main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are there any EU characters considered insane?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The_Becoming, Mar 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    Either way, openly insulting Chewbacca in front of Han is not a sign of a stable mentality - it goes against every survival instinct a creature should have.

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Well again you have to actually understand the trandoshan culture, trandoshans actually hunt wookiees. Trandoshans are wookiees predators, so bossk was only following his species cultural way of life. So it had nothing to do with mental state, but rather cultural state.

3. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    I know that Valiento, and IIRC, it happened after Chewie was killed. Which is why I said precisely what I said. Even allowing for the fact that Trandoshans hunt Wookiees, insulting Chewbacca with-in earshot of Han, who was probably still grief-stricken at his friend's death, would not be the sanest of actions. ;) :p

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Good topic!

Anyone mention Drub McCrumb's temporary psycho-hullicinations?

Mentally unstable characters are a blast to write. Their mental thoughts, paranoid emotions, and misaligned perceptions make for interesting and deeper character depths.

SW novels are missing three essential and rarely-used tools for great story flow: clowns or stage magicians, news reporters, and genuinely mad characters!

5. snarf5181

snarf5181 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 18, 2002
    Well, we have C'Boath, Halla, and there must've been a clown somewhere.

6. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "I know that Valiento, and IIRC, it happened after Chewie was killed. Which is why I said precisely what I said. Even allowing for the fact that Trandoshans hunt Wookiees, insulting Chewbacca with-in earshot of Han, who was probably still grief-stricken at his friend's death, would not be the sanest of actions."

Well, technically Trandoshans are higher on the food chain above humans, IIRC, so it's within their species character to insult wookies alive or dead, and even insult humans if they got the chance as well(in anycase trandoshans have more strength than humans, considering that they can take out a wookie). So insulting chewie around han who was a weak human(relative to average trandoshan strength) in his eyes would have been within trandoshan character. Just because Han happened to have a sucker punch up his sleeve and years of experiance had nothing to do with Bossks sanity, as bossk was just following average trandoshan nature.

"clowns or stage magicians"

There was a clown walking the streets of tatooine in TPM, iirc. There has been stage magicians in at least two stories already, one of the GODV books, and one of the Boba Fett comics.

7. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    No, no, proper books, not stuff like GODV or the young Boba series. The mainstream adult novels.

Rather than another ship captain, bridge admiral or fighter pilot, you could have news reporters! They're snoopy, persistent, and worse than a sting bite on your---(cough, cough)

News reporters have contacts all over, and ways of slipping themselves through security and cracks to get the info they need. They can be the perfect civilian Intelligence spies you never expect, like the Ryn hited in Remnant are becoming.

Well . . . doesn't hurt to think creatively, does it?

8. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    If they did reporter novels, Cindel Towani could get her own series! :D

Seriously, though. I wouldn't buy a book about reporters. Those mother ******* aren't getting my money, and neither are authors too lazy to write characters with real business to take care of. Maybe they could do a book with a reporter as a bad guy, but never the protaganist.

9. Master_DuSai

Master_DuSai Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2002
    None are psychopathic in the slasher film sort-of way. Other than Joruus C'Both, that Ismaran lady, and some Imperial Admirals I don't know any that are clinically insane.

You could make cases for anyone who falls to the dark side, but especially Kueller from The New Rebellion.

Also, Borsk Fey'la was delusional to the point that he needed to be locked up.(that could just be a Bothan species trait)

Tahiri is currently going through long-term post-mortum depression and post tramatic stress disorder due to her time with the Vong shapers and Anakin's untimely death.

I'm sure there are many more.

10. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    PTSD is so impersonal. We should return to shell shock.

11. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    R10, Cindel Towani rings a bell. Mentioned in Tyrant's Test, right?

It'd be great to have some civilian characters like reporters. You notice, there aren't any bounty hunters anymore. Only for the prequel and classic era.

12. snarf5181

snarf5181 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 18, 2002
    I don't see whats so bad about reporters, Ten. As far as insane, Qorl always seemed a bit off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.