main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are there only Two Jedi alive during OT?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by WhiskeyGold, Jul 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I know its been long said that Yoda and Ben are the last of the Jedi's. Not counting Anakin, he is a dark jedi right?
    But we all seem to not go on EU stuff. So is it said in the movies that Yoda and Ben are the last?
    Couldn't see a number of them go in to hiding. I mean some problem didn't care to fight anymore. They went in to hiding and had no reason to be come up during the events of the OT.
    I can't remember if it was said in the movies. If not then its EU right? Does EU could with the Star Wars books based on the movies? I guess not cause it says Obi-wan and Owen are brothers.

Oh well. What's a duck?

2. jakbar316

jakbar316 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2004
    Your probably right. It's damn near impossible to eleminate every single one of the Jedi save two, unless they had some special Jedi detector, and if that were the case, there would be no Jedi. I'm sure there are some in the far reaches of the galaxy like Obiwon that gave up on being a Jedi to live a regular life, and to blend in with the public.

3. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    "When gone I am, the last of the Jedi will you be"

Seems pretty straight-forward to me.

4. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    It really depends on your point of view.

Completeists will say no. Purists will say yes.

From the point of view of the movies, there are only 2. Then Luke is the last.

5. Genrader

Genrader Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2003
    I personally think that Yoda and Obi-Wan were the last REAL Jedi, pretty much every other real Jedi was eventually eliminated in 23 years or so.

Now, I do think there were some Force Sensitive people that trained themselves possibly in the Jedi arts, but were not real Jedi therefore they don't count.

6. Vindaxxus

Vindaxxus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 29, 2000
    I think there were probably a few Jedi that survived the Purge and hid out on worlds like Tatooine.

A place for those who don't want to be found.

7. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    This is one case in which I disagree with the EU. I believe Yoda has the power to sense all Jedi that are left, and he should know how many are left. When he says "the last of the Jedi will you be", I go against what the EU says and believe the movies.

For the purposes of the story, I think it's more important for Yoda and Luke (and Ben) to be the only ones left.

8. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001
    But if those Jedi from the past stopped training or do Jedi things maybe they are no "jedi" anymore but still alive? Or is it, once a Jedi also a Jedi? Also I always thought Yoda was talking about Jedi as in someone to help them. There could be a few that just don't give a damn anymore so they don't really count in Yoda's eyes. I could be wrong.

9. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Where in the EU does it say more Jedi existed?

Callista is in the computer of a ship. Mara Jade worked for the Emperor and was not a Jedi then. The Force-Witches of Dathomir were not Jedi. Jorus C'Baoth was cloned by Thrawn, years later.

Where are there EU Jedi during the OT?

10. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001
    There is old man, a fake Ben in the Marvel Comic series. Around issues #16.

11. Genrader

Sep 12, 2003
    Where in the EU does it say more Jedi existed?

Callista is in the computer of a ship. Mara Jade worked for the Emperor and was not a Jedi then. The Force-Witches of Dathomir were not Jedi. Jorus C'Baoth was cloned by Thrawn, years later.

Exactly, there were Force Sensitive people and people who knew a little of the Jedi and their arts, but there were no other REAL Jedi.

12. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    One Jedi was Ecchu Shen-Jon.But he died just a little before Yavin,I think. :)

13. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "So is it said in the movies that Yoda and Ben are the last?"

Well, going by Yoda's comment, "When gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be," I'd say yes.

Obi-Wan and Yoda are the last two.

14. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    This is like asking if Boba Fett died in ROTJ.
    In the movies there were only two Jedi left, Yoda and Ben. In the EU there were a lot more Jedi that survived the purge.
    It doesn't hurt the continuity. So I say that there were more than two that survived.

15. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002

Dark Empire II has a few that I can remember that would have lived during the OT. Such as Vima Da Boda and the king of that weird world in the gas cloud, Brandt I think his name was.

Also Hal Horn would have been alive during the OT and while not a full trained Jedi he did receive training from his father when he was young.

Personaly I believe in what Yoda said. Once he died Luke was the last.

16. Genrader

Sep 12, 2003
    Vima herself gave into the Dark Side and in turn killed the Ottethan warlord. Afterwards, Vima was deeply concerned about succumbing to the same evil that had consumed her daughter, and because of this, cut herself off from the Force, lest something like that should happen again. It was for this reason, that when Emperor Palpatine took control of the galaxy and began the Jedi Purge that Vima was able to escape him and his minions from the extermination of the Jedi. With the Jedi all but extinguished, Vima disappeared into the under-levels of the galaxy for decades.

And that's why she wasn't a pure and true Jedi during the ANH to ROTJ timeline.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>I believe Yoda has the power to sense all Jedi that are left, and he should know how many are left.<<

That wouldn't track, because then, by that logic, Palpatine or Vader should be able to as well. If a Jedi was hiding from being detected as a force user, they'd likely want to mask this presence from anyone picking the, up.

>>Where are there EU Jedi during the OT?<<

There's only a couple that were still alive by ROTJ, but they were elsewhere and probably had no particular motovation to go after Vader or Palpatine.

Might find this thread of interest, there's an updated list towards the end of the thread (posted around 1/26/03)

Jedi Purge Survivors: The List

18. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    How quickly we all forget. Theres more than two:

Yoda
    Ben
    Luke

And of course, Lukes sister- Leia ;) Well, OK, she wasnt a Jedi but the force does run strong in the family...

And then of course, there's Anakin in a sense...

19. sweetcaroline

sweetcaroline Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2004
    I always wondered about that too. There were thousands of Jedi Knights all over the galaxy. Couldn't some of them go into hiding too? Yoda says in ROTJ that Luke will be the last of the Jedi but that doesn't mean that some of them didn't escape the Emperor at the time of the rise of the sith. Probably by the time of ROTJ the ones that did get away have already died.
    What books were written between the time of AOTC and ROTJ? I ask this because I've never read any of the books published and I don't know anything on that topic. I know there's several out there that were written between the movies but I don't know.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> What books were written between the time of AOTC and ROTJ? I ask this because I've never read any of the books published and I don't know anything on that topic.<<

There have been 12 adult novels (Han Solo Trilogy (3), Han Solo Adventures (3), Lando Calrissian Adventures (3), Star Wars Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine, Splinter of the Mind's Eye & Shadows of the Empire. (None of those deal with any surviving Jedi, though.)

Then there is a landslide of vintage comics, modern comics, video games, children's novels and RPG reference material and short stories. (which is where you'll find apperances or references to some of the surviving Jedi)

The remaining appearances or referecnes to surviving Jedi occur in books, comics etc that are set after ROTJ.

21. clone3131

Feb 11, 2004
    Also, about Jedis going into hiding-

You are correct that Ben and Yoda did go into hiding, so why couldnt other Jedi?

They might of done that, but im guessing VADER sensed them through the force. And then hunted them down and killed them.

Yoda was protected by the strong dark force of the cave on Dagobah, and i believe Ben was protected by being on Tatooine- a place Vader did not like and would not travel too [hence why he stayed on board his SD in Ep IV and went down to Hoth in Ep V]

So, im guessing the other Jedis that were in hiding throughout the galaxy were either hunted down by Vader- being sensed by Vader or the Emperor, killed by bounty hunters, or died of old age/in battles...

22. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    How quickly we all forget. Theres more than two:

Yoda
    Ben
    Luke

Luke wasn't a Jedi yet. Only after he brought Anakin back from the Dark Side.

So during the OT there were only two Jedi left.

Actually during the entire OT there was only one Jedi alive in every movie:

Ben in ANH, Yoda in ESB/RotJ and Luke at the end of RotJ (no, not two in RotJ, because Yoda died before Luke became a Jedi).

23. sweetcaroline

sweetcaroline Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2004
    Thank you The2ndQuest. :) I knew there had to be loads of books out there.

24. clone3131

Feb 11, 2004
    Luke wasn't a Jedi yet. Only after he brought Anakin back from the Dark Side.

So during the OT there were only two Jedi left.

Actually during the entire OT there was only one Jedi alive in every movie:

Ben in ANH, Yoda in ESB/RotJ and Luke at the end of RotJ (no, not two in RotJ, because Yoda died before Luke became a Jedi).

The question wasnt when during the OT or at one time how many jedi were alive- the question was- Are there only Two Jedi alive during OT

And the answer is no. There was 4. Yoda, Ben, Luke, Anakin.

25. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Yeah well, from a certain point of view, you're right. But doesn't Anakin count as well, albbeit for a very very short time? Just before he died, no when he decided to kill the Emperor, he became a Jedi again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.