main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are there any black racists in the SW universe?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sven_Starcrown, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    Yes this is quite a :oops: kind of topic

2. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    You'd think that most humans on Tatooine would definitely be more swarthy, particularly if they'd been there for a significant period of time. Say... generations.

3. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    That's probably why as of the PT, we now have Kitster.

[image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/c/c8/KitsterWald_ep1ig.jpg]

4. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah but Tatooine was largely forgotten between KOTOR and 1,100 BBY (according to the Wooki) and apart from that I think most humans arrived even in the last century. In neither case is that enough time for significant genetic divergence, considering the amount of offworlders that arrive constantly and thus dilute the local genetics.

Of course, genetics notwithstanding, everyone living there should end up with skin like elephant hide after a couple of summers under those suns... :rolleyes:

5. Daala

Daala Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 1999
    I thought I remember reading somewhere that the residents of Tatooine look decades older than their same species, same gender counterparts on non-twin suns-desert worlds. Might've been the Wook.

6. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    That was basically a post-prequels retcon to explain why Ben Kenobi looks a lot older than he ought for a man of 57. (It was long assumed he was older than that, probably partly based on the original 35 BBY Clone Wars date, but then TPM came around and he was confirmed to be only 25 at that time.)

7. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    I wouldn't say Kenobi looks "a lot older", considering Alec was not yet 62 when ANH was filmed.

A far more egregious example is Owen Lars, who due to a terrible retcon by R.A Salvatore is now the same age as Anakin, and hence only 42 in ANH.

8. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Meh. As long as it's appropriate to describe someone's hair color in a Star Wars book, it should be equally appropriate to to describe their skin color. While using physical features as a basis for different treatment is inappropriate, using them to create a clearer picture of a person isn't.

I'd say so, but I think it's just as big a minefield to refer to bizarre SF creations in racial terms as it is to refer to them as "near-human."

While his Imperial and dark-side upbringing may suggest the possibility, there are no overt cues that Declann was a humanocentrist.

[image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/b/ba/Owenlarsold.jpg]
    [image=http://media.npr.org/dvd/2004/nov/star_wars/jedi.jpg]
    Owen got the better end of THAT deal . . .

9. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Owen never fell into lava though...as far as we know...

10. RebelJoseWales

RebelJoseWales Jedi Master star 3

Sep 10, 2008
    Which is why he got the better end of the deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.