main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are there any Palpatine novels?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JMRycheBa-Gai, May 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMRycheBa-Gai

JMRycheBa-Gai Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2004
    I mean are there any novels that dicuss his history before TPM. I'm not much into EU as much as some are (although I do like it), so I don't know. I figured here would be the quickest and best way to find out.

Thanks.

2. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    nope, thats why we all sit and speculate about how old he is.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Though it doesn't go into him as Darth Sidious much, Cloak of Deception is a good political thriller that features Senator Palpatine heavily and sets up elements of TPM quite well.

4. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    LoE talks about his past I believe( havnt read it myself) but none ABOUT it

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    LoE vaguely mentions it. ROTS mentions some stuff too.

I imagine the reason that that we have not been seen any novels about his past is because there's a strict lock and key on the PT stuff. As soon as ROTS is out, I believe we'll soon see some books covering that.

Either that, or we'll never know. Apparently Lucas told Stover a TON of stuff about Palpatine's backstory, and then told him not to actually tell anyone because he didn't want the audience to actually know all of that.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    jedimaster203 posted on 5/10/05 1:27pm
    nope, thats why we all sit and speculate about how old he is.
    [hr][/blockquote]

He's in in his 60's in RotS.

7. Sith-Pirate

Sith-Pirate Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2001
    Geesh, that means he was near 90 in ROTJ.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Just under ninety, really. Which isn't all that old, for the GFFA.

9. Sith-Pirate

Sith-Pirate Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2001
    That's true. He looked about 120 though.

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    (DE/DESB reference)

11. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Why do people keep saying that humans live 200 years in the GFFa, when it just is not true?

We had to not quite human females be old (don't tell me that thing Vima Da Boda was human), but humans are just like humans here. They have white hair and wrinkles in their sixties. That is a sign that the body is aging. Yoda looks the same as Obi-wan in ESB,. That means they have both reached the end of their species lives.

Why do humans have to live longer? It makes them more accomplished, not less.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Anyone who knows anything about biology is quite aware that the years have absolutely nothing to do with it. Aging has to do with biochemical processes, not time.

Health, diets, sanitation, and medicine control aging. The human growth hormone controls aging.

It's a fairly simple concept: one would need to observe our own world's history to understand that.

13. LijoT

LijoT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    Why do people keep saying that humans live 200 years in the GFFa, when it just is not true?

Normal people don't live 200 years. Normal humans in the GFFA live upto 80-100, which is their normal lifespan, though there are some who exceed that just as it can be observed in our own world. However, humans who are strong in the force, live upto twice and more as the others (200 is one of the lowest starting points) which is a canon fact, which is quite true as far as Star Wars is concerned.

We had to not quite human females be old (don't tell me that thing Vima Da Boda was human), but humans are just like humans here. They have white hair and wrinkles in their sixties. That is a sign that the body is aging. Yoda looks the same as Obi-wan in ESB,. That means they have both reached the end of their species lives.

Vima Da Boda was quite a human woman regardless of what you think she is. She was merely old and living in garbage, which wouldn't exactly make one attractive looking, and being an old woman doesn't make you non human..just as in the case of Mother Rell..no normal people would refer to old people as "things", except perhaps the villains..

Humans are like humans here - except those who can use the force and are strong in the force, and they have advanced medical (and other) technology.

And not everyone ages the same, and white hair is what they'd get when their in their 80s like Dooku, except in some rare cases. Obi-Wan was hiding as a hermit in a desert wasteland (much like Vima among garbage) and Qui-Gonn who was older than him looked a lot younger..And the most important thing - Their physical appearance have nothing to do with their long life.

As for Palpatine, he aged fast because of the dark side energies he released and was using, as explained in DE and the databank, the dark side of the force was making his body rot.

14. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    Geesh, that means he was near 90 in ROTJ.

well remember... 60 is the new 40. so proportionally, palpatine at 90 is the new 60. looking 120 is really looking the new 80.
    vima-da-boda just needs a healthy diet, a working shower, a gym membership, a network of friends, and access to good health and dental coverage. Nar Shaddaa doesn't seem to have any of that.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'd hesitate using any sort of ratio or taking Allston's quote all that literally. Especially with age, which'd be more of a parametric than anything else.

Incidentally, though, I would not want to go to the gym that Palpy does.

16. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    no kidding, once's he's worked out on the stairmaster, he leaves his dark side sweat on everything.

"that locker room.. strong in the dark side it is. in you must go..."

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    "What's in there?"

Yoda: "You don't want to know."

18. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    towel-snapping vader.

19. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

No, Cloak of Deception is only 1/3 Palpatine, but he has scenes scattered all over.

But while you get insid ehis head, you just go throug the motions. There's little real character. Ditto for that Yoda's pov in Rendezvous.

20. DarthSkeptical

DarthSkeptical Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2001
    The2ndQuest posted on 5/10/05 1:28pm
    Though it doesn't go into him as Darth Sidious much, Cloak of Deception is a good political thriller that features Senator Palpatine heavily and sets up elements of TPM quite well.
    [hr][/blockquote] Unfortunately, [i]Cloak[/i] fails the character of Palpatine and, I think, Padmé in one important respect. It posits that Palpatine was a Senator during King Varuna's time--well prior to Padmé's rise to power--and says that he's, I think improbably, the representative of some three dozen planets. Though a detail that could be easily overlooked, the whole [i]timing[/i] of the book is just wrong, given what we would later discover in Episode II about the nature of being the "Senator from Naboo". I'm of the personal belief that Episode II and III effectively destroy the underpinnings of this book by portraying the position as an appointed office and by suggesting that, by the time of Episode III, he's no longer serving within the time limits of his term. The extrapolation I make from the films, then, is that Palpatine and Amidala's acceptance of the posts they hold in Episode I are more likely to have been contemporaneous. That is to say, he would have been [i]her[/i] appointment to the office, not that of the monarch who preceded her. Because of the method of selection given in Episode II, it seems highly unlikely, as well, that he would have represented 36 worlds, as it is extremely unlikely, especially in the volatile air of the times, that these other worlds would have simply allowed a monarch far away decide their representation for them.

[i]Cloak[/i] was completely unproblematic on this front in 1999, when we didn't have the other pieces of the puzzle in place. But I think now that we have the whole of the prequels in hand, the assumption that Palpatine was already influential in the Senate, somehow just doesn't fit for me. It seems much cleaner to say that she appointed him (making her failure that much more poignant), and that he rose to power as a first-term senator on the back of sympathies for smaller worlds oppressed by powers the Senate could not control under Valorum.

The overall structure of the novel is, however, still valid, and it continues to be an enjoyable read--as long as you believe in your mind it happened a lot closer to the opening crawl of Episode I than is suggested.

21. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    We had to not quite human females be old (don't tell me that thing Vima Da Boda was human), but humans are just like humans here.

Vima was indeed human, not some "not quite human". There was also Mother Rel in Courtship of Princess Leia who was even older than Vima and was also human. The Force makes it possible for humans to live over two years of age, but it's not unheard of in SW for non-Force-users to live to be over a hundred as well. And why not, after all it's becoming more and more common for people here on earth to live well over a hundred years of age. I can remember back in the '80s hearing of someone living to be a hundred and one and everyone making a huge deal about it. Now they make a huge deal when someone reaches a hundred and some odd teen or better. Just last month I read in the paper about some woman celebrating her hundred and twenty-second birthday in this area and she actually looked better than her grand daughter who was in her fifties. Granted, it is still a small population who makes it to be over a hundred, but it is a much greater population doing so than it was tewnety years ago. Twenty years ago just making it into your 90s was a bigger thing than it is today. As time goes by humans live longer and longer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.