"...are there no tears in the desert?" -- sequel to "ITSOTQ" (and "Cold&quo

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Cindé of Naboo, Aug 5, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BelleBayard TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 4
    Appropriately tear-jerking, Cinde. I just *know* Obi-Wan will give her the best for the last few months of her life. No wonder he had such a sober, sad mien in ANH... Then to lose his only blood relatives to the minions of his former pupil... Argh! Talk about "our lot in life!" C-3PO had it right, except it does seem it's everybody's lot in the SW saga.
  2. Cindé of Naboo Jedi Master

star 4
    <Enters rather timidly, carrying a very large box of tissues> Kleenex, anyone? I could use some myself...

I'm sad, posting such a sad story, yet I have to admit I'm also flattered that it affected people so much. Eh, maybe I'm just shamelessly tugging at everyone's heartstrings. :( ;) Oh, well. I just watched the original trilogy this week, and everything in it seemed slightly sadder, having written this. But I'm not merciless -- I hope. There are some moments of happy stuff. So, here goes:

------------------------
    Chapter 5: Wedding Day and Wedding Night

The ceremony took place just ten minutes later. Sabé couldn't have imagined anything being so simple. Obi-Wan dug out an old volume of ceremonial speeches and read the section for
    weddings. She watched him with a combination of amusement and solemnity as he seemed to address
    an imaginary audience and proclaimed himself the husband of Sabé and Sabé the wife of Obi-Wan.
    Then, with his left hand, he placed her hand on his right hand and intoned, ?May the Force bless this marriage.?

?Is that it?? Sabé wondered. She felt as though they had only been playing, that soon their
    mommies would come and call them in for lunch and they'd do it all again the next day, children
    pretending to be grown up. But it was real.

?That's it,? Obi-Wan shrugged. ?Were you expecting more?? He watched her face, a grin
    tugging at his features.

?Perhaps the traditional kiss,? Sabé smiled. That problem was quickly remedied.

That night was a sharp reminder of the days to come. Sabé suffered a relapse and was too weak to move much more than her lips or eyes. ?I told you so,? she murmured as she lay on his -- their -- bed, watching Obi-Wan's concerned face sadly. ?A burden.?

?None of that, none of that,? he replied briskly. ?I'm going to find something to you make
    you feel better.?

With enormous effort, she raised an eyebrow. ?I thought you were a Jedi, not a doctor.?

?I dabble a little in all the Jedi arts,? he announced, walking to the opposite side of the small bedroom, which was lined with shelves and cabinets. Opening one of the cabinets, he began to sort through various bottles and jars.

?Where did you get all those?? Sabé wondered, though all that really came out was "Where...get...those?"

?I've been collecting for some time now,? was all Obi-Wan would say. ?Now, do you remember anything about the treatments you were getting??

?Of course!? Sabé sounded as insulted as was possible for someone who couldn't move her head. ?I helped make them myself, for the queen. I pay attention to these things, you know.? She closed her eyes, exhausted from the effort.

Obi-Wan attributed her crankiness to her illness and ignored it. ?So what was in it??

Sabé racked her brain and started listing ingrediants. She wasn't surprised to see her
    husband's eyes widen at some of the rare and exotic ones. ?See, now I'm sure you don't have some of these things. That's why I knew I wouldn't get any more treatment. We had enough trouble getting the treatment made on Alderaan.?

Obi-Wan shook his head. ?Don't be too sure! I've been collecting for a very, very long time.?
    He went to her side and touched her hand gently. ?Now relax. Get some sleep. By tomorrow, I should have the treatment made. There's no need to tire yourself out.?

?Yes, Master.? Despite all her weariness she still managed to put an impish tone in her words.
    She closed her eyes and began to drift off. Just before she fell asleep, however, Obi-Wan heard her
    say something so quiet he had to lean down next to her face to catch it. ?I'm sorry.?

?Don't be.? He looked on her tenderly, and suddenly tears sprang to his eyes. It just wasn't
    fair! Such a strong-willed, impassioned woman -- reduced to this. He turned back to the treatment
    with more determination than ever.
    ----------------
  3. Cindé of Naboo Jedi Master

star 4
    Just shamelessly upping this -- I won't be able to post until Monday, and then I'll be off to college, where I won't have as much access to computers as I'd like. :( But don't worry! I will post as often as I can, I promise! I hope this doesn't fall too far down by Monday...
  4. Jedi Master Mara Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    ::grabs all available Kleenex and starts bawling::
  5. Cailina Force Ghost

star 4
    Just found this Cinde and I love it! It's soo sad though.... :*(
  6. Tenel'Ka Jedi Knight

star 3
  7. Tenel'Ka Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ho can this story fall to page 12?!?!? It is way to good to fall so far back!
    Can we have some more...please?
  8. space case Jedi Knight

star 3
    Better late than never. I just started reading your excellent story.
  9. Tenel'Ka Jedi Knight

star 3
    PLEASE POST!!! I BEG you! I NEED to know if Sabe is okay...at least for now. *sniff*
    MORE!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. Tenel'Ka Jedi Knight

star 3
    Woud you STAY UP so Cinde of Naboo can find you when she wants to post!!! *Scornful voice*
  11. Angel of Iego Jedi Knight

star 3
    Up you go, thready.

I'm still sniffling from the last post, though, so I guess I can make it til Monday.
  12. BelleBayard TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 4
    Waah! She's so sick they can't even enjoy their wedding night! Boo hoo...not fair! Hope you can finish this before you're off to college, Cinde. I know how hard studying and trying to be creative can be. :)
  13. Angel of Iego Jedi Knight

star 3
  14. val solo Jedi Master

star 4
    What a bummer! Her wedding night with such a dashing Jedi and she's too weak?! Don't do this to us, Cinde! We can't take much more! ;)
  15. RebelMom Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Wait you can't leave yet. It's not finished. Poor Obi, Poor Sabe. This must be a new form of Obi torture.

More please.
  16. Cindé of Naboo Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for keeping the thread up, everybody! I promise I will not leave you hanging too long. I will find a way to get access to a computer, and I will post as often as I can. I will not let that fiend known as the Real World, in the form of College, get in my way. ;)

----------------
    Chapter 6: Recovery

The next morning Sabé awoke to a familiar odor, filling the air of the bedroom and assailing her nostrils until she nearly choked. Forgetting for a moment where she was, she tried to spring out
    of bed and assist the Alderaanian doctor with the queen's treatment. But her weakness stopped her,
    and all of the recent events came back to her. She frowned at the recollection of her relapse, but it changed to a smile when she thought of the wedding.

?Good morning!? Obi-Wan was still at the other side of the bedroom, stirring the liquid mixture over a small fire-stove. He looked with delight at Sabé as she opened her eyes. ?How did you sleep??

?How did you sleep?? Sabé asked. ?Or did you?? She frowned at the sight of his drawn, tired face.

?I managed a few hours,? he assured her. ?Meanwhile, I think this treatment's ready.? He could not contain the excitement in his voice, and suddenly he seemed like an eager young Padawan again, showing his master his lastest accomplishment. He carried the mixture to Sabé's side and held it forth for her inspection. "How does it look?"

"Well, it smells right, that's for sure," Sabé replied, wrinkling her nose. She glanced at the
    brownish-green liquid. "And it looks right." She looked at her husband. "I'll just have to trust that you followed my instructions properly."

"I appreciate your confidence," Obi-Wan laughed. "How much do you need?"

"We usually administered it in cupfuls," Sabé replied, trying not to think of the countless times she had held a cup to the queen's swollen lips and forced the liquid down. A bitter laugh escaped her lips. "We had the most advanced medical technology in the galaxy, and all we could do was make potions in a goblet!"

"Whatever works," Obi-Wan replied calmly. "It doesn't matter what form it takes, as long as it works." He poured her a cup of the liquid and offered it too her, but she found she could not
    lift her hands. Sitting gingerly beside her, he held the cup to her lips and carefully poured its contents into her mouth.

Instinctively, she gagged at the horrid taste of the liquid, but eventually she swallowed the brew. Obi-Wan's face wore that concerned look again; she couldn't bear it. Her vision blurred as the tears came.

Instantly, Obi-Wan leaned close. "What's the matter? Is it the treatment? Are you all right?"

"It's not the treatment," Sabé managed to say. Their eyes met and locked, and then he understood. "Thank you," she said, and he took her hand.
    ----------
    Sorry, that was another sad post. It's a sad story, after all...but I hope you liked it.
  17. BelleBayard TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 4
    Oh, poor Obi-wan and Sabe. Here's hoping she has at least a brief remission so they can have a real wedding night. :)
  18. Angel of Iego Jedi Knight

star 3
    *Angel runs away sobbing*

Oh, so sad! But I need more (of course).

What a great guy Obi-Wan is, allowing himself to go through all this for the woman he loves. What a great story...

College, shmollege -- more, more more!
  19. Tenel'Ka Jedi Knight

star 3
    *starts bawling.* SO SAD! But PLEASE give me MORE!!!!!
  20. Jedi Master Mara Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, SOB. Sobsobsobsobsobsobsob.... Those poor newlyweds should not have to spend their first married days like this, they should be happy!

Smegging fever!

Why do I have this sinking feeling that the circumstances are only going to get worse? =*(

Either way, I'll be waiting for more! I hope that college doesn't drain upon your time *too* much, Cinde, and I'm very glad that the story will continue!
  21. Cindé of Naboo Jedi Master

star 4
    Just posting to let you all know that I'm still alive, and I made it to college. The question is whether I can make it through college. ;) I won't have access to a computer like I did at home, but I will try to find ways to post as often as possible. I promise!
  22. jodiwent Force Ghost

star 4
    It takes a really good 'hand madien' story to get my attention, You still have it.
  23. Cailina Force Ghost

star 4
  24. Cindé of Naboo Jedi Master

star 4
    Yay! I can post. This one's a little happier, I think.
    ---------
    After a few hours the treatment began to take effect. Sabé could feel her strength returning and was able to sit up in bed, her mouth still filled with the awful taste.

"Do you need anything?" Obi-Wan asked anxiously, trying his best to make her comfortable.

"Some water would be nice," Sabé admitted, but she hated to make him serve her like this. When she got better, she resolved, she would make it up to him.

When she got better.

Obi-Wan returned to his wife's side with a cup of water, and she accepted it gratefully, washing the taste away.

"How are you feeling?"

Sabé found herself smiling. "That's the third time you've asked that in the last minute."

"And you answered it before."

She laughed. "All right. Actually, I'm feeling much better. I think I can stand now."

"Careful!" Obi-Wan cautioned. "You don't want to strain yourself."

Rolling her eyes, she exclaimed, "You're acting like you're my mother."

"No." He grinned. "Your husband." He took her hand and slowly helped her to her feet. She put her weight on one leg, then the other.

"I think I can do it." She looked at Obi-Wan. "You can stop squeezing my hand now."

Sheepishly, he released her hand. She did not waver or lose her balance. "There!" she said with satisfaction. "Now you don't have to wait on me anymore."

He grinned again. "I rather liked waiting on you."

"Now it's my turn," she announced. "You hardly slept at all last night, and you need your rest." She ignored his protesting. "Get into bed. I'm going to make you something to eat, and then you're going to sleep."

He obeyed. "Yes, Master."

Sabé kissed his forehead. "Good boy!" Then she turned to leave the bedroom.

"The kitchen's in the right hand corner of the cave," came a voice behind her. She stopped and smiled.

"Thanks."
  25. RebelMom Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Glad you made it to college. Hope your load isn't too heavy. At least you can write stories still. Have fun.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.