main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are there too many coincidences in the saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DARTH-SHREDDER, Jun 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    The biggest one i think is in TPM, when the ship is damgaged and they land on Tatooine right next to where the chosen one is. or was that fate?

off all the junk dealers, in all the planet, in all the galaxy they walk into his.

Couldnt remember exactly how that casablanca quote went, but thats my spin on it.

2. JEDY

JEDY Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2005
    Life is built on coincidences . As far as the saga goes, that's what Star Wars is all about .

3. Darth_Stern

Darth_Stern Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2003
    The will of the living force is a wonderful thing.

Nothing happens by accident.

4. Peter_Travers

Peter_Travers Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2005
    Are there too many coincidences in the saga?

Yes. And most of them occur in the prequels.

Lazy screenwriting.

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Says the guy whose screenname is the fella who thought The Blair Witch Project was a good movie.

Anyhow, no. Treating films like reality (which they aren't) tends to lead to gripes like these. Hell, the tagline "A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away" outright tells you not to treat these films like they're real.

6. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    The coincidences don't bother me when they are important to the story/drama of the saga; when they are just to be cool or appeal to fans they do. Examples: Owen buys R2-D2 who leads Luke and Death Star plans to Ben-necessary coincidence, no movie without it--this also is "fate" or the "will of the force" and very much a common literary device; this is fine. Boba Fett being a clone of Jango Fett who faught Obi Wan and has the same DNA as all the stormtroopers--silly and gratuitous, adds nothing to the story, damages the mystery of the character of Boba Fett (he is now just a fancy stormtrooper who repainted his dad's polished helmet) and leaves me feeling that Lucas is just pandering. So it depends on the coincidences, some are necessary to telling a story, some are silly and detract from the story's credibility.

7. numbah1fan

numbah1fan Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2005
    there are too many coincidences in EVERY movie,dude.they have to be there to have a story

8. colivo

colivo Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 25, 2004

9. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    There are no coincidences.

It was the will of the Force....and the writer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.