main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Are the Sith as a concept dead in the wars?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Vidianefficiency, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    It seems that Kylo Ren belongs to this organization called "Knights of Ren" so he is not defining himself as a sith but more like a part of a new generation of dark-force users- Snoke however is not calling himself knight of Ren so if he considers himself "sith" or something else is yet to be seen. He also doesn't use term Emperor but Supreme leader- what ever is the real difference. Still calling these guys sith is not such a big mistake if mistake at all. They are pretty much same anyways.

2. AllAboutThatMace

AllAboutThatMace Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 2, 2014
    Snoke as a secret sith is kinda plausible, but I hope he isn't because I think its better for the saga if Luke/Vader really did destroy the sith for good at the end of RotJ. Thats not to say bad people (and force users) won't continue to exist, but the actual Sith as a faction met their end when Luke redeemed Vader and Palpatine went tumbling down that shaft.

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Which one is the new canon one? I always forget but Moraband sounds better.

4. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I think he could be a sith, but I'm on the fence on the Plagueis theory.

5. Zenwalker

Dec 18, 2015
    To me, the Sith are the greatest darksiders in the galaxy. They are as much a part of the mythology as the Jedi. It stands to reason that they are still a major player. That's why I believe Snoke could be the new Sith master.

6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Maybe this is another sect of Sith owing to a different lineage than the Darth one?

Zenwalker likes this.
  7. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Maybe Ren is the title? There are mentioned Knights of Ren. So instead of Darth so and so it would be name and then Ren. Kylo Ren. Snoke Ren. :p

Maybe Snoke is one of the original Sith that predates the Darth Bane rule of two lineage?

It is canon that there were sith who all fought one another and there was no rule of two then. The Knights of Ren are shown in flashback or vision as a group, not Master and Apprentice.

It's possible these guys, Kylo, etc, are disciples of an older Sith lineage and Snoke is one of those.

Zenwalker likes this.
  8. Zenwalker

Dec 18, 2015
    I believe Abrams did confirm the Ren title thing, but I find it curious that Kylo Ren has the title but Snoke has not used the title thus far. It does parallel Palpatine/Vader though. We never heard Palpatine referred to as Darth Sidious until The Phantom Menace. He was only The Emperor.
    Just a theory.

ShaneP likes this.
  9. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Well, maybe Luke did destroy that Sith then in ROTJ, but just the Darth line? And maybe this new sith do things pretty differently than what we've come to know?

Just a guess.

Zenwalker likes this.
  10. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    According to the visual dictionary:

"Kylo Ren is no Jedi nor is he a Sith. He is the archetype of a new generation of dark side users that have emerged to fill the void left by the Sith's demise."

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    If he was not trained by a Sith then he is no Sith just a darksider.

12. Aeneas 1138

Aeneas 1138 Jedi Knight star 1

May 1, 2014
    I would hope that the Sith are dead. The primary story of Star Wars - Anakin Skywalker's fall and redemption - is over now. This trilogy is really about cleaning up the mess he left. Anakin Skywalker destroyed Darth Vader the instant he decided to return to the Light, and he destroyed Darth Sidious shortly thereafter. It would rather cheapen and undermine his sacrifice and his accomplishments as the Chosen One if the Sith survived.

darklordoftech and alucasfinch like this.
  13. Sloth

Sloth Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jul 8, 1998
    I have to be completely honest here. I think JJ pulled down his pants and took a big dump on all the existing mythology. He acted like everything in the prequels did not even exist.

14. Vidianefficiency

Vidianefficiency Jedi Master star 1

Feb 20, 2015
    I think he actually went as far as confessing that he only considered the OT as canon for the purposes of this movie. So a lot of mythology would be missing.

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk

15. AdamDemamp

AdamDemamp Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2015

Why name yourself Emperor Palpatine or Count Dooku instead of Darth Sidious or Tyranus?
    The Sith might be dead, they might not be. I'm pretty indifferent, but keep in mind Sidious was Emperor Palpatine- even Vader addressed him as "The Emperor".

16. AdamDemamp

Apr 8, 2015

No he really didn't. How relevant are they to TFA though? Episode III was 54 years ago, and Phantom Menace was 67. He gave a nod to the Clone army and Maz mentioned the Sith. Given everything in Canon I don't really see how he "took a dump on them", besides returning to a more OT style environment and story pace?

17. Aeneas 1138

May 1, 2014
    Indeed, he was quite blunt about wanting to avoid the prequels. There is an article in my Sunday newspaper, derived from The Times, in which he is quoted as saying that, "The fundamental thing was what do we want people to feel. And the answer was that I wanted people to feel the magic of what Star Wars was .... To me, it was that feeling that I had not felt since I saw the original trilogy and I thought if there was any way to be part of bringing that back, it would be incredible".

That is quite the slight to George (and to those of us who actually enjoyed the prequels), I think.

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Actually things from the Prequels were mentioned when needed for instance the Sith are mentioned and so is the Clone Army.

19. Vidianefficiency

Feb 20, 2015
    “We tried to sit down and ask ourselves, ‘what feels right?’” Abrams said. “The only real mandate we had was what delights us. We treated the films, especially 4, 5, and 6, we treated those as canon.”

Those were JJ's exact words....

20. Aeneas 1138

May 1, 2014
    Although saying 'especially' does mean he considers the PT canon, I still find that remarkable. He seems to think the die-hard PT-bashers represent the broader fandom and the film-going public.

21. AdamDemamp

Apr 8, 2015

Yeah, especially, not exclusively. JJ Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan didn't have the authority to overwrite the prequels, they just drew more upon the OT- which frankly they should since, again Episode III was now an entire trilogy prior. I still don't see how that's taking a dump on anything.

22. AdamDemamp

Apr 8, 2015

Not the "bashers" but the PT wasn't the same type of hit as the OT with the public, critical figures and blu-ray sales show they just aren't as in demand. The thing is PT defenders don't hate the OT, so it makes more sense to make a film in the style of the OT, since that will please everyone. I'm not going to let this digress into a PT vs. OT and now ST argument.

23. Vidianefficiency

Feb 20, 2015
    Agree we don't need to go down the rabbit hole of PT,OT,ST...I was trying to understand and initiate discussion on why certain concepts like the sith no longer seem to be at the forefront like they used to be.

It could be as something simple as the sith were not known by the general public in the galaxy and hence it's a term not known by anyone anymore. Maybe when we see more face to face discussions between ren and plagueis will we hear more terminology like the sith

24. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    On my end, I want the Knights of Ren to be Lawful Evil Dark Siders versus Chaotic and Neutral Evil Sith. The Sith are basically crazy pants super-Objectivists in they advocate selfishness above all other things with a religious fervor. I'd like the Knights of Ren to be a group which basically is a Vader-worshiping cult that has this insane idea that he was actually all about the fascism and "bringing order to the galaxy."

They'd be, essentially, the Imperial Academy under Brakiss.

Snoke even compliments Kylo on the fact he's a product of light and dark.

Voltron64 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.