main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Are the stromtroopers in TFA actually clones? In Finn a defect clone?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jonipoon, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    We know Kylo and Hux were talking about using clone armies instead of stormtroopers in the film, but what if they're actually clones afterall?

That would explain why Finn is different from the others. He is a defect clone.

2. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    There not clones anymore, Finn was taken from his family as a child :confused:

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  3. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    Where did you read this information? I've got the Visual Dictionary for TFA, I can't find this information anywhere. The only thing it says is that he's served the First Order for 23 years (since birth).

4. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014

It was mentioned in the movie.

5. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    Found it. Anyway, maybe that's just what he's led to believe? He couldn't possibly remember anything of it anyway, so perhaps it's all just a big lie?

6. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002

Hux and Ren wouldn't be arguing about a clone army vs. conscript if it were.

7. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005
    Finn and his comrades are child soldiers abducted at an early age and conditioned to serve the FO. Whether their conditioning includes being subjected to some form of mind control or not I'm not sure. They also don't make it clear whether defection is a common thing or if Finn's defection is something of a one-off. If Finn is one of many defectors I can see why clone troopers might be favoured. If he's the first or one of only a handful than that's pretty impressive when you consider how large the FO's army of stormtroopers likely is.

8. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    This post has racist overtones. Should be fun.

9. JJRosso

JJRosso Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    Kylo says in the film that if Hux cant control his stormtroopers they will create a clone army. Hux says that wont be necessary

10. magmd

magmd Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2003
    It will be explained in Ep8 :p

11. Strange Old Hermit

Strange Old Hermit Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 17, 2015
    How so? You're the first to directly or indirectly bring up race.

12. DaveyWanKenobi

DaveyWanKenobi Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 4, 2015
    I doubt it. What would be the point of suggesting a clone army if they already had one? Finn would have seen other stormtroopers and noticed they looked exactly like him if that was the case. How could he not know? Do the eat sleep and go to the bathroom all without ever taking off their armor? And another thing: even in the opening scene, those stormtroopers in the landing craft have several variations in height, meaning they are not clones of one another, just like with the OT stormtroopers. Clones are probably pretty old news by this point in the timeline. Don't forget, they have shorter lifespans than regular people as well so it really only makes sense they would phase them out for regular people once the Clone Wars came to a close.

13. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    I was just thinking, because it seems pretty illogical for only ONE stromtrooper to question authority.

Indeed he is. Ignore the troll.

14. Strange Old Hermit

Jul 17, 2015
    It's hard to tell if Finn is the only one that questioned authority or failed to act. They do have a "reconditioning program", according to Phasma. How many are sent there and with what frequency, who knows. It sounds like either torture or a death sentence to me, based on Finn's reaction to being told to report there.

DaveyWanKenobi likes this.
  15. FN-2187

FN-2187 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 6, 2015
    Finn has seen his squadmates without their helmets in Before the Awakening, they're described with different looks than Finn.

16. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Yeah, it's almost like something Awakened.

Jonipoon likes this.
  17. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    That's too bad. A clone army would've made so much more sense. It would have explained why the First Order managed to build up an army in secret without the New Republic noticing. Now, the story has so many holes.

18. Strange Old Hermit

Jul 17, 2015
    It's not unreasonable to think that Empire remnants still have complete control over thousands of systems. That's a lot of children available at their disposal. I don't believe that to be a hole.

19. Unit51

Unit51 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    The First Order wouldn't have protocols and reconditioning programs if a trooper didn't occasionally get out of line, nor would they discuss the merits of clones vs. conscripts in the movie. We have no reason to distrust the idea that the troopers were taken and trained from birth. It sounds to me like you would prefer a clone army and will make points to justify to yourself that it's possible that they're clones. That is some of the clearest exposition the movie gave us. That they aren't clones.
    Don't get me wrong, I kind of wish they were clones too.

20. RDeckard

RDeckard Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    If you accept the fact that the galaxy is very large (because it is), it's not hard to believe the First Order could be built up.

The Nazis built a giant army and no one on their whole planet seemed to care for the longest time. Think maybe the Republic was analogous to the Allies pre WWII?

21. Darth Hood

Darth Hood Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2015
    Clones were gone by ANH. People were enlisting, when Luke and Owen get into a fight over when Luke can leave for the academy, that's the imperial academy.

22. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    That's my head canon too. But if you watch the deleted scenes of ANH with Luke and Biggs, it is really confusing what acedemy they are talking about. It certainly isn't the Imperial academy, because they are both afraid of being drafted! I think it was like Star Wars Pilot Phoenix University or DeVry.

23. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Finn was more rebellious because he worked a quieter janitorial job and probably didn't quite as much constant military discipline being alone in and in a place where he could chat with the lower ranks of the FO.

24. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    Nah, he worked sanitation detail on Starkiller but he was regular infantry.

25. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Got the impression he was transferred.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.