main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters ARE THERE STILL ANY QUI-GON FANS AROUND HERE?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Seremela, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psyence53

psyence53 Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2010
    I'm a "fan" of Qui-Gon. Around the Internet, there seems to be a lack of Qui-Gon and Luke. (LUKE?! How? Why?! ¬_¬) Both of whom I like a lot. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

2. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    Hi psyence53! I'm glad you mentioned both Qui-Gon and Luke together - it reminded me of a story by Marnie about the two of them called "The Magic Lamp." Maybe you've read it? If not, here's the link: . I loved it when I first read it - and I'm going to read it again now. :)

3. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    Oops. Looks like the link's not working. Well, here's the address, at least:

http://fanfic.theforce.net/fanfic.asp?action=view&ID=240

4. katie9918

katie9918 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 28, 2002
    Aw, I love Luke Skywalker! The original hero!

Okay, I used to think he had a tendency toward whining in Episodes IV and V, but after seeing Anakin in Episode II, I came to understand Luke a lot better. He came by his whining honestly and wasn't nearly as bad as dear old dad was.

And I'd whine if Obi-Wan and Yoda had kept certain things from me as well.

In my opinion, Obi-Wan was the greatest Jedi ever, but how much of that is due to his kick-ass Master? Qui, take a bow.

5. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Qui-Gon and Luke......I've tried that combination myself.;) Before ROTS, putting them together was a bit of a stretch, but since Yoda said that he'd achieved immortality, it's not that hard to see him popping up, post-ROTJ. :D

6. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    Ok! I made the challenge! You can find it in... Lol Fan-Fiction Resource. It's called the Oldies Challenge.

7. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Not if I can help it. :p

8. Jinn is MINE

Jinn is MINE Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2005
    Hmmmmph! I saw him first. [face_not_talking]

But Qui-Gons are very slippery. They like to escape. Must go find mine for more hugging and squeezing. [face_love][face_love]

9. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  10. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    I'm a Qui-Gon fan, but I've never had the inclination to write fan fic about him. I think because he died early in the Prequels, people tend to forget that he exsited and I've not found seen any threads where people dislike him (perhaps I've not looked). There might have been stories from ages ago that have been deleted automatically because the thread was old - I was trying to find some stories I posted (but never finished) back in '03 (under another user name which I can't use anymore) and found that some of them had been deleted. You might not find much about him because there was only ever one adult Star Wars book with him in it, Cloak of Deception and all the others were those Jedi Apprentice books.

11. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    True, Qui-Gon does not get written about too much. But he's a major part of Obi-Wan Kenobi's early life, so he's important. At least to me. ;) I have seen fics with Qui-Gon being antagonistic toward Obi-Wan, but there are many ways of looking at him.

I haven't noticed any threads being deleted just because they are old. As far as I know things are not deleted until someone deliberately removes it, or unless there is a glitch on the board and something gets lost.

12. Falls_the_Shadow

Falls_the_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    Truth be told, the promo pics of Mr. Neeson was the only reason I was willing to go see TPM.

I cached some of the content from the quigonline before it closed down.

The Luke and Qui-Gon characters together make sense as they are both unconventional and bond with both Anakin and Obi-Wan. Hmm. now I wonder if Luke's green crystal was actually from Qui-Gon's lightsaber, kept by Obi-Wan all these years?

Now with the Obi-Wan and Satine of Mandalore backstory established in the Clone Wars Cartoon, there is another inspiration for fan fic. Just how did Qui-Gon deal with his padawan's relationship with Satine? Was it known? This would be interesting since it has been argued that Qui-Gon would not have made A/P keep a secret.

13. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    I'm upping this because I can. :D

14. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    I like Qui-Gon. He does get bashed a lot, mostly because of the way he is perceived as treating Obi-Wan badly in TPM. I think Anakin holds the trump card on most-bashed character though, but I could be a bit biased.

I wrote Qui-Gon, albeit briefly and as a ghost, in my ROTS AU.

15. iceaffinity

iceaffinity Jedi Knight star 1

May 23, 2010
    May I ask why Qui-Gon may be perceived as treating Obi-Wan badly? That seems so odd to me. [face_thinking] I can't say I'm a huge Qui-Gon fan, but I always liked him. He taught Obi-Wan all his sage-like ways. [face_love]

16. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    The perception was that he shoved Obi-Wan aside like so much garbage in order to take on the "pathetic life form" Anakin. I haven't seen so much of this recently but it's a perception that seemed very predominant between TPM and AOTC. I think it was as much an anti-Anakin sentiment as an anti-Qui-Gon one, the idea that Qui-Gon "preferred" Anakin to Obi-Wan. Ironically enough, I remember seeing a lot of Qui/Obi slash fics around the same time (not here but on other fan fic sites).

I also think that, around the same time period, there was a backlash of "Hey, where did he come from? Yoda was supposed to train Obi-Wan!" simply because Qui-Gon isn't mentioned in the OT.

I think Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were different in that Obi-Wan was more "by the book" whereas Qui-Gon was a bit of a renegade, but I do think that Qui-Gon passed along his wisdom to his apprentice.

17. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    I've seen lots of mean-nasty-to-Obi-Wan Qui-Gon stories and that seems to come from Qui-Gon tossing Obi-Wan aside for Anakin. That surprised me since it looked like Qui-Gon was just being impulsive about wanting to promote Obi-Wan so he could train Anakin -- Obi-Wan certainly seemed eager to become a knight.

18. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    I enjoy writing Qui-Gon for his independent streak, and of course I love Liam Neeson. The challenging thing for me with Qui-Gon, though, is how very much he looks and acts like my father-in-law. It is easier for me if I write Qui-Gon I stop thinking *Qui-Gon* and I think *father-in-law*.

There, now you know my secret. When Qui-Gon shows up in my fics, I'm channeling my in-laws.

But seriously, I do enjoy him, and the uniqueness he gives to Obi-Wan's personality later on. I wish he had not been killed off so needlessly, though I understand how important that was to the main characters' psyches, etc. etc. But I could have stood to see a little more Liam Neeson in the PT.

19. iceaffinity

May 23, 2010

Maybe this is an overly simplistic question, but how long had Qui-Gon trained Obi-Wan at that point? I always got the impression Obi-Wan was pretty much ready for knighting anyway. Was there some reason people would think Obi-Wan wasn't ready? [face_thinking]

Liam Neeson is awesome. :) More of him in the PT would have been nice, but then Qui-Gon would have ended up training Anakin, rather than Obi-Wan....

20. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    Yay! Qui-Gon fans talking! [face_dancing]

The impression I got about the whole Qui-Gon casting Obi-Wan aside in favour of Anakin was that when Terry Brooks (it was him, right?) wrote the novelization of TPM, he interpreted Obi-Wan as feeling resentful in order to add some drama between the characters. But in the movie, Obi-Wan's reaction seems to be, "Hey cool, I get to be a knight!"

I personally haven't read any of the books with Qui-Gon in them, so I base my impression of his character entirely from the movie. And hey, Liam Neeson is indeed awesome.

So... I'm just wondering... what kind of Qui-Gon stories do you guys like to read or write? I've got a romance one that I've been fiddling with for a while. I wanted to write it because I think he would make such an interesting character for it... he's unconventional and free-thinking enough to question the rules of the Jedi Order, but at the same time mature enough to appreciate the problems such a relationship would cause.

21. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    I've always been a bit of a Qui-Gon/Shmi fan. *ducks for cover* In fact, I wish Lucas had listened to Liam Neeson and Pernilla August and allowed their characters to kiss goodbye.

I could see easily see Qui-Gon in a romantic relationship but not getting too deeply involved; he would care for the woman deeply while at the same time being able to avoid getting overly attached to her.

Falls_the_Shadow likes this.
  22. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    As one who currently has a story that could be seen as Qui-Gon bashing (don't necessarily commit to agreeing until the story is complete) and admittedly prefers Obi-Wan to all other Jedi - I've got to say that I've written both good and not-so-good (and currently horrible) Qui-Gon.

Yes, if you go by the novelization it says something like Obi-Wan probably wouldn't be knighted until roughly 30 (seemingly the average age).

Keep in mind I was NOT a Obi-Wan fan (I liked Luke) at the time of TPM (it was ROTS that solidified my Obi-love) and *I* was shocked at Qui-Gon's tactlessness in shoving Obi-Wan forward for Anakin REGARDLESS of how it was meant. Even if Obi-Wan was due for knighting, which is not certain, it was a surprise and shock and must have taken any joy out of being put forward for knighting. Heck, Qui-Gon could have turned to Obi-Wan with a "forgive me" before making his proposal (or afterwards).

I've also read that the script directions were for Obi-Wan to be angry, although I agree Ewan seemed more surprised and quickly rallying to his master's side in the film.

So in the minus category for Qui-Gon is his tactlessness, his put down of Jar Jar, and a few other minor things. He also spoke of Anakin almost as a thing before the Council rather than a small boy, though granted that was just in one scene and perhaps an inevitable response to the Council.

In the plus category, he seems somewhat wise and nicely mannered.

In summation, he is neither the "saint" his most fervent admirers seem to believe NOR the evil ogre who is a big "meanie." He's got a lot of wisdom gained from years of life and experience and he's got a short-sighted, decidely focused approach to the immediate.

In the end, I think it's our own personalities that shape a lot of how we see ALL the characters. I have a lot of Anakin in me, traits i don't like and maybe that's why I don't like Anakin. I have a lot of Obi-Wan in me, and so I understand his personality. Qui-Gon - I'm more neutral on and I'll work him however I need him for the story I'm writing - and he was the kindly ghost in my last story worrying about his poor padawan during his Jabiim ordeal.

23. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Well, I like stories with lots of Qui-Gon in them .... I'm working on a few, but things are getting in the way, and I'm switching from WordPerfect to OpenOffice with the new computer, so it's slow.

There are not many books with Qui-Gon in them at all outside of the Jedi Apprentice series. We could really use some more of him in the pro books.

According to the JA books, Obi-Wan apprenticed to Qui-Gon when he was 13.

Lucas is supposed to have said in an interview the padawans start their apprenticeships at age 8 or 9.

The Phantom Menace novel is supposed to say that Obi-Wan had been Qui-Gon's padawan for 20 years, which would mean he started at age 5.

Take your pick.;)

24. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    Interesting that you should say that, and I think you're right. I feel like I have a lot of Anakin in me as well, which is why I like him and sympathize with him so much. As someone who has also always been prone to forming attachments, I find the Jedi philosophy of "detachment" to be unrealistic at best, cruel at worst. I also have a short temper and a strong disdain for "convention for convention's sake." The latter trait I see in both Anakin and Qui-Gon.

I can't say I have much Obi-Wan in me at all; I like him because he has some traits that I wish I had. My husband is more of an Obi-Wan.

25. iceaffinity

May 23, 2010
    To be honest, most fic I've read involving Qui-Gon has focused primarily on Obi-Wan. As a fan of supporting/secondary characters, I'd love to see something showing his background, or developing him more as a character. He is only in TPM, and though he has the 'wise Jedi Master' vibe going, he was more than a little tactless in pushing Obi-Wan aside for Anakin, as Valairy pointed out. How to explain that conflict of characterization?

As for my earlier question on how long Qui-Gon had trained Obi-Wan at that point... [face_laugh] , it seems like it depends on who's writing the story! And what's convenient to the author's purposes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.