Are the Prequels too flashly?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Whizkid, Apr 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bazinga'd, heels1785
  1. Whizkid Jedi Master

star 4
    Now, I understand that some CGI must be used in making modern sci-fi/action movies. But GL made TPM & AOTC seem like video games. I liked how he handled CGI in the Special Editions alot better. The computer effects never overshadowed the characters or set. The one thing that made the OT so great was how you could imagine yourself in every scene of the movie. With the prequels, and especially AOTC, it is nearly impossible to do this. This is the one reason I still prefer the OT

Strilo edit: We already have threads where this can be discussed.
  2. BleepsSweepsCreeps Jedi Knight

star 1
    To a degree.

I feel that if GL wanted to utilize these new effects, than he should have made an entirely new trilogy altogether set way after ROTJ.
  3. Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    i think it is a fact that the pt is flooded with to much cgi. it almost becomes...to a degree, fake
  4. The_General_Grievous Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow i wish video games look as good as the CGI in th prequels
  5. General_Dodonna Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm not sure I understand your definition of the term flashy. Are you implying that the look of the films is too polished and clean? Are you suggesting that the CGI and special effects detract from the film experience rather than enhance it?

I don't have an answer to the second question, but as to the first I think that Lucas is intentionally making the locales in these films look cleaner, more lush, more vibrant than the locales of the original films (with the notable exception of Tatooine). Contrast the Tantive IV with the Nubian shuttle. The look of the Tantive IV is certainly clean, but it's also sterile, boring, and crude. In the days of the Republic, technology enhanced societies and became a type of art. Under the Imperial Empire, society became constrained, grittier, more sterile.

The contrast between Prequel technology and Original Trilogy technology is striking and intentional.

I must add though that I feel the cleaner look of AOTC (due to its being shot in digital) was distracting the first few times I watched the film. But it's also an interesting choice, because it takes away the dream-like quality of 35mm film (used for TPM), and makes everything cleaner, brighter, more realistic. As the veil hiding the identity of the Sith begins to slip away, that dream of the Republic becomes shattered. What was so other-worldly now becomes horribly, terrifyingly real.
  6. Guy DuBlanc Jedi Knight

star 2
    I think SW is, in general, "flashy." I say that as an observation, not a criticism.

Lucas likes to have spaceships zoom by the screen really quick, huge explosions, epic battling.

ANH in 1977 was flash. The Battle of Yavin was a video game, it was a flight simulator, and really fast one at that.

The speeder bike scene in ROTJ was pure flash. That was a video game too. And it was great.

Lucas likes speed. He likes race cars and used to race them when he was young. Check out the car chase in THX-1138 as early proof. The pod race and the chase through Coruscant in AOTC are just new versions of what Lucas has been doing his whole career.

Moderators: Bazinga'd, heels1785
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.