main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are there ANY reference to homosexuality in the EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Arabwel, Oct 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arabwel

Arabwel Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2001
    Just a thought... Only one I've found is the "defile their sons and daughters" from WG by Mike Stackpole. It refer's to Imps' fears on what the Reps will do after theyt got Coruscant.

Are there any others? And if there aren't, then we should sign a petition to send to GL and DelRey that this would not continue.

GFFA can't be completely heterosexual, can it?

I do not wish to offend anyone. If this offends you, then stay out of the thread!

Ara
    (Bisexual and proud of it! Getting odd ideas and sniffling"

2. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    I don't think LFL would stray into such a sensitive issue. Best to keep everyone heterosexual just to be on the safe side.

EDIT: And I think the Imps meant is they'd interbreed with the Rebels, thus making them 'impure' or something.

3. lejmar_faldor_uk

lejmar_faldor_uk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 20, 2000
    I havent read them myself but i remember reading on the boards that there was a gay officer in the han solo trilogy

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2001
    There is? And I didn't notice? Had to be the fact that I read the trilogy during a 46-hour wakeywakey reading all the new books I bought...

*Skitters to read them again*
    If you know who is the SW author who apparently loves the word skitter, you get bonus points.

Ara
    (Sniffling and skipping math... I shouldn't be doing none of them... bad!)

5. Xizora

Xizora Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 17, 1999
    There is an extremely vague reference in one of the books. I do not remember what book it was or what exactly was said, but I remember that it was an officer of some sort. (maybe a mechanic or something) I don't remember what book. I remember thinking that something was odd about a sentence, so I reread it about 30 times trying to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. So, I asked my best friend who is gay, what he thought it meant, and he told me it was a vague, outdated reference to gay men. I wish I could remember what it was.

I think it was purposely written so that the younger audience wouldn't really catch it. I try to find it again, and if/when I do, I'll let you know.

6. Aldaric_Brandl

Aldaric_Brandl Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 31, 2000
    Alas, I think that the publishers may feel that the target audience of the SW books includes age groups somehow considered too "young" for any references to alternative sexualities. As if, of course, any reference to homosexuality would be somehow more "corrupting" than the steamy little Leia-Xizor scene in Shadows of the Empire.

This is just a guess but I'm sure it isn't too far off the mark :)

Ah well...it ain't a perfect world.

7. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Ho, and there's Tavira and Timmser, the female pirate in I, Jedi. She says (about Tavira's 'questions') : "I answered them and all I got was a headache." You can interpret it how you wish to interpret it... But Tavira's obviously quite... hum... nymphomaniac, so...

8. Aldaric_Brandl

Mar 31, 2000
    Oh and the "vague reference" mentioned earlier was I believe of Moff Sarn Shild in The Hutt Gambit. I can't remember the exact quote but it goes something like "his tastes did not extend to human women".

Its pretty vague and could also be taken to mean that Sarnie-boy was a xenophile.

9. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    'Steamy' ? Hum... Yesssssssssss !!! :D

10. Aldaric_Brandl

Mar 31, 2000
    Gotta love them pheromones.

If you're humanoid at least.

Star Wars novels tend to stay clear of 'controversial' issues. That, I've noticed tends to be a bit of a problem with some American publishers.

Simon R. Green a British writer who writes incredibly good, incredibly dark sci-fi/fantasy does a much, much better job because he's not afraid to risk shocking some people.

11. MaceWinducannotdie

MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    What DelRey misses a lot of fanfic picks up.

There is one other possible reference. In Ruin, if Chalco's profession is what I always interpreted it to be, he may not restrict himself to one gender.

12. Aldaric_Brandl

Mar 31, 2000
    True but theres nothing like official legitimacy.

13. suncrusherX

suncrusherX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2001
    aldaric brandl-I thought flynn was hillarious. and I'm a homophobe. I could've gone without his daydreaming of his old yodeling companion though...

I think we will find out a certain solo is homosexual very soon :)

14. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    There's Fenn and Ghitsa, those two female smugglers from one of the Tales books(and a short story in Gamer). They always seemed a little more close than mere friends, to me.

15. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    the two in the Kyp story?

16. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    'Are there ANY reference to homosexuality in the EU?'

[Amidala]I hope not[/Amidala]

17. Emiaj

Emiaj Jedi Master star 2

Jun 10, 2001
    Vergere and Elan. Its blatantly written in Hero's Trial:

Showolter: And the other is what-pet or partner?
    Saychel: Alittle of both.

18. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    Not really. "Partner" has many more meanings than life partner or sexual partner.

I'd love to see gay characters in the Star Wars EU. There'd be no need to be any more blatantly sexual with gay characters than with straight characters. I'm bemused that interspecies relationships are accepted with nary a comment among fans, whereas, by all appearances, same-sex relationships or gay characters would be completely unacceptable to some individuals.

19. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    I wouldn't say that there is anything blatantly obvious in the EU (unlike scores of fanfic that is nothing but [face_plain]), but the biggest impression I got of any possibility was Sarn Shild in The Hutt Gambit, as mentioned earlier. It *could* be that he likes *exotic* (non human) women, but I'm more inclined to say not, as Lando remarks to Han in Rebel Dawn after he meets Bria Tharen that the Moff's taste in sexual was "odd."

~*~Bria

20. yoda_does_dallas

yoda_does_dallas Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2001
    I do´t think it´s relevant. It would be like me complaining that there aren´t any Latinos in the EU.

21. jastermereel

jastermereel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 1998
    Although...getting off the topic...that is an interesting point......With the exception of Lando...no one of a non-cacasion ethnicity is shown...and Lando's is (correct me if i'm wrong) never mentioned......were someone to pick of the BFC or any other book with Lando in it they would have no reason to belive him any different visualy than anyone else......All in all...SW has a very homogenious group of people......perhaps this should be rectified...i'm not saying that suddenly authors should start introducing characters just to add diversity...but...it does seem that something could be done for it...

22. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    I think one of the girls in Wraith Squadron(Shalla Nelprin, I think) is described as "dark skinned". I always pictured her as black. I think dark skinned is what they call black peolle in the GFFa, because "black" doesn't really make sense(most 'black' people actually have brown skin), and "African-American" doesn't work, because there is no Africa, nor America, in GFFA.

23. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Actually there is one hispanic character. Joe Corroney drew Maarek Stele in Gamer # 5 as a hispanic looking character.

24. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Hey, there's the black and latino Cloud City guards. They were important enough to get action figures made of themselves. :)

Besides Lando, there's also Panaka.

And the award for "appeasing the smallest minorty" goes to Lucas for hiring a Maori to be what is most likely to be a sure fan-favorite character in AotC.

25. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Yeah, actually, there are a lot of dark skinned characters in the SW galaxy. Just go to Soccorro!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.