main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are there any black racists in the SW universe?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sven_Starcrown, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sven_Starcrown

Sven_Starcrown Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 10, 2009
    Anyone knows about black guys being racists toward aliens in SW?

2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Here's the thing.

Anthropologically speaking, race is a construct. The more people interact with others, the less significance the artificial distinctions have, which is why it's safer to describe people by vague skin shades in SW than anything else: in a galaxy where humans are just humans, there's little distinction between someone that looks like Queen Jamillia, and someone that looks like Mace Windu. When we're dealing with different sapient species out, there, race based on phenotype sort of becomes meaningless.

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yes, yes, April Fool's. Very clever.

4. Sven_Starcrown

Mar 10, 2009
    No april silliness, i am serious about this.

5. Tyber_Zahn

Tyber_Zahn Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 20, 2008
    Yes there will be some black Imperial characters, somewhere probably, you don't tend to see them.

6. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I'm curious as to why you're asking this question.

I have a feeling I know why, and I'm hoping it's not the case

7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm making a point of not asking.

8. Sven_Starcrown

Mar 10, 2009
    I am not a racist. I think wouldnt have a Fisto icon if i would be one. I would use a Tarkin icon, or some imperial dude.

I was thinking this theme could be an issue of political correctness(possibly).

I didnt want to use the word african-american because there is no Africa in Star Wars.

9. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Racism based on phenotype is fairly meaningless in a galaxy as diverse as the SW one. The closest I can think of to intra-human racism is the Summertime War, and that has more to do with ethnicity/nationality.

10. AdmirableAckbar

AdmirableAckbar Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2008
    Just as long as we have an America...

11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I think he meant against...

...oh, I just can't be bothered.

12. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    That's what I figured. I was under the impression from that start that this would be one of those threads which complains that only white people are depicted as racist or specieist in the SW universe.

13. JediMasterNicolas

JediMasterNicolas Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 4, 2005
  14. Daala

Daala Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 1999
    Well...

As far as the novels, there isn't a lot of what we Earth-humans would recognize as racial/ethnic diversity among SW-galaxy humans. Before Mace Windu, Queen Jamilla and a handful of others, Lando was what I referred to as the "brown standard" and quite honestly as a brown girl I was kinda tired of that. I'm going to leave my comments at that because it's a sore point for me. It was a question I raised on this very board about, oh, nine years ago not too long after I signed up here (I think under my Red-gold 03 handle as I had lost the password for this one). The reaction from the posters at the time here ranged between, "Well, there's Lando" and "There are tons of non-humans" (because THAT is the same, right?) and "I don't know what we can do about that", the latter containing a significant amount of hostility that came close to essentially telling me to shut up and stop rocking the boat. [face_shame_on_you]

[face_thinking] That's why I stopped posting here for a long time. Despite those reactions, I did connect with some other posters, one of which continues to be one of my best friends to this day. And that's all I have to say on this.

15. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    The mid 90's did give us Belindi Kalenda, don't forget her, but I do see where your coming from though. We just didn't have many prominate human characters with a different skin tone than Luke until the Prequels rolled around.[face_thinking]

I always imagined Chin, from the Wild Karrde, as Asian as well. Though that might not have been the intent, maybe just my own misconception from his name.

16. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Why would that be, because he has dreds and a Jamaican accent? :rolleyes:(both at you and the makers of the Clone Wars 3D cartoon)

17. Daala

Daala Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 1999
    Ah yes, I remember Belindi. Notably, that she was described as cock-eyed or some such. 8-} (Can I put in a requisition order for a cock-eyed smilie face? Because that'd be awesome.)

Re: Chin. See, I thought the body part and immediately cast Bruce Campbell in the role. :p ETA: Although, Robert Z'Dar totally pwns BC in the chin department. Do an Google Image search on him if you don't know who he is and never watched MST3K. :D

18. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    This isn't as bizarre a question as you might think. Star Trek already has had at least one black character being profoundly bigoted against aliens. This is meant to show the irony of racism and how it can infect anyone I think.

[image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/a/a8/Cartwright2293.jpg]

19. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Sven - the humans in the SW universe, remember, don't have any concept of distinct races among humans in the Earth sense; skin tone (at least, those skintones found on Earth) is no more notable than hair or eye color. So, assuming you're using "racist" in the SW sense-- i.e., bigoted against other species-- then yes, there are probably plenty of dark-skinned Human racists.

Daala - while the novels are fairly whitebread, I've been pretty impressed with how ethnically diverse the comics are-- especially Legacy.

20. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    Well, when I play KotOR, I make Revan into a dark-skinned human as I think it makes him/her more interesting that way, as such characters are usually thought of as light-skinned by default. Plus I like it because light-skinned humans IMO are overdone, and I want to see more dark-skinned humans.

21. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Really, baseline Humans ought to be a fairly uniform shade of medium brown, with ethnically-generic facial features; but I guess that'd get boring from a real-world standpoint. :p

22. Daala

Daala Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 1999
    But that irony is more appropriate to the Star Trek universe, which is an Earth-based future (our future) and all the nasty racial history (Trans-Atlantic slave trade, Jim Crow, etc) that comes along with it. The Star Wars universe has never (and I doubt ever will) show this type of history between lighter and darker skinned humans. SW's equivalent is, in my opinion, the history between humans and other sentient beings in the galaxy. I hope I explained this clearly, I'm a bit hungry and need to go forage.

23. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    True.

But the question is what effect this has on the reader more than what effect it has on the people in the Star Wars galaxy.

For example, I'm not sure it was a good idea to have a black Imperial Grand Admiral.

24. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    black guys being racists toward aliens in SW? What in the hell? Man, we have gotta fight now, kark it! Lemme explain something to you, cause you seem ignorant & I hate seeing you make a fool of yourself, it's not a good look!

When Mace Windu had to beat ass on that black 'lectroid Sora Bulq that used to be his former student, it wasn't cause he was a black man being racist against black aliens, it was because Mace had to put in check a black alien who was uncle tommin' for the Man, Count Bow Down to Me Brothers & Sisters Dooku!

When Lando Calrissian had white alien Ugnaughts doing all the menial labor in Cloud City, it was not cause Mr. Colt 45's was was making his alien overlord oppresors pay for 400 years of slavery, it was because the white alien Ugnaughts were homeless mooches that were rumaging thru Cloud City's trash anyways, Lando just gave them a paycheck for what they were already doing!

The Icecream maker brother in ESB did not steal the icecream thingy from from some white alien cause he was a racist, that white alien owed him 50 credits, dammit!

Now Mace Windu did hate on little Anakin Skywalker when he turned him down for wanting to be a Jedi, but that's cause he hates precoscious little cute kids, don't matter what color they are, they makes him sick!

Black Power, peace in the middle east & may the force be with you!

25. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I'm sure it varies from world to world, continent to continent, population to population.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.