main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Are the Tarkins in Episode 7?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Grilled Hutt, Feb 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    http://makingstarwars.net/2015/02/s...rial-armbands-hint-classic-characters-legacy/

Do you think that the Tarkin family figure into this film? Or is it a collectible for the collector? Its not sith, why would someone have an armband that said Tarkin.

2. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Check the Rumor Depository thread.

3. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    So with all these Tarkin rumors flying around, the last of them that a Tarkin will make an appearance in the TFA section of the new Battlefront, who do you think will play said Major Tarkin in TFA? Is it the same role that was rumored to be a descendant of Count Dooku last year? Is it Gwen Christies chrome trooper (a role that BC was rumored for as well, who looks like a Tarkin relative)?

It is making sense now why a character that was mosty ignored in the old EU is suddenly getting that much attention (a new canon novel, an appearance in Rebels). Considering that Tarkin also played a major role in the later episodes of TCW and Lucas had started working on his treatments around that time, I wonder if Major Tarkin is an original idea of GL.

4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    If handled correctly, I would not mind seeing a descendant of Tarkin. As you mentioned, he's been popping up a lot lately. I would not object to a descendant of Dooku either.

Would be pretty cool for Gwen's character to be related to the former. I could definitely see that informing her pursuit of the rebellious Finn.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  5. TtheForceHurts

Jan 28, 2010
    Have you read the Tarkin novel? Gwen Christie is said to be heavily scarred. There is a certain event upon reaching puberty that the Tarkins partake in that could be used to explain her disfigurements...

6. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I'm picturing a teenage Tarkin as basically Joffrey in space.

RyanForder, EviL_eLF, Dra--- and 4 others like this.
  7. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

Waiting on Tarkin in paperback. So I'll have to roll with what you said...

8. Ben R

Ben R Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

* sighs*

I love Grand Moff Tarkin. And, his inclusion in the Rebels TV series is great so far. But, his younger relatives are being thrown into this new movie? Why, oh why - must there constantly have to be relatives and offspring of characters from the previous trilogy/trilogies to take the new roles in the new trilogy? The Skywalker bloodline continuing makes sense and is fine, obviously. But, if this Tarkin rumor is true, I say... "Enough with this." We don't need relatives of Dooku, Jango/Boba Fett, Tarkin, etc... all stuffed in just so that there's name recognition throughout the movie. This new film is already going to hit us over the head with nostalgia (Falcon, X-wings, TIE's, Tatooine, original cast, etc.). And, it's nice that JJ and company have gone out of their way to provide that. But, I don't want a complete rehash of stuff we've already seen. New characters, new relationships, new planets, and new vehicles would also be much welcomed. ...with characters not related to anyone else we've met before. It's a big galaxy, JJ. There are trillions of intelligent beings from families we've not yet been introduced to in that galaxy. Let's see more of those, please.

Fruit Pastilles and jedilips like this.
  9. TtheForceHurts

Jan 28, 2010
    With two kids I have less time to read, so I have an audible account and so I have gotten both Tarkin and New Dawn on release day for less than the Hardcover costs. If you are into audiobooks pick them up they are both great.
    I rather think of Tarkin as Tywin in space... Joffrey I guess that would rather be young Sheev (at least how he is portayed in Darth Plagueis)

Dra--- and Flapjack4 like this.
  10. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    I am glad this doesn't happen in the United States.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    I wouldn't mind. As long as all the main characters aren't related to OT characters. I don't want the main characters all being Solo, Skywalker, Calrissian and Tarkin. I want to see some new families, but at the same time, have some familiar families.

12. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2014
    Agreed. It's Star Wars not 'The Walton's in Space'

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Goodnight, Johnboy. Goodnight, Kylo.

14. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    Nice one. :D That being said... how else can we explain imperial insignia... Tarkin will be there and my money is on Brienne.

15. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Actually, myth was all about families and Star Wars is myth. I like the family connections, and I think it makes perfect sense that the Tarkins would stay involved in galactic events.

16. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I think if the family connections are done with the story and characters in mind, it's fine. If it's just fan service, then that's pushing it.

17. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
    My sense is that Tarkin is not important to this film at all. My sense is that the armband is an Easter Egg or is simply meant to give a physical presence to a character involved in peripheral media from the film. I've seen people making silly claims and linking it to Gleeson, which is really off base.

18. SWITS

SWITS Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 7, 2015
    Does the Tarkin audiobook have John Williams music playing in the background? If so, I will definitely buy it.

19. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Wait, you're saying Roberto Orci isn't in the film? I don't know if I want to see it anymore...

starocean90 and MakingStarWars like this.
  20. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    B-but armband is our Holy Grail since no real info... :_|

21. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    I agree, I want to see new characters and some new scenery. Tarkin (as amazing as he is) has had his day, its time for someone new.

22. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Yeah kind of figured. I think people may be obsessed with Tarkin because of the novel. He has about as much chance to influence the storyline as Dooku and much LESS than Lando.

starocean90 likes this.
  23. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    I haven't read the Tarkin novel. I just think it's a great idea to have the son of Tarkin be a Death Star abolitionist, while Leia is on verge of using one. The irony is too great to pass up, as are the moral lessons. It's relatively clear-cut when you're an outnumbered rebel. But when you're governing and/or have a military/ technological advantage? How do you balance morality with practicality then? I just don't want that governing to be as boring as it was in the PT, and this Death Star scenario is the perfect solution.

Though I admit that there's not a lot of evidence to suggest that a descendant of Tarkin is going to be play a large role. I just want to see this version of the movie I have created in my mind.

TtheForceHurts and Dra--- like this.
  24. hartman89

hartman89 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2014
    Is the Tarkin novel canon?

25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yes, it is, completely.

sizziano, starocean90 and hartman89 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.