main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are there any things in SW that you intentionally mispronounce?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by NorCalBirdz, Jul 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wookieepedian1

wookieepedian1 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2005
    I tend to pronounce Clighal as Cliegg-hall.

"Name's Cliegg-hall, Shmi's my wife." :p

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I will always say Coruskant regardless, and bet you all did before TPM too.

3. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Ackbar_Van_Gungan Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Whenever I read the words Mara Jade I pronounce them hei-nous bit-ch. I just can't help it.

-The Rebel Gungan

4. MaceWinducannotdie

MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    Coruskant.

Palpateyene, even though as an American I should say Palpateen.

C'Bay-oth.

Drizzit.

5. LastOneStanding

LastOneStanding Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    Reminds me of an old joke...

What does a group of classical singers say when you ask them to perform "Rock-and-Roll?"

Answer: "Chorus Can't (Coruscant)!!!"

6. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Very interesting topic. Has anyone so far tried to figure if the mispronunciations are country specific? Like, their own spelling is doing them favours (Or not?)
    In Germany I hear a lot of Koruskant and it' JEdee over (here as well Like levvees).
    My main problem is switching pronunciation. In general I do a pretty well German/English proninciation cross-over and it is amazing how well that works. In German books Kun automatically reads Koon..... (anyone ever read the appendices of LotR in both Languages Tuk/Took switchover)
    Usually I pronounce "y" as "ü", but how to put that into English???? Unfortunaltey in the official pronunciation Kyp turns into Dutch chicken. [face_tired]
    I say Palps incorrect (case of overcorrection *sigh*)

My theory is that pronunciation close to old Latin (correct Latin pronunciation) is exotc for mst writes (as arw Ys...) So they use them to add flavour and I don't even get it since German is rather close to Latin.

Note on Zahns names, he just like toungue-twisters, I never even try to get them right. I wait for him to say them first. :p (Come on Tim, say some of teh Conqueror's names [face_laugh] )

7. gemking

gemking Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2005
    before the film came out I used to pronounce Amidala as Amid ala but swiftly changed it to the correct pronounciation after I was laughed at.

Used to say Coruskant but now struggle with myself to say it as per film pronounciation
    Cighal instead of Cilghal
    Tasavong Lah instead of Tsavong Lah
    Myrkr as Murker & Ysalamari as yuhsalamiri

At the risk of sounding big headed, having read through everyone else's comments, I generally don't have a problem with the pronounciations. I do think however, that most of the harder words are open to interpretation & people should pronounce them however they feel comfortable doing so.

8. Master-Anakin-Solo

Master-Anakin-Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2002
    I always made the mitsake with Jacen, and I tend to pronounced as Jaicen.[face_blush]

And Coruscant will always be Coruskant for me as well:p

And also I used to pronounce Leia as Le-a

9. wookieepedian1

wookieepedian1 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2005
    And Coruscant for me is "Cor-ru-sant".

10. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I heard a tape say Jason, but that sounds too [face_flag] and unexotic for me. I'm not adverse to something more exotic, so I say Jassen. I've met a Jaina in Warcraft 3. Taller, too. I've yet to see a single Star Wars story or source not say Mothma's full name each time.

11. Reecee

Reecee Jedi Master star 3

Feb 14, 2004
    Kashyyyk. I don't like 'Kasheek' and have always said 'Cash-ee-ick'

12. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    I see I'm still the only one to ever dyslexically mispronounce Coruscant as Core-su-cant.

Is it At-At or A-T-A-T? Not that I care because I'll always pronounce the individually because: A) it sounds better that way and B) what would you do with AT-ST or -PT or -MT?

13. tomandshell

tomandshell Jedi Youngling

Mar 31, 2005
    Neimoidian: I always said NUH-moy-dee-uhn. Then I noticed that it was spelled NEI... Maybe it should be pronouced NAY-moy-dee-uhn or NEE-moy-dee-uhn, but I keep saying NUH-moy-dee-uhn. I also say Princess LAY-uh even though General Dodonna clearly pronounces it LEE-uh. And to me, C'Baoth was always pronouced kuh-BOWTH.

14. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I used to think that Jaina's name was Jania. For the longest time I read it like that until half way thru the NJO I actually looked at the name.

Now I say it the right way for sure because my wife really REALLY wanted Jaina to be our daughters name.

Yeah so my little girl's name is Jaina now and the funny thing is my wife HATES Star Wars!!

15. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Kun is always going to be Kun to me, not none of this Koon rubbish. I also use the old way of saying Lumiya instead of the new "Lew-maya" or however it was said at C3.

16. Commander5052

Commander5052 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    Aalya Secura. I watched Clone Wars 21, and heard Mundi say Aayla, and I thought he made a mistake. Then I got Republic 68,Armor, and saw Aalya. That was when I saw my mistake

17. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    Xanatos. For me was
    Zan-tos
    Like Pan with a Z. Then the tos the o as in just the letter o. tos.

Also aalya Secura.
    Was always and still is ayala

18. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>Is it At-At or A-T-A-T? Not that I care because I'll always pronounce the individually because: A) it sounds better that way and B) what would you do with AT-ST or -PT or -MT?<<<

I use the letter designation (a-t-a-t) but I've heard it both ways---officially. At least one video game uses the "at-at" version, but the individual letter version just sounds better (and is probably the true in-universe version.)

"At-at" sounds like you're stuttering to say attack. :p

I always used to mispronounce Executor as Execute-or, until I heard its proper form used in the Behind the Magic CD.

19. TheDave

TheDave Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 26, 2004
    My friends always pronounce his name "bob-ah". That annoys me so much.

20. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I once asked the Executor's pronounciation (executioner or executive). Had I known Val's response to me would have been, oh I'd have asked sooner!

21. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    Huh it isn't Execute-er? Thats what I thought it was.

22. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004

Same here

23. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    It's Ex-EH-cyu-tor (as best as I can describe it).

24. Alynn

Alynn Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 27, 2005

Yup, as in "one who carries out orders" execute, as opposed to "one who kills people" execute.

25. gemking

gemking Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2005
    In the films Luke calls Leia "Lay-uh" & so does Han so thats how I always pronounce it. I am sure that they changed the pronounciation of Boba Fett in the PT. In ROTJ Han definitely calls him Boba Fett not Bohba Fett! I hate all this Bohba Fett rubbish - it'll always be Boba Fett for me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.