

Yes, the Legacy-era Jedi are so lame that they got utterly disorganized and wiped out in the post-Sith/Imperial War's version of Order 66...

Oh wait...

13. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    So... is Emo Philips a Sith, or Jedi?
    :p

14. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    They called Anakin sir when he was still a Padawan, like they do with any other Padawan or Jedi during the war.

15. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Right. That's my point, Rummy.
    Troopers were answering to Jedi-kids during the CW.

Long before Luke and Tihiri were running around.

16. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    Not to Disrespect the One Sith or anything, I do agree that one of the problems of the One Sith is that they are working in a group..

17. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    Yes, because Luke's order numbers in the tens of thousands, possesses unimaginable political influence and a wealth of Force-related knowledge, and has survived twenty five thousand years of turmoil, war, and conflict (or if you want strict conservative numbers, a millennium)...

Oh wait...

I obviously struck a nerve with you, and I apologize for doing so, but your sarcasm is misplaced.

18. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Sarcasm is what we do around here. You'll get used to it..

19. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    What would Lando do about ur new avatar?

20. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    Sarcasm's fine; as you can see, I responded in kind.

But that doesn't mean it can't be misplaced... the old Jedi Order was far larger, had a greater influence on galactic politics, and a far greater base of Force related knowledge and formal discipline.

Not that Luke's order is "lame" or anything.

21. Shadojoker

Shadojoker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    I'm sorry its NOT a problem but its their strength...alot reason why i feel this order survives longer than Bane's Sith..With Two Sith Lords, there was always a possibility that both of them could be killed at the same time...

such as if Sidious & Dooku dueled w/Obi-wan,Anakin & Yoda in one of the many "Episode II" rough/fan drafts(i believe)..if the Jedi won..the Sith order woulda been erased..with the One Sith..

With Krayt being dead, you have an endless possibilities of successors to the throne..Wyyyrlock, Maladi, Stryfe, Nihl etc..all worthy to lead an army against the Jedi..So I love it..and its a different concept from the Bane Sith which is cool as heck!
    Point 1 - One Sith
    Points 0 - This thread

Shadojoker

22. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I wonder if the Jedi kill Wyyrlok's daughter, or if she's the one who comes in and saves Nihl and Stryfe?
    Or will the "knocked unconscious" card get played with her?

23. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Nothing.. It was time to switch to a new one for a bit.

24. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Need to find Windu a decent cigar.:p

25. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Any time the Sith gather, they feud. Its their nature. I doubt that the Sith could rule for very long regardless of their schemes. They will always turn on each other in the end.

I believe that the Sith are not meant to rule, but are simply Chaos incarnate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.