main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Are the Stormtrooper in the Original Trilogy clones?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Count_Drew-ku, Jun 4, 2002.

?

Are the Stormtrooper in the Original Trilogy clones?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. No, because the EU is canon.

4.3%
  2. Yes, but not all of them, some are conscripts.

56.5%
  3. Yes, All of them, otherwise what was the point behind Episode 2?

39.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Count_Drew-ku

Count_Drew-ku Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2002
    Who knows?

Lucas ;)

2. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    This TF.N Article from about a month ago was an interesting little read. I remember thinking from childhood they were clones, but it wasn't until I saw this article that the idea came back to me.

I still think they have some draftee/volunteers among them though.

3. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
  4. Count_Drew-ku

May 25, 2002
    Just read that link, funny to see ppl like Bib Fortuna Twi'ilek unable to accept the words out of George's own mouth :)

5. Count_Drew-ku

May 25, 2002
    GL: "I always knew that stormtroopers were clones."

The final word on the matter then I believe...

6. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Yeah. Sounds official. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing the entire article.

BFT had a go at me a while back for reading the TPM novel and drawing clues from it that happened in AOTC. Read chapter 6 if you get a spare 5 minutes, particularly the last few pages.

7. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    diff voices do not mean they could not be clones, if i grew up in america (preish the thought) i'd grow up with a american accent. and this is just amongst one planet

in starwars with their millions of planets, the amount of diff accents would be ginormous

some guy also pointed out diff graivty would account for height differences

all correct, if anyone starts going on about cloning, i'd be wanting to know what qualifications they had so i'd know whether to listen or start laughing. esp with all this talk about the tassie tiger coming up again

8. Count_Drew-ku

May 25, 2002
    I saw him doing that, he does provide cheap entertainment...

And yeah, I will check out that chapter, as soon as I get the book back from the person I lent it to yesterday, any chance of a quick excerpt? :)

9. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    My only problem with that accent theory thing, is that if it's the reason why the troops don't have the accent in the OT, then why do they have it in AOTC? They weren't brought up around Fett in the movie.

The accents are just a gimick for the story. I'm going to bet that if he wants them to be clones throughout the saga, he'll dub their voices over. It also makes that, "little short for a stormtrooper" a bit better.

But why didn't the countless people passing them notice it? Oh well...

I was going to make excerpts for that thread I made, but they're rather large chunks, so I just gave the jist of it.

10. Count_Drew-ku

May 25, 2002
    Righto, I'll check it out when I get the book back in a few days,

I've only just started reading the EP2 novel, but I've heard it says something about the clones we see in AotC being trained by Jango?
    Anyway, the accent thing doesn't bother me too much, anyone's voice will sound different depending on where they're raised, what environment they've been living in, etc...

11. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    I can't recall anything like that in the book. They kept him on Kamino as a handy way to get DNA to make the clones and they have that in detail. But I think the main reason he stayed there was for the peace and quiet.

He'd have no time for his regular job if he had to train a million kids.

12. slaveone_2

slaveone_2 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 1, 2001
    Also, it would be a good idea to hang around on Kamino.

What better protection in the galaxy than having a army of Clonetroopers right next door to you?

13. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

I'm thinking George might fix up these problems in his final ultra edition dvds?

Hopefully get IM to do that emperor spot in ESB, too. That's always bugged me.

(And don't start going on about the emperor and palps being different people. :p)

Oh well.

14. Count_Drew-ku

May 25, 2002
    And don't start going on about the emperor and palps being different people.

Why would we? ;)
    They aren't different ppl, the back of the VHS copy of the film says they are the same, the epilogue of the TPM novel says that Sidious is on Naboo at the end before Qui-Gon's funeral, the scene with Maul & Sidious on Coruscant is outside on the balcony of Palpatine's apartment, and Rick McCallum has said: "There are still people who thinkk they aren't the same person, why they think this, I don't know."

And of course, they're both played by the same actor who played the Emperor in RotJ ;)

Still, ppl get stuck on ideas and don't like to back down, not even if George Lucas says something like he always intended for the Stormies to be clones :p

15. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I guess I can stand stormies being clones...GL's backed down on his word before though, so I wouldn't stake my life on it. ;)

As for Palpy not being Sidious/Emperor...anyone who doesn't think that is...well I won't go any further. :p

16. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    the epilogue of the TPM novel says that Sidious is on Naboo at the end before Qui-Gon's funeral

It actually says he's overlooking a city. But Theed is obviously implied. And I'm sure it was after the funueral.

17. Count_Drew-ku

May 25, 2002
    Well, it's been about 3 years since I read it, but you know what I mean.

Also, on the voice thing, yes they would have the accents of the ppl they are around when they grow up, and I can't speak for any of the other Kaminoans, but the woman who voices Taun We, Rena Owen (Click for her IMDB file) is a Maouri also, so no reason they couldn't just be picking the accent up from the Kaminoans.
    In fact, she is the woman who played Temuera Morrison's (Jango Fett) wife in Once were Warriors.

Now I'm curious about that cloning process ;)

18. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

Rena Owen did Taun We?

And here I thought it was Chris Truswell...

As for Palps/Sidious, let me put it this way: whether or not they are indeed one and the same person (tho everyone from Lucas to IM has all but said they are, so bah) they are played by the same actor - not this twit who gets his thirty seconds of fame in ESB - so unless they want to have a Days of Our Lives message in ESB ("Today, the role of the evil Emperor will be played by...") Lucas should have IM as <insert character> do the ESB spot.

How's that for a diplomatic solution?

19. Count_Drew-ku

May 25, 2002
    Actually, that is the one & only change to these films I would agree with.
    At least change the voice anyway.

Ironic though isn't it?
    We can all accept that a different actor can be the Emperor in ESB, yet with the same actor playing both roles, or rather the single role of Palpatine and his alter ego, Sidious, there are fans who think they're different ppl.

Strange.

20. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    That stuff about them being trained is in the visual dictionary, draw your own conclusions about that one.

I'm not going to read the aotc novle till i finsh uni exams, but going by the reviews it should be a good read, at least till i see another book that would be a good read comes along

21. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    this twit who gets his thirty seconds of fame in ESB

An old woman played him. They just whacked on a dude's voice and super-imposed some monkey's eyes.

22. Count_Drew-ku

May 25, 2002
    this twit who gets his thirty seconds of fame in ESB

You mean Boba Fett? ;)

23. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Well I'm just about to start reading AOTC since I've finished exams this week and my wife just finished reading our copy. I might read TPM again too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.