main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are the true fans the ones that point out all the flaws or are they the ones that like the prequels?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by sdj, Sep 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Actually, I dont want this thread locked. This is a cool thread. I predict that this thread will be the longest lasting thread ever. And someday I will save these PT bashers from the darkside.

2. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    DARTHSAPIENT HOW CAN I END THIS IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT SOEM ONE SAYS. IT WILL NOT END BECASUE THERE WILL ALWAYS BE PEOPLE LIKE THAT. I SAYLET US ALL JUST LOVE SW. BECUASE I SAID IT BEFORE IF WE DON'T IF IT BE THE OT PT OR EU. SW WILL BE AS DEAD AS A DOON KNOB. SO PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO END THIS. BUT WHAT CAN WE SAY THAT WILL CHAGNE THERE MINDS NOTIHG. SO WHAT IS THE PONIT. IF THAT IS WHAT THEY WANT TO BELIEVE LET THEM. BUT I WELL STILL WELCOME THEM TO THE CLUB BECAUSE THEY LIKE SW. JSUT LIKE THE OT, PT, AND EU FANS. WERE ALL THE SAME WHEN IT COMES TO SW.

3. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    rpeugh

I think you have a better chance or learning how to stop people from dying.

But let's continue this square dance by all means. Strike up the banjos and fiddles! Yee-ha!

4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    DarthSapient, I haven't insulted anyone. It looks like you read Anakin_girl's accusation without actually reading any of my posts to find out if she was right. It turns out she just made that **** up. I encourage everyone to read posts carefully before making baseless accusations.

Added a few more *'s for you. ;)

5. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    YES BUT THIS IS GOING NO WHERE JABBADABBADO. SO LET US JUST SAY THAT. EVER ONE WHO LIKES SW IN ANY WHY. IS AN SW FAN. THAT WHY VERY ONE IS HAPPY.

6. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Maybe it would help to de-escalate things if you would tap that "Caps Lock" button. :)

7. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Um, can we lose the ALL CAPITALS! posts please?

Anyway, one can't be much of a fan if they think they have to convince everybody to be as bitter and cynical about the films as they are.

But I digress. Instead of this pointless division we should simply accept that people have different capacities for enjoying Star Wars. Some only like the originals, some like all the movies, others like the movies and the books, but it doesn't matter in the long run.

What is important is that none of us close our minds to the point that we drive away new fans.

8. Punisher

Punisher Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 1998
    When I was a kid and stood in line for HOURS to see ROTJ, I couldn't wait. Even though that film is reviled by some fans because it had EWOKS, the biggest thing that bugged me is that it had another Death Star...
    What makes that bad is that I live in a "hick" town and some guy even said during the film "Didn't they do this in the first one?!"

Some people LOVE the repeating themes, but I'm getting SICK of it! When does it stop being genius and just become a lame attempt at repeating yourself enough to keep the fans' happy and the box office rolling in?

Okay, so we have TPM, I didn't care for C-3PO being built by Anakin. WHY?
    NOW every idiot is going to watch the OT and try to draw some kind of parallel to Vader and Threepio....
    "In the Carbon Freezing Chamber... Vader recognized Threepio!"

The problem with the PT is that GL is trying to tie up so many loose ends by "relating" every character to the other...
    in R2-D2's case his "relationship" with Padme is extremely logical... in Anakin and Threepio's case it isn't "He's a protocol droid to help mom."
    Does anyone remember the trouble Threepio had getting Owen to buy him in ANH?
    What the hell good is he to Shmi, she didn't have a moisture farm! We never saw her deal with different aliens... if she's a slave, I would doubt that she should even have a droid at all!

The point is, that in order to get C-3PO into the films, GL gave him a very "flimsy" origin...
    For people that take their SW seriously, it is a bit of a slap in the face to think that GL is turning a GALAXY far, far, away into a SMALL, SMALL, WORLD!

Jeez, there have been loads of comments from people that wanted OT characters in the PT? WHY?
    I don't care about seeing a 16 year old Han Solo in a vest and bloodstripe pants running around in the background!

Half the time, I'm not pissed at Lucas, I'm pissed at the fans that want to go out of their way to turn a "modern myth" into a dated pile of crap full of lame in jokes and references to modern times!
    "I don't care what galaxy you're from that's gotta hurt!"

Proof to me that GL DOESN'T care about these films is that he doesn't try to get help from good scriptwriters.
    He's letting his ego get in the way and it is hurting the films!
    For every bit of crap in the OT there seems to be much more in the PT, one would think that GL would get better with age and have a more concise, logical story.
    Now we have a first film that basically tries to turn Anakin into somekinda intergalactic Jesus just so GL can say "see he WAS good before he went bad!"

GL tried TOO hard in trying to turn Anakin into Beaver Cleaver with all of the "Yippees!" and charity work.
    What's the moral to the story...everyone is good until they turn 19 and try to catch their first piece of --- and then they turn evil?

No, the point was to show how a good man can be trapped by his need to possess things. Anakin couldn't let go of his mother and he couldn't let go of Padme, in the end, it eventually DESTROYED him!!!!
    Everyone is under the impression that AOTC was a love story, well, they bought into the hype TOO MUCH, cause it wasn't.
    Spider-Man was a love story (HORRORS!)because in the end, he realized that he couldn't put Mary Jane into harm because of his RESPONSIBILITES as a super-hero. It was the opposite of what AOTC was...
    Anakin was willing to shirk his responsibilites in order to save Padme...I don't out of love, but because he wants her to fill his "mother's role"....
    You can believe what you want, but in the end, past the bad dialogue, the over-blown effects, and funny names... there is a STORY and a MORAL to the SW saga.... I think a TRUE FAN never loses sight of that!

I do think that GL does realize that, deep down past the poop and fart jokes! I just don't care for his new kind of storytelling.... but to sit there and use the accusation that someone isn't a true fan because they still went to see the films and they weren't into GL NEW kind of storytelling, is a load of crap!

A "casual" fan would have abandoned SW afte

9. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    That is what I'm saying. We should not do that. But when people say the only ture SW fans are the OT fans well that is what drives away the new fans. I don't want that to happen.

10. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I admit that I once called DarthSapient a "scruffy looking nerf herder." But I stole that line from a Star Wars movie.

11. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    You don't like the repeating themes? Then don't watch them. You sound like a guy criticising Picasso for using so much blue.

12. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    But then way close the door to the new fans that became fans becasue of the PT or the EU for that matter. IF it is just the OT fans that a the ture fans then SW is already dead. Becasue all the new fans are not really fans at all then.

13. Only_2

Only_2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    Thank you for your wisdom Punisher. You now show us that we all owe a debt to someone who has continued to come here even after two PT films he didn't like and was made to suffer through, just to bait people into arguments. great. That's the spirit.

Am I the only one who saw ANH in '77 who isn't jaded?

14. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Hey, who's scruffy-lookin'?

- To all, be nice and don't let this be a basher/gusher thread. That really hurt the TPM forum.

- PLEASE REMOVE THE ALL CAPS FUNCTION BECAUSE IT IS ANNOYING AND HARD TO READ

- Everyone post cool and the thread won't get locked.

15. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Jabbadabbadoo: Whether or not the word "morons" was stated specifically in one of your posts (which I'll digress until I find it), it was certainly implied. You have several posts in which you insulted those of us who like the PT, implying that we are not as intelligent as you OT-only fans. That is trolling; that is against the rules.

But never mind--I am not arguing this anymore. I will defend myself when I am insulted, but as far as the thread topic, I have stated my position.

16. Punisher

Oct 20, 1998
    There is a point where the repeating themes excuse smells of desperation. I swear GL uses it like an excuse for bad storytelling...
    I guess in Ep. 3 we will see the Jedi attack some big Separatist SUPER WEAPON that way GL can "link" the frst and last films of the PT to the first and last films of the OT?!

Gimme a break!

If you want to see how repeating themes can be used in a good way, watch Terminator and Terminator 2....

17. OgiBenDagi

OgiBenDagi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 31, 2002
    Umm....from my point of view, I haven't seen a surge of PT fans telling OT fans that they aren't fans for only liking the OT.

What I have seen, or read more appropriately, is 5-6 fans of the OT denying that the PT should be called Star Wars, insisting that a government agency should come and take SW rights from GL and a constant personal attack on the intelligence of someones that enjoys Menace or Clones.

18. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Looks like you and I saw the same thing, OgiBenDagi.

19. obhavekenobi78

obhavekenobi78 Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    George is going to reveal that Jar Jar has a twin named Tar Tar and then you will all realize the power of the prequels. More speech problems, more comedy, and much more poop.

Long live George Lucas for giving us "Poopy in the Prequels!"

BTW, does anyone else think that AotC should have included more pooh scenes?

20. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Who cares if it was repeating. Yeah I like T1 and T2 but even that moive had flaws in it to. If there is one thing you don't like about a moive that does not mean you should stop other people from liking it. The EU was doing something right by having some repeating thems other wise there woudl be no EU and who cares if some one likes the PT they can still be fans of SW. There is nothing worng with that. If we get more SW fans because of the PT is that not what realy counts after all. With out all th enew fans that come in becasue of the PT SW dies out.

21. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Jabbadabbado's top 10 list of bad thread ideas that will get him banned by DarthSapient.

10. First 10 posters in this thread are true fans
    9. Lucas Caved On the Jar Jar Issue. Post Here to Gloat!
    8. Did you like the PT? Sucker!
    7. My Mom Could Make a Better Prequel than George Lucas
    6. Until I saw AOTC I didn't know how bad a Star Wars movie could get!
    5. Jabbadabbado: The AOTC Forum's Voice of Reason
    4. The Official True Fans vs. Prequel Fans Debate Club
    3 Lucas Could Not Have screwed this one up more if he tried. Agreed?
    2. Are you a basher or a gusher? Let's fight about it.
    1. I LOVE STAR WARS AND YOU DONT

22. JediHeretic47

JediHeretic47 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2002
    That was a good one, GMT.

23. Punisher

Oct 20, 1998
    I never said that I hated the PT, I don't find much of it as "entertaining" as much of the OT... that's mostly due to the fact that I can see the pattern of how the story is structured and plotted out....I just think that GL's use of some characters isn't making said characters better.

If anything, the SW saga has been rich in it's characters... but GL is leaving many of his characters to die....
    The only OT characters (in my opinion)that are benefitting are Palpatine, R2-D2 and in AOTC, Yoda.
    Obi-wan was wasted in TPM, I do like his use in AOTC much more. Anakin was too "fake" in TPM and even though his portrayal in AOTC was better, I still think that GL is selling the character short. Padme is turning into an excuse to get girls to see the "pretty dresses" and isn't anymore than a "non war" Leia clone to some extent. I have already covered Threepio....

Oops, I'm being critical. Let me get back to immature mudslinging... y'all suck!
    8-}

24. obhavekenobi78

obhavekenobi78 Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    Jabbadabbadoo,

I posted this thread a while back and it was locked quickly. :)

"George Lucas is a flannel-wearing no-talent hack!"

25. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    But we are all SW fans it does not matter what part you like. OT, PT, EU, or even the fanfic AU's. we are all SW fans in the end. You don't have to like the PT. But if some else does don't tell them they are not any SW fan becasue you drvie them away. Lets not do that. let us all just say we are all ture SW fan because we like the movies, or we like the books or what ever else is out there. So then can we all just say that very one is a fan of SW no matter if they like the OT, or the PT. Again that way we will all be happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.