main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are there too many RotS AU's?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by happygolucky, Jul 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aldocassidy

aldocassidy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 22, 2005
    I think there are a lot of ROTS AU's because of its tragic nature and that many people want to see Padme and Anakin happy together.

Personally, my favorite AU's are Geo3's series "Children of Circumstance", "Winds of Change", "Ring of Fire", JediRev's "Naboo Chronicles", and Sounderwan's "Fall of the Sith".
    They are all extremely well written stories.

2. happygolucky

happygolucky Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2002
    OMG, I completely forgot about Winds of Change. It was perfect down to the OC's. Bale @};-

3. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
    *got a compliment, feels teh special* :D

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    There can never be too many AUs... ROTS or otherwise. :D It's really how people write those turns from movie/book reality that count. A good AU is worth Corusca gems!

5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    And a bad AU can be worth...Jar-jar. ;)

6. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Well, some people actually like JarJar. I know of at least 2! Go figure...[face_batting]

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I miss the good old days of Obi Torture!!! *Waves UBB cane at the youngins'*

Truthfully, it's just like any movie/book release. I rode in here on the TPM wave, and by AOTC, the board was covered in AOTC fics. Same when the NJO boomed and we got a flood of NJO stories. It's just expected. :)

Why doesn't Lucas do the Star Wars Holiday Special: Special Edition rerelease? Then we'd get a boom of Star Wars Holiday Special fics! ;) (JOKING. PLEASE DON'T!) :p

8. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Why doesn't Lucas do the Star Wars Holiday Special: Special Edition rerelease? Then we'd get a boom of Star Wars Holiday Special fics!

[face_thinking]Hummmmmm, interesting idea :p Nah... :D

9. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I would have to say NO. But I realize I'm biased since I love AUs. But like another poster, I prefer ones that don't mangle the characters beyond recognition. Luckily, there are tons of well written, plausible AUs to read on these boards!

10. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    **Follows VaderLVR64 in and looks around**

First, I'd like to say thank you to aldocassidy for mentioning my humble story among such great ones! [face_blush] :)

Obviously, like VaderLVR64, I'm a little biased towards the whole AU thing. That having been said, I truly believe that a good story is a good story and if it's sitting in somebody's head somewhere and not given a voice, then...it's just a waste. :) Were Buck Rogers or Battle Star Galactica (showing my age here) bad shows because they were basically variations on SW? I don't think so. It's amazing how a small moment in a film or story can lead a writer to say "if only this had happened instead of that..." and an AU is born. That's what happened with my story and I'm sure that's what happens with other AU's.

It's only natural that since RoTS came out so recently that we're going to get a glut of RoTS AUs. It's fresh in everybody's mind and we're all thinking about the film and its meaning to us all. I only wish that people who chose to write these stories take the time to craft their tale intelligently and creatively. There's nothing better for me that reading a well-written AU! AU's all the way!!! :D

11. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Actually, history is rich with situations that would have changed drastically if only one small element had been different.

So, I think it natural to ponder how a GFFA might be different if we tweak one situation or character! :D

And I do so love to mess with them! [face_devil]

12. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    Are you thinking of the story we're writing, VaderLVR? ;)

Better get back to figuring out chapter 5 I guess........

13. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Well said, VaderLVR64!

Imagine a world in which a young patent clerk couldn't get his wacky ideas published!!

Imagine a world in which a slightly off-balanced, skinny little German kid got killed in a bar brawl that he started when he kept yapping on and on about how weak and pathetic he thought the foriegners were!

Imagine a world in which a certain Pope in the 3rd Century decided that this Christianity thing is for the birds and decides to continue his life of debauchery.

Imagine a world in which a planet gets struck by a giant meteor that's a little bigger than it can handle and it knocks the little orb out of its perfect little orbit around its sun!

I used to watch sliders a lot! Not a very realistic premise...but...AU central! :D

14. DCWiz00

DCWiz00 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2004
    Sliders is a natural AU Plot Bunny generator. ;)

15. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    I'm big into English history and when I was about thirteen I wrote a story in which Anne Boleyn gave birth to a son instead of Elizabeth I. :D

See, I was geeky even then! :cool:

16. Aelan_Greenleaf

Aelan_Greenleaf Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    Too mayn RotS AU's? Never!

Alterntate Universes are my thing. They are what I write, and what I crave to read. You never know what's coming and you know that almost anything could happen. I've written Star Trek, Star Wars and Stargate SG-1 fics (I know, I love everything with the title Star-something!), and they are almost all AU.

As for RotS, I have to admit that I have written one, and quite frankly, I'm really enjoying it. I like RotS AU's as long as they are original, well-written and stay in character. So if you've got one, go for it! :)

I do have to say, though, if I had the chance, I wouldn't change a thing about RotS. I love it just the way it is, angst-ridden and full of robotic dialogue!

17. Erin_21

Erin_21 Jedi Master star 2

May 27, 2005
    Hi :), well I just wanted to say that every AU is soooo welcomed!! specially when they have a good ending :D , I have been reading, and reading, and reading, and is amazing to find all this stories, I have to say I think there are to little Au's!! RotS, or Qui-gon lives, or Vader survives and things work out, or anything, the more good endings the better =D= , and thanks to every author in this beautiful board!!! be well and take care.

18. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    I think AU's are the best kind of fics. And I loooove the ROTS ones. They are the b est kind.. I'm actully in middle of writing one.

19. happygolucky

happygolucky Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2002
    Pallas: I couldn't compliment you enough on To Stop the Suns from Setting.

dianethx-"A good AU is worth Corusca gems!"
    ishy- "And a bad AU can be worth...Jar-jar. wink"

[face_laugh]

VaderLVR- I completely agree, I wasn't originally into revisionist history, but about 3 years ago my best friend moved into the area and lives in a world made entirely of revisionist history. My dad does as well, for that matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.