"...are there no tears in the desert?" -- sequel to "ITSOTQ" (and "Cold&quo

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Cindé of Naboo, Aug 5, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BelleBayard TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 4
    Nice post, Cinde. Stop by Tears of an Angel to see what's been going on. Hope Sabe and Obi can have their night together before she goes. Good luck in college.
  2. Jedi Master Mara Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, good. We needed a happy-ish post, and I'm glad you delivered, Cinde. They are so cute together:

--------------------------------------------------

Sabe: What are you, my mother?
    Obi: No, your husband.

--------------------------------------------------

Also when Sabe decides that it's her turn. =) Great job!

3. Datree Jedi Knight

Ohh...that was GREAT!!! A few days ago I was thinking about the story, and thought about what I would make happen next. I actually had the SAME idea you did! I thought of Sabe feeling btter, then making breakfast (or something) in bed for Obi-Wan! So I LOVED that post due to the fact that I as thinking along the same lines!
    I would like to see more 'husband and wife' interaction with the two though! :)
    PLEASE POST MORE!!!
    Good luck with college!!!
  4. Cindé of Naboo Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm so glad all of you liked that post; I think you'll like this one too, which continues in the lighter tone.

---------------------------------
    Chapter 7: Wife of a Jedi

They both shared a meal in bed some time later. Sabé, her head on Obi-Wan's shoulder, watched him devour the food on his tray and smiled. "You must have worked up quite an appetite from all that work last night."

"What about you?" He nudged her. "You should be keeping your strength up."

"I suppose Tatooine fare just doesn't much appeal to me," Sabé sighed with mock resignation.

"Get used to it," Obi-Wan gave a rueful smile. "It's really not so bad after you've had it for awhile."

Sabé tried a portion of stewed dewback and made a face. "I suppose one could get used to it, eventually," she said at last.

"That's the spirit!" Obi-Wan tickled her playfully. "Here, try some of this." He topped his spoon with something resembling orange potatoes and directed it towards his wife's face. Obediently she opened her mouth and allowed him to place the food in. Chewing contemplatively for a few moments, she swallowed at last.

"Not bad," she said, surprised. "What is it?"

Obi-Wan looked slightly embarrassed. "Well, to tell the truth -- I don't know, exactly. It's some kind of Tatooine dish, and it's fairly popular. Besides," he added, "you should know more than I do! You made it, didn't you?"

She rolled her eyes. "I just followed the instructions on the package! And all the package said was 'A delicious meal for those on the go,' probably meaning criminals."

Obi-Wan laughed. "No doubt. But I wouldn't worry. You're looking healthier and healthier every moment."

Sabé sobered. "Now let's be realistic, Obi-Wan. It was a treatment, not a cure."

"I haven't forgotten that," Obi-Wan replied smoothly. "I also haven't forgotten that I married you, promising you all my support and love. I intend to follow through with that."

"So do I," Sabé replied. She turned her face to her husband's, and their lips met. Slowly
    Sabé's arms went around him, and she closed her eyes. So did Obi-Wan. He also started snoring.

She smiled and shook her head. He was more tired than he would admit.

So was she. Kissing him once more, she laid her head on his chest and drifted off to sleep.
    ------
    ;)
  5. Datree Jedi Knight

"He also started snoring"
    LOL!!!That was a VERY FUNNY post!!! Great to see more was posted! And as usual...thank you, and PLEASE POST MORE!!!
  6. Cailina Force Ghost

star 4
    Great post Cinde!
    I am anxiously awaiting more :)
  7. Jedi Master Mara Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    Great post! So sweet, too. I like how Obi-Wan is being so loyal and nice....it's heartbreaking when you think about the fact that it's doomed, though.

::Starts sobbing again::

Aw, Force, and just when I was beginning to forget that! =*(
  8. Queenie Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yea! Sabe's feeling perkier, at least for a while. Great posts.
  9. Cindé of Naboo Jedi Master

star 4
    :) I'm going to kind of pick up the pace a little; I hope it turns out all right.
    ----------
    The next few weeks went by quickly. Sabé found that she was seldom at a loss for something to do. Obi-Wan had learned how to keep his mind and body occupied all the time he lived alone, and now he shared his secrets with her. They spent hours pouring over books which Obi-Wan had salvaged from all ends of the galaxy, reading about everything from the Jedi to the history of Naboo. It was hard, sometimes, to read of the Republic before the dark times, but at the same time it seemed to give them comfort. They reminisced about the long-ago Battle of Naboo, where they had first met, and the period of peace they had enjoyed after it. Sabé even found that she could speak of the queen and her handmaidens. But neither one mentioned Amidala's husband.

Obi-Wan was constantly rearranging his small dwelling, packing things ever more compactly and tightly to make as much room as possible. Sabé now joined him, devising new ways to stack things on shelves or in corners. They took pride in what they did in their home, calling the other excitedly when either one came up with a new idea.

They took turns cooking. Sabé experimented with some Naboo recipes on the Tatooine food, but eventually she became resigned to eating the planet's dishes. And Obi-Wan was right -- she was slowly growing accustomed to them, especially with the help of her husband's creative cooking skills.

She found pleasure in the simple things. A delicious meal, a clean house, the warm nights in his arms, the gorgeous double sunsets. Because eventually they would all slip away. Every now and then, though she tried to keep it out, she would remember how the queen had been several days before her death, before the delirium set in. She was lying in bed, gazing out the window at the Alderaanian landscape. A smile almost came onto her face. "Naboo," she had said. "I am thinking of Naboo. It was beautiful, wasn't it? So green, and alive. We used to just sit and watch the birds fly in the clouds, and all the little children in the square." She was silent for a moment, then said quietly, "I shall miss the birds."

Sabé had known who she meant when she had said "We." What she hadn't understood then was why the queen was thinking about birds or clouds. Now she knew.

The treatments were keeping her strong; there was no sign of another relapse. Obi-Wan diligently concocted the treatment every time it started to run out, making sure that Sabé was taking it. He also made sure to keep a constant supply of all the ingredients, though Sabé could not imagine where he was getting them. They were seldom apart, but she suspected he went out at night to scavenge. She worried for him, but she didn't know how to ask him about it. He was certainly capable of taking care of himself. She realized that what she really wanted was to go along with him.

They both spent some time each day sharpening their skills, mostly out of necessity. The Sandpeople had not yet ventured near their home, but every once in a while there was a distant cry of a bantha, and it was clear they were growing bolder. Sabé wanted to be prepared, so she practiced her firing skills, her aiming, her prowness, alongside Obi-Wan's lightsaber workouts. They usually practiced outside, where there was plenty of room, in the morning before the suns had heated the desert. It was at these times that Sabé actually felt closest to her husband, side by side with him, both silent, their thoughts seeming to flow freely without words. Sweat glistened on their faces and they gave each other quick, meaningful simles. Then, as the suns climbed higher in the sky, they turned, exhausted but refreshed, back home and to the kitchen for breakfast.
    -----------
    First day of classes and I'm still standing! Well, it's not over yet...but I'm hanging in there. ;)
  10. Jedi Master Mara Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    ::smiles at the pretty sunsets and the nice house and nice people::

Oh, that was so beautiful. And peaceful. And nice. I'm glad we get happy posts a few times before the end comes. If you were to end the story here, I could almost imagine a "...and they lived happily ever after."

But it's all tinged with a little sadness. =*(

Good luck getting through college and its collegy-ness!
  11. RebelMom Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    They seem so human; like everyday people. That was very nice.

College is fun. Have fun.
  12. Datree Jedi Knight

That 'was' a really nice part.
    But...I have one question...Is Sabe still wearing that itchy cloak, or is she wearing Obi's cloths? *sigh*
    Great post!!!
  13. Cindé of Naboo Jedi Master

star 4
  14. Cindé of Naboo Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, curse this computer, which wouldn't let me post! I'll try again...

Datree -- hee hee, no, Sabé isn't still wearing that yucky cloak. Remember Obi-Wan's "I dabble a little in all the Jedi arts?" Well, some Jedi's skills lie in making clothes. Sabé has a nice little waredrobe. ;)

Sadly, this is going to be a little less happy than the last one. Sorry...:(
    -----------
    "Obi-Wan," Sabé said one morning as they sat across from each other at the table, "do you realize I've been here two months already?"

"Two months exactly?"

She nodded. "I was just counting out the days last night."

He grinned, stood up from his seat, and bent over to give her a kiss. "Happy anniversary, then!"

Sabé laughed. "Same to you."

Obi-Wan sat down again, and they were both silent for a while. "I wonder how Luke's doing," Sabé said suddenly.

"He's fine," Obi-Wan replied casually, as though he visited him every day. "He's started walking now, you know."

His wife looked at him with annoyance. "Now how do you know that? And don't tell me it's your Jedi powers."

He grinned. "No. No, I have other ways of finding out."

"Like sneaking out in the middle of the night?"

Obi-Wan looked startled. "You knew about that?"

"We share the same bed, remember?" She sighed.

"I'm sorry," he said earnestly. "I only do that because I don't want to leave you during the daytime, when you're awake. And I want to let you sleep at night. You deserve the rest."

"So do you!" she retorted. "Obi-Wan, I know that whatever reason you have for going out after I've fallen asleep -- or after you think I've fallen asleep -- is a good reason. I trust you. But next time, I'm going with you!"

Now he looked alarmed. "No, you can't! It can be dangerous at night -- more than during the day, certainly. And --"

"And I need the sleep, and so on and so on," Sabé finished. "I'm sorry, but those just aren't good enough excuses. It's no more dangerous for me than for you. Besides, I'd say a Jedi Knight and a handmaiden stand a pretty good chance out there, compared to others."

He had to smile. "Is that why you've been doing all that training with me?" She just smiled back. "All right, I guess you're going with me next time. Not that I could stop you."

"So Luke's walking now?" Sabé mused, going back suddenly to the first topic of conversation.

Obi-Wan nodded. "He's turned into quite an adventurous fellow," he said fondly. "Owen takes him out to play in the sand dune near his farm, and I've watched him romp around until Owen is exhausted from following him."

"But they've never seen you watching them?" Sabé said suddenly.

"No. It's usually twilight when they're out there, and I blend in with the shadows." Obi-Wan frowned. "I don't know what Owen would think if he knew I was watching."

"Probably that you were up to no good," Sabé sighed. Then her face took on a frown identical to her husband's. "Twilight?" she repeated. "Am I in bed that early?"

Obi-Wan was silent.

"I sleep longer than I used to," Sabé realized. She looked at Obi-Wan drearily. "I'm getting weak."

"I'll give you some more treatment today," he told her, his expression inscrutable.

"It won't last."

"I know."

"How long?" She had to know. And she was sure he knew.

"Six months." Now, at last, sorrow broke onto his face. "No more than that."

She looked at him with a surprisingly passionate determination in her eyes. "Then we'll just have to make the most of those six months, won't we?"

He looked into her eyes and his own began to burn with the same determination. "Yes. We will."
  15. RebelMom Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Cinde that was sad. I read your stories to get my fill of 'sad' stories. You do such a wonderful job writing sad stuff. Sigh.
    ONly one more?
    Sigh.
  16. Queenie Jedi Knight

star 1
    Beautiful imagery, beautiful story . . . simply beautiful.
  17. Jedi Master Mara Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    Bad signs here...but at least they're going to visit Luke. That'll cheer everyone up a bit, won't it? =) I want to see how he's doing, too.

Keep up the great work! I'm sorry you're stuck with darkside computers. Mine went over long ago. =D
  18. Cindé of Naboo Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't know whether to be pleased or sad that you read my stories to be sad. ;) But to tell the truth, they make me sad too.

----------------------------
    Chapter 8: Twilight

True to his word, the next time Obi-Wan visited Luke, he took his wife with him. By the time he had led her into the shadow of a sand dune next to the Lars farm, Sabé was beginning to have second thoughts. What if they were seen? What if she had a relapse?

What if the sight of Luke broke her heart?

But all her worries vanished when the boy and his foster uncle appeared. She had to smile at the sight of the queen's son, a romping, exploring child who tripped over his own feet, but always smiled and got back up again. She only wished she could show herself.
    Owen's face had a tender expression as he watched the boy, but she knew it would quickly turn to a scowl if he spotted them.

She sighed as Obi-Wan touched her arm. Time to go.

The next month Obi-Wan taught Sabé how to imitate the krayt dragon call which he used to scare off Sandpeople. Whether she really needed to learn it was unimportant. It kept their minds off of other things. Obi-Wan laughed as he watched his wife take a deep breath and let out the hideous yell, sending imaginary Sandpeople running.

In the evenings he let her try out his lightsaber, and though she was no Jedi, she proved rather proficient with it.

"Of course," she said, turning off the blade and turning to her husband, "I have no idea how I'd be in a real fight."

Obi-Wan just smiled. "I hope you'll never have to know."

She eyed the handle curiously. "This is different from the others I've seen. Did you make this yourself?"

"Jedi do it all the time," he shrugged.

She sat down across from him, a strange light in her eyes. "You're not just an average Jedi, you know? You're -- extraordinary." As his head went down and he looked sad, she added, "And don't tell me you're a failure. I'm tired of hearing you say that. I know you're not. You still have a chance."

He lifted his head and gazed at her. "Why do you believe in me, Sabé?"

"Because I know what's in your soul." She met his gaze and took his hand in hers. "I've seen what's at the center of you, who you really are. I don't need Jedi powers to do that."

"And what do you see?"

She smiled. "I see an eager young Padawan, a wise and caring Master, a devoted, sacrificing husband. Someone who keeps his promises, whatever the cost." He flinched, but said nothing. "Someone who still hopes when it seems all hope is gone. And someone who willingly carries a burden no one should have to bear."

"Now, Sabé." Obi-Wan gave her a serious look. "If I've told you once I've told you a thousand times: you're not a burden!"

"That doesn't make you any less sacrificing," Sabé insisted. She put her head on his shoulder. "And it doesn't make you any less dear to me." She had managed to hold it back for a month, but now she let the tears come. "Obi-Wan, I don't want to go. I don't want to leave you."

He held her tightly, as though that could keep her from going. "I don't want you to go either." Crying together, they fell asleep in each other's arms.
    ----------
    I hope that wasn't too cheesy....
    There's still a few more posts to go!
  19. Datree Jedi Knight

Awww... That was funny , sweet, and sad. I don't know if I should smile or cry. ;) Great post though! Please DON'T end it TOO soon! I DON'T WANT this to end!!! What do you have planed for after this story? If it's even NEAR as good as your previous stories...I will DEFINATLY read it!!! :)
    POST SOON!!!
  20. BelleBayard TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 4
    Very poignant, Cinde. An excellent vignette into Obi-Wan's heart. Too bad Sabe has to die. :(
  21. Datree Jedi Knight

UP!
    just sitting around, waiting for a post.
  22. Cindé of Naboo Jedi Master

star 4
  23. Cindé of Naboo Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks, everybody! Unfortunately, this story is fast drawing to a close, but I am currently working on four seperate fan fictions. :) If nothing else, I am a very prolific writer. I think I will soon post a little something on Anakin's journey which takes place after his death -- rather strange, but hopefully worthwhile. Anyway, here's some more:
    ---------------
    Every month they found something new to occupy themselves. But every month it became harder and harder to drive away the thought of the inevitable. It was hardest for Sabé at night, just before she drifted of to sleep, listening to her husband's regular breathing, feeling his warmth next to her. And she couldn't help but imagine what it would be like to have that taken from her. It would just be -- darkness. Emptiness. Loneliness.

And much more than for herself she mourned for Obi-Wan, who would truly be all alone, with no one to comfort him, no one who understood. Her heart broke when she thought of leaving him. Sometimes, in desperation, she considered concocting some miracle cure that would destroy her illness and make everything right again. But what was the use? She had tried, more times than she could count, on Alderaan, to find a way to save the queen. It was impossible. The sickness was already beginning to consume her.

She knew Obi-Wan thought the same things when he watched her sleeping. They talked about it. If she had one consolation, it was the fact that they could talk about anything, always, and understand each other like reading each other's minds. Sometimes she suspected he did. And she knew him so well she felt she could read his. They were closer than she had ever imagined a man and a woman could be.

That only made it harder.

There was one night, five or six months after they had been married, when neither one could sleep. Sabé tossed and turned for hours, until finally turning to Obi-Wan and whispering, "You're not sleeping either, are you?"

"No." He rolled over to face her. "Are you feeling all right?"

"Oh, I'm fine." He understood. She was feeling sick, of course, but no worse than usual.

"But how are you feeling?"

Now she understood. He was no longer asking about her health. "I was just thinking."

"Yes?" He could see her lip was quivering. "About what?" He took her hand, which was shaking as well.

"Just --" She swallowed. "A child. I would have --" She could not finish.

"I would have liked one too." Neither one said anything more that night, but when they finally fell asleep early in the morning, their tear-stained faces showed that they had opened their hearts to each other, without a single word. Sabé was almost smiling. *Someone I can cry with.*
    -----------
    I'm afraid that was rather a tear-drenched one. Oh, well...
  24. Tenel'Ka Jedi Knight

star 3
    That was SO SAD!!! *Sob* I am also sad that this is just about done. :( But it's been most enjoyable....and SAD!!! *BOO HOO* I just got caught up. Great writing!!!
    MORE!!!
    How about more Mush before it ends? Please??? :)
  25. Datree Jedi Knight

I agree, more MUSH!!!
    Great Sad post though!!!
    *sniff*
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.