main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are there any good 256 MB PCI graphics cards?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Yuuzhanvong1000, Feb 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yuuzhanvong1000

Yuuzhanvong1000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2002
    I just learned my system has no AGP, so how good is PCI, and what's the best 128-256 card? Do they support hardware T&L?

2. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    PCI is inferior to AGP no matter how you slice. There are no 256 MB PCI Graphics Card. There may be 128 MB PCI Graphics Card.

Your best bet is to browse ati.com and nvidia.com and check their PCI selections. Once you have a listing, come back here and we can give you our opinions on them.

¤Night

3. MasterKingsama

MasterKingsama Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2003
    hate to say this, but it might be time for a motherboard up grade...

4. Yuuzhanvong1000

Apr 10, 2002
    Actually I looked and there is a 128 PCI card, it uses the Geforce FX 5200 chipset from PNY at amazon.com. Is it any good? (I saw a 256 MB somewhere called the asylum, but I can't find it again, does anyone know about it?)

5. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Well... it'd probably be the best 128MB PCI graphics card out there... but then again, it's probably the ONLY 128MB PCI graphics card. PNY are a good brand, and a FX5200 is certainly better than the Geforce 4 MMX. But, really, if you want to spend money on a good 128/256MB Graphics card, it would be more inteligent to get a new motherboard with 8x/4x AGP.

Actually, what Mobo are you running on at the moment?

6. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Check ATI,they have a nice selection of Graphic cards.Pending on your motherboard compatitbility and cabapility.

I have always stuck with Radeon Cards,though like I said you might want to try others depending on your computer. Radeon has always been good for me though,no complaints here.

The only problem I currently have on my PC is with KOTOR. I need a Graphics card and or Porcessor upgrade.

Me - $$$ = :( Me
    But
    Me + GOOD Running KOTOR = :D Me

7. Yuuzhanvong1000

Apr 10, 2002
    A mobo upgrade is out of the question because I got the system for Christmas. I looked inside and there are 3 PCI slots (one occupied by the modem), and a fourth removable panel on the back. I lines up with something that kind of looks like an AGP,(furtherforward, closest to processor, etc.) but is is occupied by a plug with mant wires coming from it that seem to go to the power/Fan. My system has Intel Integrated AGP (according to the sticker on the front). Is this for the onboard graphics, or is it the way power is provided?

8. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Can you take a picture of the inside PC so we might be able to help you more?

¤Night

9. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Or check the specs in the technical manual?

10. Yuuzhanvong1000

Apr 10, 2002
    I found the card I was talking about, does anyone have it or have an opinion?

http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=0&Ntt=308486&Ntk=All&Nty=1&D=308486

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.