1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Melbourne (10th-12th April), Gold Coast (17th-19th April)

Oz Comic Con: Perth (11th-12 April), Adelaide (18th-19th April)

Oceania Are the Stormtrooper in the Original Trilogy clones?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Count_Drew-ku, Jun 4, 2002.

?

Are the Stormtrooper in the Original Trilogy clones?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
No, because the EU is canon. 1 vote(s) 4.3%
Yes, but not all of them, some are conscripts. 13 vote(s) 56.5%
Yes, All of them, otherwise what was the point behind Episode 2? 9 vote(s) 39.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    Very true, Deagle_Raa. ;)

That brings up an interesting point...if the cloning facilities still exist in ANH, why hasn't someone else found out how to clone people and created their OWN clone army? Let's face it, the Empire ain't that good at keeping secrets. I think the cloning facilities will be destroyed in Ep3 - or perhaps Kamino will be used as a test for the Death Star! :eek: - and we won't see many more clones. If you go by the EU, the Emperor kept his own private cloning facilities to clone himself plus a few other unlucky souls.

On second thought, the idea of the DS being used against Kamino is unlikely...completely wrong timeframe for it if the Clone Wars is to end in Ep3. Still, I think we'll see the cloning facilities get destroyed in Ep3.
  2. stinrab Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Accents aren't genetic, are they? I always thought that they were environmental. After Jango dies, I can't see how the clonetroopers would have a kiwi accent influence. Afterall, most stormies in the OT seem to be surrounded by British officers (hence, their British accents)

Case in point: Does Boba Fett retain a kiwi accent? No, because he's probably been hanging around a bunch of Brits since his dad died.

Therefore, all stormtroopers are clones

Thank you, and goodnight :)
  3. Syrix_Kahl Jedi Master

star 4
    True. Can't argue with that. ;)

I've always thought Stormtroopers were clones.

In fact I was totally amazed to see that the Clones were actually on the good guys team in AOTC. :)
  4. wedge3210 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Wouldn't the clones just be hanging out with each other though?

And if the accent wasn't genetic (which it isn't in real life) then why is it in AOTC? I doubt that Fett would've trained each one individually.

I just think the accent is a gimic for the prequels and while I do agree that loads would be clones in the originals, I just get the feeling that the enslavement of worlds would've drawn more troops for the Empire.
  5. slaveone_2 Force Ghost

star 5
    I remember reading somewhere that Clones were banned by the republic or something like that.
  6. Jedi_Master_Damir Jedi Master

star 4
    or perhaps Kamino will be used as a test for the Death Star!

I thought that the first time the DS was used was in ANH when they destroyed Alderaan.

"It's time to test the true power of this station" or something like that
  7. Stunt_Monkey Jedi Knight

star 3
    Maybe Kamino was just a test station for a minor weaponry of the death star and its true power wasnt unleashed till ANH.....
  8. TheOzhaggis Force Ghost

star 5

I always wondered ... if the stormtroopers were clones (people have been saying it for years before the prequels) then how come no-one mentions it in the original trilogy?

For example - in ANH, when the falcon is dragged into the death star, and they lure the troopers inside and take their uniforms ... wouldn't they have said something like, "Wow - twins - what's the odds of that?"

Oh well
  9. stinrab Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Why wouldn't the characters in the OT point it out?

Because they already knew they were clones. It'd be like

"Hey, clones!"
    "Uhm, duh!"
  10. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    I never assumed that the stormie were clones since I'd always just assumed that the clone wars were long gone. Along those lines, I'd figured that clone armies were just as much a thing of the past as droid armies. I don't have any evidence to back that up. I just don't think it's likely that all the empire's armies were still made up of clones.
    Getting that many troops wouldn't be a problem IMHO since the population of the Empire would presumably be huge. In an empire of 1000s of worlds I don't think it would be hard to find enough to man their ships. As for getting that many troops to actually fight for them, Hitler didn't find it hard to get a lot of soldiers. I don't think there's really enough info for me to say that there were or weren't clones so I'll be content to wait for EP3 to settle the matter, if it does.
    By the way, was anyone else disappointed that the clone army didn't start the battle with a haka?
  11. JBMW Jedi Knight

star 1
    Rofl! Now THAT would have been hilarious. Cept it would've given all the droids plenty of time to krush, keel and destroy the surrounded jedi while the clones were prancing around trying to look mean in goggle-masks.
  12. Patlabor Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Total Number of Enemies shot in the films.

Stormtroopers - Below 10
    Clonetroopers - Lots and lots of droids.

So assuming that Stormtroopers are people, why do the suck so badly? Why would Palpy get rid of Clones who can shoot for humans who cant? ?[face_plain]

13. Jedi_Master_Damir Jedi Master

star 4
    Well just listen to this, each Star Destroyer holds about 30,000 crew plus around 9,000 stormtroopers. Around the fall of the Empire, Palpy had around 25,000 Star Destroyers. Lets say that all of them weren't filled and stuff so we'll say they had 20,000. Now that means it takes around 180 million stormtroopers just to fill the SDs and plus so much more on other post or planets. Even if the empire had thousands of planets, it's still hell of alot of people to get and in a short amount of time, the empire did only last around 20 years or so. Although I'm still not sure if stormtroopers are clones and maybe what I said is just another plot hole in SW... I dont know, I'll wait for ep3 and hopefully find out.
  14. Ghost_of_Caesar Jedi Master

star 4
    Maybe they do it for sentient species who might actually understand the concept of being scared stiff, or falling over and laughing so hard that the clonetroopers could be so ridiculous.
  15. Stunt_Monkey Jedi Knight

star 3
    Maybe the cloning organisation grew....
    And only under the empires permission was any cloning possible
  16. TheOzhaggis Force Ghost

star 5
    Clones in E2: selfless soldiers programmed to obey orders.

Troopers in ANH: guys who stand around having idle conversations while old men sneak past them.

The same?

Hmmmmmmm.

Not enough chlorine in the gene pool?

Or: clones were made from Jango, maybe the troopers were made from Boba? the guy gets taken out by a blind man?

Oh well.
  17. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    One thing that really complicates the discussion is whether or not to include EU in the discussion. For instance, quoting numbers of star destroyers in the empire etc is quoting EU, since the movies never give any clear indication of just how big the empire is. Yet according to the EU, stormtroopers weren't clones (except for in a few unusual cases).
  18. Count_Drew-ku Jedi Youngling

star 2
    No, according to the EU there's more Emperor and mad jedi clones that stormtrooper ones :p
  19. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    Not to mention the emperor's illegitimate grandson. And his top secret sith nerf. And his...
  20. Tayschrenn Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey, stop dissin' the EU :p

Tay
  21. TheOzhaggis Force Ghost

star 5

Yeah - leave the EU alone.

It has enough problems.

:D
  22. Count_Drew-ku Jedi Youngling

star 2
    [face_laugh]

EDIT: seriously though, let's not turn this into another EU bashfest, the movie forum's full of them.

Anyone else got input on the subject, either for or against them being clones?

I have to say, for the most part a lot of intelligent discussion has gone on here, post something like this in the movie forums and it quickly gets turned into a canon debate within 3 posts.

Has anyone read or heard the radio dramas? Do they say anything?

Not that they have any bearing on the movies of course :D
  23. Teknobabel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  24. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    I know it's a little OT, but does anyone know where I could get the radio dramas from? CD, MP3, whatever.
  25. TheOzhaggis Force Ghost

star 5

Try your local library?

My local has most of them on CD, as well as the SE videos on VHS.

(And it's not even that big a library.)

Back to the topic: I remember someone mentioning that in the EU, the stormtroopers are a mix of clones and civilians - that civilians are recruited but segregated from 'the others' in different barracks, etc.

Who knows?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.