main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are there any redeeming qualities to The Crystal Star?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jedi_master_ikrit, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_ikrit

jedi_master_ikrit Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    I read this book years ago shortly after it came out, but I don't remember anything except Waru. I've noticed that the book gets a lot of criticism from people as being one of the worst SW books, so I want to see if anyone has anything good to say about this book. It's bad rap makes me wary of rereading it.

2. Cypher18

Cypher18 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 1, 2001
    Worst.Book.Ever.

3. jedi_master_ikrit

jedi_master_ikrit Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    That's exactly what I mean...

Does no one have even one good word for the book?

4. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I liked Lusa.

The forgotten casualty of SbS :(

5. cooker

cooker Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 8, 2004
    Five people gave it a ten over on the Lit Review Boards.

Then again, 52 people gave it a 1, so take from that what you will.

My favourite review, from the man who said "there's something good in every Star Wars book":

Bib Fortuna, Twi'lek: If I ever was to burn a book, The Crystal Star would be it. It is so horrible, I can't even describe it.

6. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Let's see. First time to my knowledge that we met Xavier(spelling please), one of Han's old girlfriends. One of the rare times we see a Leia and Chewie team (ESB, SotE, and DFR are the the only ones which come to mind at the moment), a rare time we see Artoo not partnered with either Threepio or Luke after the OT. A good storyline. Get to see Leia's personal ship.

7. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Are there any redeeming qualities to The Crystal Star

Yep. It ends. :)

Ok, seriously. I'm going off the top of my head, but I seem to remember liking how Han and Leia were portrayed in this book. I also really liked Lusa and of course she later is used in the YJK books.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I recall people liked the twins portrayals in it.

9. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    We should turn this into a discussion on Lusa and how she was cool. Then thsoe bastards had to go and kill her just because they thought she'd be confused with the Lusa in the Prequels.

Damn them all!

BTW Lusa & Raynor? So so wrong.

Anyways, I felt the Luke and Han portions of it where generally unintelligable, but I actually enjoyed the twins portions of it. They weren't exactly ground breaking or thought provoking but those wily kids got the better of those bad men, awwwww.

10. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    I actually enjoyed the Crystal Star. The way the Solo children were portrayed were the best parts.

11. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    It burns nicely. :)

12. Knight_Wanderer

Knight_Wanderer Jedi Master star 2

Apr 12, 2004
    Yes, it does release a hotter-than-average flame. The reason for this, of course, being that when the book burns actual evil is released.

KW

13. Gaeri

Gaeri Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 12, 2003
    I enjoyed the parts with the kids. Maybe it would have gone off better as a young adult or even children's book instead.

Reading the rest of it was like repeatedly scraping my eyeballs with a frying pan, though.

14. 7-7-7

7-7-7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 15, 2002
    Sure there are redeeming qualities. It provides endless hours of entertainment which can be gleaned from making fun of the book, and it is the source of a million and one Waru jokes.

Its the villiage idiot of Star Wars EU

15. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    I wonder how many laws of quantum mechanics and astrophysics the novel violated?

16. dead_morrison66

dead_morrison66 Jedi Youngling

Jan 30, 2004
    The Crystal Star was THE first Star Wars novel I ever read, way back in sixth grade (I'm a freshman in college now, so do the math). I read it twice; I liked it that much. I haven't read it in years, but I have fond memories of it.

And I always wanted to see Leia's personal ship again (wasn't it called the Alderaan?), but, alas, it never returned.

17. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    it was a good thick book, not one of those 293 page starwars books you read in one day flat... but it was poor quality and Waru... um there is a reason he never showed up in any other star wars books *hides blaster rifle* [face_devil]

18. Stark_Rhavyn

Stark_Rhavyn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2003
    I believe the "Alderaan" appeared again in "The New Rebellion"

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    How can there be any redeeming qualities with Waru's godawfulness eclipsing them?

20. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    Waru is quite possibly the most original concept in a Bantam SW book.. a character from another dimension, a large amorphous block of cheese that you can swim in, and of interesting moral character.. all Waru wants is to go home and to do that, he acts as a benevalent giver and taker of life, and gets used by the evil Hethrir. perhaps Waru was just a tad too original for the SW universe.

i did like how the twins were portrayed.. those poor myrmins that Jacen used to trick their captors!

21. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Waru is essentially a star wars equivalent to a Lovecraftian elder god. Only marvel, Ewok cartoons, and a few WEG modules used similar concepts in earlier stories as well. For instance Otherspace, with its its strange charon cult of death.

22. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    It burns well 'cause there's a leprechaun over Ralph Wiggum's shoulder telling him to. :p

23. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
  24. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    The first time I read it in 7th grade, I didn't think it was that awful. I enjoyed the parts with the Solo kids, thought they were really nifty. Lusa rocked major, as well.

I reread it again a few years later, realized why everyone thought it was so awful. It's one of the few books I will probably not be adding to my collection, and if I do, it'll only be to say I have them all. :p

25. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    Didn't Luke get some closure to his relationship with Callista in this book? That could be considered a good thing.

I haven't read any of the Bantam-era books in a long time, so I could be mistaken, but I thought it happened in Crystal Star.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.