main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are the true fans the ones that point out all the flaws or are they the ones that like the prequels?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by sdj, Sep 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Durwood just hit it no the nail. Right there. My dad does nto really like SW but he still went with me to see it why becasue he saw the 1st one in 77 and he knew hwo much I liked SW. So he went because to was new for me to see it on the big sreecn. Think you OgiBenDagi. I'm glad you said that.

2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I like all the SW films to a greater or lesser degree. Do I hate TPM? Heck no! It's a SW film! It's visually one of the best out of the entire series.

BUT, I don't blindly worship every single line of dialogue, word, or poop joke Lucas comes up with.

If I share my opinion that some scenes drag along and move slow, some dialogue is clunky, some scenes lack any drama or sense of action-adventure, then so what? Does that mean I hate the film? Of course not. It just means I'm a big Star Wars fan.

And if dialogue or plot points seem to contradict what was said in the OT and I question it, does that make me a "NONFAN"? No way.

What about people who may actually, really enjoy the story being told in the PT thus far. I have two younger cousins who do. I would never say to them "You like the PT? You're no fans of Star Wars!"

Frankly, I'm tired of so-called fans spending more time creating threads questioning who are the "REAL FANS" rather than talking and discussing these films they CLAIM to love so much.

After 2005, we will all have six films to take in their entirety. What a great thing this will be! Think about it. We will have six Star Wars films to enjoy more or less. There was a time I thought the there would only be 3. But then the prequels came and, for better or not so, here we are on the cusp of the final sixth film and some fans are calling others non-fans for questioning some of Lucas' choices.

What is that about? Is this what the debate here has come to? What about midi's and the questions therein? The disappearing or non-disappearance of certain Jedi? Do we really feel the need to start threads with the audacity to claim "I'M A REAL FAN AND YOU'RE NOT AND HERE'S WHY" ? Is someone trying to boost their post count higher?

Sorry, but I have to go. I have to finish looking through the Art of Attack of the Clones book. Really good book for a good film.

Shane Peterson
    Star Wars Fan since 1977.

:)

3. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    While I have liked the OT all of my life, I never actually considered myself a Star Wars fan until the PT's existance; however, now, thanks to TPM and AOTC, I most definitely am a fan--no matter whether anyone else thinks I am or not.

4. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    I have to tell you that I still get goosebumps when I see "LFL" then "A long time ago..." then the Jon Williams score hit with that Star Wars logo pulling into the background. It makes me feel incredibly alive and takes me straight back to that 5-year-old version of myself watching ANH for the first time.

This sums up my feelings perfectly!

5. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Thank you to ShaneP and KosmioKnino to. I wish there were more up minded SW people like you. You are a long with Durwood, and OgiBenDagi are the people who like to welocme the new people in not shut them out and we should not shut them otu just becasue they like the PT. This is something I hope to show my kids when I'm a DAD why? Because I love SW not jsut the OT but all of it PT, EU, AU and so on.

6. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Maybe all the bashers got the message after those two real good post. I hope

7. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    What is this freaky code you keep posting in!?

8. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    It's called compassion.

9. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Think you Go-Mer-Tonic.

10. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    For some reason I thank you meant "think", er um I mean, think you meant "thank". If so, then you are welcome. Us "glass half-full" people have to stick together.

11. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Yes that is what I ment thank you. To me I welcome all new fans of SW. Even if they do like NJO. To me fans of the OT, PT, EU, and AU are all SW fans.

12. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "Need any more evidence?"

more than two of your friends opinions quoted on a star wars board?

haha yes i think we all need more evidence.

13. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    He said that he has yet to hear of a single person becoming a Star Wars fan because of the prequels. I gave two examples. There are no doubt many, many more. In short, Jabba has been proven wrong.

14. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000

But then again, if someone only likes half the films (or even less than half as there are some that are none too fond of Return Of The Jedi) can they still call themselves a Star Wars fan?

Star Wars: Classic scifi/fantasy movie from 1977, written and directed by George Lucas, produced by Gary Kurtz.
    I love this film. I'm a Star Wars fan. I'm disgusted by the prequels. Still a Star Wars fan.

15. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "I have to tell you that I still get goosebumps when I see "LFL" then "A long time ago..." then the Jon Williams score hit with that Star Wars logo pulling into the background. It makes me feel incredibly alive and takes me straight back to that 5-year-old version of myself watching ANH for the first time."

and you got that feeling BECAUSE OF THE OT.

the only reason you took my earlier post as an insult is your fault, much like it is other fans fault that they dont like the PT right? just ask Gomer.

and you did not read my post carefully enough, as usual. i responded in a ridiculous manner to a ridiculous, trolling thread.

16. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    Hey look, a Gary Kurtz reference. Thank you for making my day. Any chance we get to hear about Marcia Lucas too?

[face_laugh]

17. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    DrEvazen Be careful what you say. Some people do take it the wrong way.

18. OgiBenDagi

OgiBenDagi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 31, 2002
    Ree Yees, IMO, yes you are a Star Wars Fan because of it's really just an abstract idea. You make the idea into what it means to you.

I think, however, what this particular debate has now evolved into, is the debate over whether you can define what it means to be a fan for others. Trying to impose your idea of what Star Wars is and what it should or shouldn't mean to others just seems a bit loco to me.

Aside from that, like someone posted earlier, being selfish as to how you think Star Wars should be and trying to impose that will on others seems to really contridict what the saga is about.

19. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Are the true fans the ones that point out all the flaws or are they the ones that like the prequels

Both. Fan is short for fanatic, in case you don't know...so you can be fanatical about pointing out the flaws or fanatical about pointing out why you liked the film.

'Nuff said. :)

20. OgiBenDagi

OgiBenDagi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 31, 2002
    Not to jump into a debate on semantics, but I think that we are all working from the idea that in our 21st century American lives, the word fan means somebody that likes something beyond a casual interest. I don't think anyone Gushers/Bashers are coming from the stand point that they are fans by the definition that they are fanatical about hating Star Wars.

Do we all agree on that at least?

21. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    I don't think anyone has the right to judge the extent of another person's fandom or not.

22. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The PT movies aren't really Star Wars films, so this whole question of fandom is moot.

23. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Just by Jabbadabbado's comment, it's clear that this thread will be closed. :)

24. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    OgiBenDagi

I'm with you. And you have proven your fandom with the mere selection of your name.

I'm sorry it comes across like I actually judge people some times, but the only reason I feel the need to DEFEND, is that people keep attacking. Even 4 months after the fact. I don't think it will end soon, because some people can't let go. I'm just trying not to get to cynical with my posts. They won't take my sunshine away.

:D

25. Only_2

Only_2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    PT fans are fans of the PT because they want to get in on all the cool fan action that the OT fans have experienced for years. they have to like the films of the PT just so they can call themselves fans, and try to be like the OT fans. unfortunatley the PT films havent earned fans, just defenders.

I am a PT fan. I am an OT fan. I guess that makes me a Star Wars fan. But I guess if you only like one or the other, you are not really a Star Wars fan according to you, right Dr.E?

I'm not going to make wild accusations ala many people here, but I'd be willing to bet there are FAR more people like myself than people like you. Why is it that you self-declared Star Wars fans seem to think you have some old-guy birth rite to call themselves a Star Wars fan because they are opinionated as all hell and feel cheated by a man they've never met, for a lousy 8 bucks they spent on a movie. I was around for the OT too. You are the minority. Your opinion is valid to you and you alone. Stop trying to sound above it all, you are not. If anything, your self gratifying attitude puts you beneath the sane people who come here.

I like Star Wars, all of it. That doesn't mean you have the right to lump me in with one of your preconceived titles.

There's nothing worse than a Star Wars Racist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.