main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"...are there no tears in the desert?" -- sequel to "ITSOTQ" (and "Cold&quo

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Cindé of Naboo, Aug 5, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cindé of Naboo

Cindé of Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2000
    I'm so glad you've enjoyed this story. I was a little afraid it might be too melodramatic or sappy, but I guess it's turned out okay.

Alas, this is the last post! I almost feel like I'm engaging in torture, but believe me, I'm just as sad as anyone else. I take no pleasure in this. Well, okay, maybe I take the teeniest bit of pleasure in knowing I can tug at people's emotions. But I'm not a sadist! Really!

--------------------------
    Chapter 9: Sacrifices

Eventually Sabé could no longer find the energy to rise early in the morning and practice her skills with Obi-Wan. So he started practicing on the other side of the house, where there was a small window looking out from the bedroom. She could watch him from her bed as he twirled his saber and somersaulted through the air. For some reason, this did not make her feel worse. There were times that she cried, when she watched him, but it was mostly because he was doing so much for her, so sacrificing, so loving. It was also, she told herself, because of her physical weakness, which would naturally lead to emotional outbursts.

He made certain to smile whenever they were together, which was most of the time; not a forced smile, but a sincere, loving smile that filled her with warmth. So she always remembered to return it.

If she found herself too weak to walk across the room, he carried her. When she could not lift the spoon or cup to her lips, he lifted it for her. When she cried, he wiped her tears.

She rested, one morning, in bed, watching her husband from the window as he finished his exercises. He executed one last flip, then turned off his saber. He faced the window and waved cheerily, and she smiled weakly. Moments later he was inside, walking into the bedroom.

"'Morning, Sabé," he said as he peeled off his sweat-soaked clothes and changed into dry ones.

"'Morning, Obi-Wan." Her voice was barely perceptible. He finished changing and strode to the bed, sitting down beside her. Looking earnestly in her face, he asked, "You all right?"

Any worse than usual, he meant. "I'm fine."

No worse than usual. "What are you thinking about?" He could always tell, from her eyes, when she was thoughtful.

He had to strain to hear her answer. "Just -- happy. No regrets, you know." She took a labored breath. "I'm glad -- what I've done -- with my life." Sabé looked up at him and managed to smile. "Happy." She let out a sigh. "I love you, Obi-Wan."

Obi-Wan held out his arms and pulled her gently onto his lap, stroking her hair, his eyes closed.

She savored the warmth of his body, clinging to him with all her remaining strength, touching his face, his hands, feeling his heartbeat. Making a memory.

"I love you too, Sabé."

His voice echoed in her ears, almost like a song, lulling her gently to sleep...

Time seemed to slow down as he listened to her breathing. Breathe in...breathe out...breathe in....breathe out....breathe in...

And then he knew she was gone.
    --------------

The End

SOB!! :( :( Believe me, I have cried my eyes out writing this. I hope you enjoy it -- in a sad, mournful sort of way...now, if you'll excuse me, I need some tissues...

2. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    *Sniff* That was a nice ending. I liked how you just let her slip peacefully into death. It wasn't melodramatic and more poignant than a long drawn out death scene.

3. Tenel'Ka

Tenel'Ka Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 2000
    THAT was Soooooooo... SAD!!!!! I had tears running down my face! And I don't cry unless I am in a LOT of pain usually! Ohhh... I can't beliece it is over! POOR OBI!!!
    How about a fic. with Obi after this story, but make it a little 'happier.'
    NOT that I didn't enjoy this! I DID!!! LOTS!!!
    Thanks.

4. Jedi Master Mara Jade

Jedi Master Mara Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1999
    Wow, what a story....

I think I need more Kleenex. ::sob, sob, sob::
    Perfect ending, Cinde! Thank you! =*( =*]

5. Cindé of Naboo

Cindé of Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2000
    Thanks for reading, everybody! Anyone interested in another story? I just can't stop writing them... ;)

6. Tenel'Ka

Tenel'Ka Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 2000
    OH YES!!! WRITE MORE!!! :)

7. BelleBayard

BelleBayard TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Mar 16, 2000
    Oh, that was indeed a sad story, but tastefully and well done, Cinde. Yes, more would always be better. Thanks for the great tale. *sniff*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.