main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are the Sith aware of the Etymology of their "Darth" names?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Non_Sequitur, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    To be honest I never saw much of a difference between the official meaning and the real world etymology. Killing and battling are not unrelated, so I always figured the "battle of darkness" meaning was a natural translation given the words real roots. They just made it a bit more spiffy than just saying "it means to kill" which is a bit droll when put plainly.

2. Non_Sequitur

Non_Sequitur Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2009
    LOL. /thread. I'm only half serious about this stuff. It was just a funny question that popped into my after lurking in the "was Maul a true rule of two Sith"

But seriously, to me, the idea that normal people saw Palps rising through the ranks of the Senate and taking total control of an entire galactic civilization is far more terrifying than dressing up like Robert Smith. Well...actually I'd have to think about that a bit more.

3. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    So what's the organization of the One Sith? A bit of both? Krayt picked his own name, Wyyrlok is hereditary, but what about those born Sith (Talon) against those who weren't (Nihl)?

Presumably Talon is named as such as she was always intended be the Hand (claw) of the (Kryat) dragon, and I'd like to think Nihl was never going to get a name that fully his anyway - since Nihilus came first - to compliment his inferiority complex. ;)

4. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    I'm still waiting for someone to come up with Darth Satanus :rolleyes:

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I'd take that over Darth Ramage...[face_sick] maybe...

6. DarthAdamentum

DarthAdamentum Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 28, 2008
    it is obvious Ramage came from the word rummage... meaning to search or find something... suits him actually since the bio of him says he is a Sith scientist... of Bane's lineage.

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Ramage = Wild.

So as a Sith Lord whose scientific discovery drove Sith into a rage which boosted their power...

It makes perfect sense.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I guess I'd go with "wild" over "warbling of birds in trees"...:p

9. DarthAdamentum

Jan 28, 2008
    hey how about my interp.?

10. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    caer = caido = caedus

It's that simple.

Anyway, I chose this screen name to mean "spider". Because that's what the Sith are like.

11. DarthAdamentum

Jan 28, 2008
    ???

12. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I assume that's what he's referring to.

13. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Nay. In Classical Latin C is always hard (except when functioning as G, i.e. Gaius).* Unless we're talking Vulgar/post-Roman Late Latin as the Romance languages started to diverge, or about Ecclesiastical Latin--but even there it had the CH sound, so you'd have "chide us." And, as you noted, even allowing C, the vowel sound would be wrong for "sadist" (the namesake of which is actually the Marquis de Sade).

What you should get is "k-eye-dus." (Two syllables, although written out that way it kind of looks like three; I can't think of a better way to hyphenate it though and I'm not going to attempt International Phonetic Alphabet at 5:30 in the morning. :p)

*Latin had no K (except for a very few Greek loanwords) so C functioned for K and G as well. If you think about it, there's not much difference between the K and G sounds except your tongue's position in the back of your mouth. In Western Europe the soft C ("ch") devolved to be identical with S so if you think even more about it, in English C is quite useless since its functions could be filled by K and S, which always bugged me. :-B

14. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Ah yes, you're right. I was mixing up whether C was always hard or soft... knew it was one or the other. [face_blush]

Alas, that's what happens when I haven't touched Latin for... sheesh... what must it be... nine years? Something like that. But, yeah, K-eye-dus sounds right, as akin to k-eye-do or k-eye-dare-ey (or however the heck you'd phoneticise -ere :p).

15. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    No worries ... Latin is one of my majors so this stuff is real fresh on my mind. (Even fleeing here, I can't get away from it! :p)

Caedere is third conjugation, short e, so "K-EYE-der-ey", emphasis on first syllable. I'll shut up now. :D

16. DarthAdamentum

Jan 28, 2008
    go figure. thanx Zor! he was referring to a Native tribe. Doesnt it sound much like Darth Cognus species then? which is the Iktochi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.