main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are there any EU characters considered insane?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The_Becoming, Mar 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Becoming

The_Becoming Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2003
    I've been obsessed with movie psychopaths, Hannibal, Francis, Jame, Michael, Jason, freddy, etc. for a long time, and I wonder, are there any characters in the EU who, you know, might be a multiple murder or be seriously deranged?

2. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Joruus C?Boath. Emperor Palpatine. Jaina Solo. Take your pick.

3. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Triclops, had a weird split personality disorder, when he is asleep he is a madman, thinking up diabolical weapons, and helping the empire. While awake he is a peaceful pacifist completely against everything the empire stands for.

4. The_Becoming

The_Becoming Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2003
    The only one you mentioned that is truly insane is Jorrus. Palpatine is simply evil and power hungry, and Jainas just a bitch.

5. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Haha. :)

I actually think Palpatine was insane. I mean, come on, he had to be.

C'boath was very insane, and Jaina's just misunderstood.

6. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Tsavong Lah was just misunderstood too. All he really needed was a hug. Instead, Jaina sabered him. :(

7. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    Isard went nuts, IMO.

8. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    You think that too Gandolf?! He could have been brought to the light!

9. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    Palpatine belived himself to be perfect,and as Data said STFC "Beliving oneself to be perfect is often the sign of a Delusional mind" palpatine also seems to have suffered from Narcistic Personality Disorder and severe Megalomaina,he also enjoys inflicting pain and suffering on others.

Exar Kun also showed signs of mental instability but not insanity,and the Anzati race clearly shows Psychotic behavior;devouring the soup or life force of others for sick perverted pleasure instead of just eating regular foods like All other aliens and baseline human and humaniods do.

10. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Yeah, Isard got kinda crazy near the end. Blackhole was insanely paranoid. But I thought Anzati needed soup to survive?

11. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    That one lady...I can't remember which book...Ismaren.

(Possible spoiler, highlight to read)
    Oh, and if she doesn't straighten up in Refugee or Reunion, Tahiri.

12. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    Not really true,Volfe Karkkos was an Anzati Jedi Knight for years before he ever tasted the Soup of others,of course he had to eat something to survive before that,and the Jedi Order would not tolerate him leaching off of the Life Forces of other Jedi or the Citizens of Coruscant while he was living in the Jedi Temple either.

13. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Evolution has nothing to do with mental states, at least not comparing one species to another's mental states, but comparing the states of individuals within the species with others within the same species.

If a species evolved a trait do to that being the only way to survive on their planet, then it had nothing to do with how they think mentally. I'm sure that only a few anzati go after other sentient prey, most probably just feed off of lower animals of their homeplanet.

Though there is behavioral evolution in which a species are compatible because of their behavior, where they can't get along with other similar species because they are mentally different, so reproduction won't occur between those two different species. But behavior in that case is natural to the species, and has nothing to do with human sanity or insanity. What would make something insane or sane would depend on how an individual in that species compares to other members of his species. If one member was completely different mentally than the majority of his species, he would be psychotic. In other words say you had a species, say the tasmanian devil, that was agressive, and tended to attack with little provocation, if one was born that was peaceful and didn't attack at all but rather backed down, it would be psychotic compared to the traits of its species.

14. Devi

Devi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2002
    Runt has Multiple Personality Disorder (that condition is normal for his species, though). Captain Joak Drysso snapped (went crazy) in The Bacta War, calling himself "Admiral", then "Grand Admiral", and wanting to ram the Lusankya into the surface of Thyferra.

That one lady...I can't remember which book...Ismaren.

Roganda Ismaren. Her story is in the books Children of the Jedi and Rebel Stand. Subjected her own son to Frankenstein-ish experiments.

Yeah, Isard got kinda crazy near the end.

If by "near the end" you mean "in The Bacta War" I wholeheartedly agree. In Isard's Revenge, she was her strong, cool-headed self again. The original Isard, that is. The clone always seemed kinda wacky to me.

15. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    According to The Essential Guide to Alien Species, Zuckuss spent time in a Coruscant sanitarium and was believed to have had split personalities. But they're liars! Zuckuss is too cool to be insane. :)

16. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    There is a fine line between desperation and insanity.

"Runt has Multiple Personality Disorder (that condition is normal for his species, though)."

If it is natural for his species to have multple personalities, then it wouldn't be a disorder, and he wouldn't be insane. Now if he had only one personality in a species that is supposed to have multiple personalities, he would have a disorder.

"According to The Essential Guide to Alien Species, Zuckuss spent time in a Coruscant sanitarium and was believed to have had split personalities. But they're liars! Zuckuss is too cool to be insane."

So you believe it was all an act? That his different personalieties were acts, just to set other people off guard, so they would think he was crazy, all the while he planned and schemed?

While that's possible it still doesn't explain why he would take his stupidity act as far as he did in Bounty Hunter Wars(which by the way was the reason that EG to aliens says he has a split personality to fix the error created by BHW).

17. InyriForge

InyriForge Jedi Master star 5

Jan 24, 2002
    I know Joruus C'baoth was insane. He's mentioned as such throughout TTT.

Are mental breakdowns considered part of insanity?

~Inyri

18. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Val: Yeah, I've always maintained that the "insanity" quick fix wouldn't have been necessary if K.W. Jeter had just done his research and read Of Possible Futures.

19. dark_jedi666

dark_jedi666 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Well besides the ones already mentioned I would have to say that Vergere was a bit insane at points. Comeon she spent 50 years with the Vong it had to drive her crazy.

20. -Lord-Vader-

-Lord-Vader- Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2003
    Lord Nyax/Irek Ismaren seemed somewhat insane after the experimentation. Of course, he couldn't exactly communicate and he didn't understand everything that was happening, but he definately seemed to be out of his mind, especially towards the very end when he didn't even recognize or care that he was being attacked by the Jedi.

21. StrongJedi

StrongJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2002
    I think that Treast Kre'Fey might get there by the end of he NJO. doing stuff like killing Vong babies.

22. Gotterdammerung

Gotterdammerung Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Kre'fey isn't insane, he just wants to kill every last Yuuzhan Vong out there. I'm sure plenty of people out in the GFFA feel the same way as he does.

Joruus C'Baoth is noticeably insane and unstable.

Palpatine's more of a Cyric-type figure (for those of you familiar with Faerun) since he's a megalomaniac who believes himself the pinnacle of existence. Not a bad life to lead, eh?

23. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    Palpatine might not have been insane before Vader tossed him down that shaft, but I would argue that his post-ROTJ clones grew more and more deranged each time he died.

24. RikDuel_of_the_fates

RikDuel_of_the_fates Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2002
    but he (Irek/Nyax) definately seemed to be out of his mind.
    By the time he was Nyax, he barely had a mind left to be out of.
    M.

25. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "Val: Yeah, I've always maintained that the "insanity" quick fix wouldn't have been necessary if K.W. Jeter had just done his research and read Of Possible Futures."

Oddly enough K.W. Jeter was more in line with early zuckuss shown in older comics, and it was "of possible futures" altered him. But no one seems to remember those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.