main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Are the rumours part of a concerted disinformation plan set up by JJ and Disney?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jcuk, Jan 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red_Leader_313

Red_Leader_313 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 30, 2014
    I agree with the "controlled leak" idea, and also the earlier observation that so much of what we "know" is based on concept art and may be unrelated to the final film. I think it's safe to assume that the producers are entirely aware of the fan community and recognize the need to offer us crumbs of information to fuel our ongoing discussions.

I would imagine that, not only is the art/info that we have seen part of a controlled leak, but that there is a coordinated calendar designating when certain pieces of info are allowed to go public. I used to work with a handful of relatively obscure recording artists, and even on that minuscule level, the management team timed out when we would leak songs and information. The perception of exclusivity, the notion that we're seeing stuff that we're not supposed to, is part of the thrill. So when I would email a new song to a blogger or website, I'd always be instructed to stress how much trouble I could get in for sharing it.

And Star Wars is on an infinitely larger scale. These guys aren't sharing anything without permission. Their jobs depend on it, which makes it so much more thrilling when we actually do get a piece of information.

Echo Base, TK327 and Jcuk like this.
  2. ArchStanton1862

ArchStanton1862 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2014
    I think people give J.J. waaay too much credit and crazy fans not enough. While I wouldn't be surprised to find that some of the leaks were intentional it's far too much to assume that every rumor has its origins in his underground lair. I expect his disinformation campaign to be of a much more basic sort. You know how Lucas didn't tell any of the cast or crew but Hamill what Vader was really saying to Luke (Hint: It wasn't Obi-Wan killed your father)? That's the sort of thing I expect. Not so much an intentional leak as a safety net to allow people involved in the production to leak away to their heart's content without endangering the plot. Which means that some of these ideas we're hearing might indeed be part of a disinformation campaign, only we're not its primary targets. If he's giving different stories to different people then it'll be real easy to figure out who's doing the leaking. And if it gets the fans excited and talking then Hey! bonus.

-Jedi Joe- and sterling3763 like this.
  3. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Why would they bother with disinformation when we wouldn't believe JJ if he posted the entire script in here but we will believe jokers like spoiler man if we like the sound of the rumours? We don't even know much anyway, which is due to the huge amounts of secrecy.

4. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    JJ was actually George Lucas this entire time.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    "The whole movie is one big hoax!" ~ Film Critic Ollie

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  6. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    George Lucas is a Time Lord who regenerated into JJ Abrams.

7. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    There is no spoon.

Satipo likes this.
  8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    There is no Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  9. Rickern

Rickern Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Now that would be Horror Beyond Imagination [face_hypnotized]

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I would gladly forego the joy of new Star Wars in order to witness Lucas troll his haters at such a monumental level. This is how your fandom dies... with my thunderous applause.

11. Darth Schlotkin

Darth Schlotkin Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 6, 2015
    Do you know the old Klingon proverb that tells us a half truth is a complete lie?

12. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    Could be disinformation but you think they'd come up with a better lie than "Kira" finding Luke's severed hand on Tatooine. That made me lol irl

13. sterling3763

sterling3763 Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Continued from the John Boyega thread:

Lets take this in two parts. First, am I 100% sure about the rumors we've heard from MSW or Star Wars Underground? Of course not. But do I think some (maybe most) are more likely true than not? Absolutely. I don't think we have to disregard any rumor unless we're absolutely 100% sure it's true. If that's the case, we can shut this board down and just have the No Spoilers Allowed one. We can all discuss only the officially released information and that's that. This shouldn't be an all or nothing proposition.

Second, we do know some things about the plot. You seem to think that we don't know any more than what was show in the teaser. But we allegedly know a lot about the first Act of the movie and a fair bit about the state of the galaxy we things begin. A few of those things include: Luke's disappearance decades ago, a possible Star Destroyer crash early on scattering ruins and antiques, Finn deserting and getting captured, Rey saving Finn and Poe, Rey and Finn dueling Kylo, Rey getting captured by Kylo, Luke saving the day in a bad way, etc. We have heard rumors about the plot. You can dispute their accuracy but not their existence.

14. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    We Do know some things about the plot. That's definitive. Closely followed by, But we ALLEGEDLY know a lot about the first act. So what parts DO you unequivocally know? And what parts do you ALLEGEDLY know? It's all very confused sterling3763

15. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    I think its like a jigsaw that has fallen in the bin, we have bits which are part of the jigsaw but we cannot match them up and occasionally we all get excited over a piece which has nothing to do with jigsaw itself or we have placed it in the wrong part of the picture.....

Does that make sense? :p

16. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    I think the fact that we didn't even know characters' names until they were officially released shows how tightly this is being controlled. Making Star Wars mainly works from concept art, some of which, by his own admission is very old and the designs may or may not be in the film. He then, again by his own admission, draws conjecture on what he has seen. Obviously, the more art he sees, the more accurate a picture he can build up but who knows how many leaks are deliberate.

The fact we know virtually nothing about the roles or even appearance of Leia or Han at this stage and have only the vaguest imaginable information about a big star like Max von Sydow further shows how tightly controlled this is.

Jcuk, starocean90 and mavjade like this.
  17. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    JJ may or may not be misinforming us, but I think the real disinformer at this stage is George. Saying that he knows nothing of the film is complete bogus (when we know from his son Jett Lucas that he was constantly talking to JJ around the time, or after, Michael Arndt left) and saying that his story was thrown out was done in order to prevent the media from asking him more and more Star Wars questions. Or at the very least, I hope he is. Otherwise, my interest for seeing this film is basically negative, not even zero.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. The_Fett_Brothers

The_Fett_Brothers Jedi Master

Jun 9, 2005
    Why haven't we seen anything of Mark, Carrie, or Harrison? Why don't we know more about their character arcs? Because everybody and their brother wants to see them and know what happens. The best way for JJ Binks to keep anticipation at a fever pitch for this movie is to keep everyone guessing for as long as possible.

19. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    I wonder how long he will be able to keep the secrecy since Disney, I imagine, will want to start up their juggernaut of a marketing campaign. Perhaps after the first full trailer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.