main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are there any female Stormtroopers?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Jan 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    I just had this thought... are there any female stormtroopers?

Yes, I know that the Empire had an anti-female bias, however, that did not stop the likes of Daala, Leonia Tavira, Mara Jade, etc... rising through the ranks of the upper echelon.

However, what about the lower ranks, the grunts? Were there any female stormtroopers?

2. Princess_Liar

Princess_Liar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    Interesting point. The armour seems specifically made to accomodate a humanoid male, so I'm leaning towards no.

3. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    But the women could just tape their breasts back like Carrie Fisher did in ANH!

4. Jedi_Corran_Horn

Jedi_Corran_Horn Jedi Youngling

Sep 29, 2003
    Well. I'm not too sure but I don't think any of those other women ever served as storm troopers before they started gaining rank so I would be leaning toward no as well because usually don't most troops go through stormtrooper before they get higher in the Empire?

5. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    It wouldn't surprise me if there were any female storm troopers.

6. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Hmm... I think that this is a good idea for a story!

Actually, you know how Boba Fett is a clone of Jango Fett... don't they need a female to create a clone? Ie: sperm and an egg? So if Jango is the father, then who is the mother?!?!?!?!?

7. JoruusCbaoth

JoruusCbaoth Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    I tend to think Boba is merely a copy of the original, posessing the exact same DNA as his "father".

Though as for a female stormtrooper, the only reason female combat troops are even being experimented with in the modern world is due to political mandate, it has NOTHING to do with ability. I like women as much as the next guy, but if I were in a squad with one, I'd want her to be on as many steroids as possible so she could keep up. The average Army grunt on patrol has to drag an extra fifty to one hundred pounds of gear, and may often be expected to drag their wounded squadmates to safety, something that the average 130 pound woman simply isn't capable of. Last I checked, the all-time record best shooter at Parris Island (one of the primary Marine Corps training depots in the United States) is female, but I'm willing to bet that in combat, her squadmates would trade that for muscle mass any day, so the other 8 men don't have to carry extra weight to make up.

The Empire was never known for equality in gender relations, nor were they known for using the military as a testbed for social experiments.

8. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
      Jedi Master: I am the Jedi King, leader of the armies of Light. I am the Chosen One who will bring balance to the Force. No MAN may kill me...

Stormtrooper: (pulls off her helmet, revealing that she's a woman): I am no man. (Stabs him in the head, killing him).

9. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Hehe! ;)

Very witty! :)

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Actually, you know how Boba Fett is a clone of Jango Fett... don't they need a female to create a clone?<<

Nope- just DNA samples upon which they replicate.

Unless you place a cloned embryo into a female to carry it to birth, but Kaminoa nd Spaarti systems are more along the lines of the "test tube baby" technique.

11. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Counterpoint Jorus, in a world of Mmnenonic drugs and alien species, the same can be said of male humans as soldiers instead of wookies

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    All cadets, stormtrooper or otherwise, go through boot camp at the same time, so since the women do it (we know) for flight school, there's no reason there can't be women stormtroopers...

13. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I doubt there were any female Stormies during the Emperor's reign. However that might've changed after the Emperor and Thrawn were terminated.

14. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Okay, so when is someone gonna post the pic of that gal in armor from Celebration 2? :p

BTW, they filled the gaps in Jango's genes with frog DNA. ;)

15. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    All cadets, stormtrooper or otherwise, go through boot camp at the same time, so since the women do it (we know) for flight school, there's no reason there can't be women stormtroopers...

*recalls the boot camp scenes from Starship Troopers*

Very interesting theory too, but I think all stormies are guys.

16. Darth_Arthas

Darth_Arthas Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2002
    JoruusCbaoth said;
    "the only reason female combat troops are even being experimented with in the modern world is due to political mandate, it has NOTHING to do with ability. I like women as much as the next guy, but if I were in a squad with one, I'd want her to be on as many steroids as possible so she could keep up. The average Army grunt on patrol has to drag an extra fifty to one hundred pounds of gear, and may often be expected to drag their wounded squadmates to safety, something that the average 130 pound woman simply isn't capable of. Last I checked, the all-time record best shooter at Parris Island (one of the primary Marine Corps training depots in the United States) is female, but I'm willing to bet that in combat, her squadmates would trade that for muscle mass any day, so the other 8 men don't have to carry extra weight to make up."

Ending gender inequity in military
    By Bryan Maxwell
    Cavalier Daily Columnist
    WE KEEP hearing about how our new war on terrorism is going to be radically different from anything we've ever seen, that it's going to redefine modern warfare. If so much is going to change, then now is a good time to make a crucial change in our military: moving toward gender equity.

We will be hypocrites if the forces we send out to defend freedom and equality remain prejudiced against women. It is time to include women in the Selective Service registration for a national draft, which is the first step toward eliminating the blanket prohibition on ground combat positions for women. We should eliminate discriminatory policies that exclude women from certain positions based solely on their gender and not on their individual abilities.

I'm not suggesting that women and men have no differences, or that there are not times and places when some women shouldn't be put in certain situations. But there are differences within any group of men, and there are situations that certain men shouldn't be in. Not all men, simply by virtue of being men, are suited for any and every position in the military. Decisions about which men are suited for which position often are made on a case-by-case basis; it should it be the same for women.

In 1993, Congress repealed all remaining statutory restrictions on assigning women to combat posts, and since then women have been able to serve as combat aviators and on non-submarine combat ships. Even now, there is no law preventing women from serving in ground combat or submarines; however, Department of Defense policy does.

Today, while women can serve in almost all positions in the Air Force and Navy, 38 percent of positions in the Marine Corps and 33 percent of positions in the Army are closed to women as a matter of national policy, according to the U.S. Department of Defense. Individual commanding officers do not have discretion about whether a given woman would do a better job than a given man. It's not even an option.

Many traditional arguments against women serving in combat are legitimate concerns, but they're not reasons why women as a group are unfit to serve in any combat job; they're reasons why certain women wouldn't be good candidates for certain positions.

For instance, the most common argument is that women are physically weaker than men; therefore, military effectiveness would suffer if women were allowed in combat positions. Women wouldn't be as able to carry heavy equipment or to fight in hand-to-hand combat against stronger male opponents.

This logic is extremely weak. Many of the positions women are prohibited from serving in are not ones in which muscle mass translates to success. The Army uses a probability model to assess which units have a high likelihood of becoming engaged in "direct combat," which has a much broader definition than brute physical combat. Plus, the nature of warfare - as we have heard so frequently - is changing. Manual labor and hand-to-hand combat give way to counterintelligence, surveillance and technological and biological weapons.

Furthermore, the biological argument relies on

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Arthas -- what does that have to do with anything in the GFFA?

18. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    The only thing I can think of is some kind of connection between the strength of males on Earth and the strength of males in the GFFA. Other than that I'm at a loss.

Though what that has to do with anything is beyond me. Especially since the EU has stated on numerous occasions that females do indeed hold the front line. So I don't see the relevance to the above column.

19. Darth_Arthas

Darth_Arthas Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2002
    What you can't tell I was replying to the claim that JoruusCbaoth made in his post?

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Ah, okay... there was just nothing linking it to the GFFA. :)

21. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I seem to remember a female storm trooper armor out there somewhere...

22. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    Food for thought...

I recently read a novel that featured a scenario where China invaded the United States. In order to counteract the massive population advantage of the Chinese, American women were drafted. Pretty much the idea was, if you could carry a gun, you were expected to fight. It was that or be overwhelmed and conquered. The main character was a female infantry soldier who was a star soccer player in high school.

23. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    What novel was that, 4LOM?

24. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    I believe that it is called 'Invasion' by Eric L. Harry. Pretty intense book, freaked me out, that's for sure.

25. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.