main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are there any things in SW that you intentionally mispronounce?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by NorCalBirdz, Jul 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    Ever read a character or ship name a certain way and then not notice that there's actually another letter in there that you never noticed until months later?

Tantive IV--When I first started getting into Star Wars I didn't yet understand roman numerals, and I also never noticed the "I" in "IV". To this day I still call the ship "The Tantive Vee"

Cilghal-Never noticed that first "l" until recently. I prefer to call her "See-ghal" rather than "Cil-ghal" now.

2. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    This happens to me all the time ;) In fact, I just found another yesterday. I was reading ROTS, and someone lists some of the Senators on the petition of 2000. One of which was Garm bel Iblis. At first I though "Cool! Nice connection, Stover!" But then I noticed his last name. "Iblis." I had never noticed the "L" in his name and have, and always will pernounce it "Ibis." ;)

Also I used to pernounce Iella "Ileah" That's a short "i" in front of the name "Leah" Now I sometimes read it that way, sometimes Iella ;) Just goes to show that I sould read all the letters in someone's name :p

3. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Pellaeon- Pay-le-on
    Joruus C'baoth- Joruus C'blahth
    Warlord Zsinj- V-singe
    Talon Karrde- Talon Ca-rod
    Noghri- Noghrim
    Sidious- Palpatine :p

4. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    I've always pronounced Cilghal "Clig-hal" and Kashyyyk "Cash-ick".

5. Sith-Pirate

Sith-Pirate Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2001
    Exar Kun "like gun"

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    "Kun not Koon" and "Loomy-ah not Loo-maya" are the only pronounciations I stick to that seem to not be the official pronounciations.

7. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Trandoshan. I said TRAND-o-shan when it's apparently trand-O-shan. I also pronounced Kashyyk as Kash-ick not Kash-eek, and sometimes I pronounce Han like Lando says it.

8. Fist_of_Mandalore

Fist_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2005
    In the game Republic Commando Kashyyk is pronounced Cash-ick. so thats how I pronounce it. And the ones T2Q said, I say those ones that way too.

9. Jaina_Rocks160

Jaina_Rocks160 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2003
    ~~*JESUS LOVES YOU*~~

I also mispronounced Kashyyyk as you all did. When I heard Mace Windu call it "Kasheek" I was suprised. But then "y" is such a weird letter.
    I posed a question to the Kyp fan club, and I'll ask you all, too. How do you pronounce his name??? It's driving me nuts!
    Also Jaina...how have you all pronounced her name?

~*~*~

10. Fist_of_Mandalore

Mar 31, 2005
    Jaina=jay-na.
    Kyp=kip.

11. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    Coruscant = Coruskant

12. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    I don't pronounce Boba as 'Boh-ba', because it always sounds too geeky when I say it the correct way. ;)

13. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    I tend to pronounce Sidious as Sidious, not Sidias as it is pronounced in the movies. Kashyyk = Kashiik.

14. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Jaina=jay-na.
    Kyp=kip.

Wait, we're not supposed to pronounce them like that? What is the correct pronounciation then?

15. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Qrygg. I usually pronounce it Qyrgg.

16. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    I used to mispronounce Coruscant (until I saw TPM and fell in love with QGJ's pronunciation)

I pronounced it Cor-su-cant
    Liam Neeson pronounced it Coor-u-sahnt
    The right way is Cor-u-sahnt

17. Nemuro

Nemuro Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2003
    My mistakes:

Kashyyyk = Kya-sheek
    Coruscant = Kiu-ru-zant
    Lusankya = Lyu-sank-yia

18. Fist_of_Mandalore

Mar 31, 2005
    No, those are the right ways, sorry for the confusison.

19. Alynn

Alynn Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 27, 2005
    It's Coruscant and Kashyyyk that I never remember to pronounce the official way. Spending my day job teaching kids phonetics makes it near impossible for me to think of anything but "Cor-ru-scant" with that second "C" hard. I could never really figure out how to pronounce three straight y's, so I ended up saying something closer to "Kash-yick". I never bothered with things like Zsinj or C'Baoth. Is that like "K-Bay-oth" or "Suh-Bay-oth" or "C'Both" or "Sboth" or what? Never even tried to say those outloud.

20. Fist_of_Mandalore

Mar 31, 2005
    Zsinj I just pronounce as Zin-j. C'Baoth I pronounce as Kuh-Bay-oth.

21. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Corran. I've always put the emphasis on the latter syllable. I think the correct way is goofy. It ends up sounding like Corn Horn.

And according to Obi-Wan, I've been saying "Vos" wrong. I've always said it with a long O, (like, rhymes with "Bose"). But the way he says it, it rhymes with "boss". (I don't see how you can get that sound with only one S, though.)

22. Lyrienne

Lyrienne Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2004
    I've pronounced Jacen as "Jake-in" for years. Could never bring myself to change it, even after I realized I was saying it wrong.

23. Xanakh

Xanakh Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 1, 2002
    I always pronounced Kashyyyk the way Mace does. Nothing different ever occured to me.

As for Qrygg, I rhyme it with Cliegg. Not sure if that's the correct pronunciation.

Coruscant was always Cor-oos-kunt (where the u is just the upside down e, or schwa... don't know the ASCII code for that symbol, which as a linguistics student I probably should :S) for me. My friend Jon and I still pronounce it that way, which we've been doing since we were 11 and started reading the Young Jedi Knights books.

There was this dumb kid in my acting class who pronounced Iella as 'I-o-ella'.

24. darth_Boba

darth_Boba Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    I still usually pronounce "Vos" with a long "o", and sometimes Kashyyyk as "Kash-ick".

25. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Up until the movies came out alot of things spelled out I always misprounced.

Coruscant, Kashyyyk, a few others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.